Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmwpowere36m3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
I have a 500GB external HD that I've used with my old MBP and now I'm questioning whats the best scheme for backing up my MBP HD. I was thinking:

• Partition 1: Bootable OS X (with nothing, like factory install), to use in troubleshooting if my MBP dies.
  • Partition 2: Use Time Machine or CCC to backup all files

I don't know the pros or cons of using TM vs. CCC. Some help would be appreciated. If I did decide to create a bootable partition, what size would it need to be (blank OS X Lion). Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
CCC can make a bootable backup of your entire drive, including user data, apps, operating system, etc. TM cannot make bootable backups.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I see no reason to create 2 partitions. The time machine backup files just exist in a hidden folder on your normal-formated external disk that can still be used any way you like.

Just format the drive normally with 1 partition, install a bootable OS X on it, and then when you're asked if you want to use that drive as your time machine backup drive simply click "yes".

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I have a 500GB external HD that I've used with my old MBP and now I'm questioning whats the best scheme for backing up my MBP HD. I was thinking:

• Partition 1: Bootable OS X (with nothing, like factory install), to use in troubleshooting if my MBP dies.
  • Partition 2: Use Time Machine or CCC to backup all files

I don't know the pros or cons of using TM vs. CCC. Some help would be appreciated. If I did decide to create a bootable partition, what size would it need to be (blank OS X Lion). Thanks.

Multiple backup strategies are always good. As well as multiple external drives that get rotated in/out.

I am just using time machine right now but rotating multiple drives in and out. Periodically I erase the current time machine backup partition thus forcing a new complete time machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.