Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1
netdog
macrumors 603

Best Easy true WYSIWYG Web Builder 2011

I tried to get by with iWeb despite the fact that it came up rendering differently (and sometimes unacceptably) on different browsers. It was quite good enough or powerful enough, but it came very close and was very easy to I used it.

Now that iWeb is orphaned, I don't dare keep using it and am looking for an easy Web creation program, hopefully that's better than iWeb and also allows me to start with a blank page rather than forcing me into one of their pre-existing templates.

While back in the days of HTML 1 and 2, I used to write pages with a text editor, I have no interest in now learning CSS and HTML5, but want a program that will do it for me.

Thanks to all!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816

Try Adobe Muse. It's new and still in beta, kind of a hybrid of Dreamweaver, Photoshop and InDesign/Illustrator. I've been using it and am liking it, and while I haven't yet published anything as a site yet, the HTML files it exports look good.
http://muse.adobe.com/
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:34 PM   #3
lhotka
macrumors regular

I'm in this hunt too - here's the net of what I've found:

Sandvox - way too dumbed down (can't even set page widith).
RapidWeaver - not WYSIWYG (editing is separate from layout).
Muse - great editor, can't publish anywhere but Adobe (and that darn subscription model is $$$$$)
Freeway Pro/Express - WYSIWYG but not free layout (i.e. can't put an image where you want it) - still requires knowledge of HTML.
Dreamweaver - heavy duty, but not free layout.
Flux - Dreamweaver done right.

In other words, there's no decent iWeb replacement out there right now - to do that it needs to be:

1) Able to publish to any server
2) True WYSIWYG
3) Able to do basic site formatting (like page width) without hand-editing CSS
4) Able to do drag/drop placement of images and text without futzing with tables, etc (i.e. free layout).
lhotka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
anubis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
Muse - great editor, can't publish anywhere but Adobe (and that darn subscription model is $$$$$)
Not entirely true. In muse, go to File -> Export as HTML. Then you can use an FTP client like Filezilla to upload to your host server
anubis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:12 AM   #5
lhotka
macrumors regular

Thanks - I didn't think of such a manual approach, but the lack of a true publish function (with delta updates instead of a complete reload) is an issue. Hopefully Adobe will resolve that in the final release.

And rethink the subscription model - there should be a bigger discount if you buy it for a year at once.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
anubis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
Thanks - I didn't think of such a manual approach, but the lack of a true publish function (with delta updates instead of a complete reload) is an issue. Hopefully Adobe will resolve that in the final release.

And rethink the subscription model - there should be a bigger discount if you buy it for a year at once.
Interestingly, Muse use to have the ability to save only the delta changes, but in a recent update they took that functionality out; now "Export as HTML" resaves the entire site every time. And, I agree about the subscription pricing - definitely a huge turn off. Not sure what I'm going to do once Muse exits beta and starts costing money.
anubis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:49 PM   #7
isifoo
macrumors newbie

Adobe Edge

Try adobe edge.
It's totally wysiwyg and it's easy and there's plenty of tutorials on youtube to get started. It export to html5 and looks great on all browsers.
Like muse it's in beta/preview stage but still runs great and you can do amazing animation with it. Checkout my site all done in edge.
http://gerry.rufman.com
isifoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:56 AM   #8
lhotka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
Interestingly, Muse use to have the ability to save only the delta changes, but in a recent update they took that functionality out; now "Export as HTML" resaves the entire site every time. And, I agree about the subscription pricing - definitely a huge turn off. Not sure what I'm going to do once Muse exits beta and starts costing money.
I'll probably bite the bullet and do it, but since I don't update the site all the time, I may go the month-by-month route.

Adobe appears to be making it a policy to annoy customers (e.g. their 'must be on 5 to get 6 upgrade policy). Someone over there is feeling the revenue crunch from flash's impending demise.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:41 AM   #9
creativesmith
macrumors newbie

Freeway...

Try Freeway 5, either Express or Pro. It's flexible, easy, and adaptable to just about any need.

Here's a sample created with Freeway Express: www.allaboutsmith.com.
creativesmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 02:09 PM   #10
lhotka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativesmith View Post
Try Freeway 5, either Express or Pro. It's flexible, easy, and adaptable to just about any need.

Here's a sample created with Freeway Express: www.allaboutsmith.com.
Tried them both, but they don't allow placing text/images where I want them (what I call free layout). The images still flow with the text.
Old May 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #11
lhotka
macrumors regular

And resurrecting my old thread - I've been using Muse - I bit the bullet on the subscription for a while, but the whole Creative Cloud thing brought it up again. That and I'm getting sick and tired of having to have Air installed on my machine.

Any advancements in the past 18 months out there?
Old May 14, 2013, 08:22 PM   #12
lucidmedia
macrumors 6502a

With semantic markup becoming increasingly important, it seems that companies are pushing WYSIWYG web interfaces less and less. I am seeing fewer companies invest in this space... Semantic markup cannot be done by a machine... it is a human process, like editing, that computers can't really mimic accurately unless you have a lot of control over how the content is structured when it is input (like in a CMS)

We had a client pass us a project done in Muse, and the code was so poorly formatted we had to rebuild most of it when we went to tie it to live data... so it would up being a lot more expensive than doing it right the first time.
lucidmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #13
lhotka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidmedia View Post
With semantic markup becoming increasingly important, it seems that companies are pushing WYSIWYG web interfaces less and less. I am seeing fewer companies invest in this space... Semantic markup cannot be done by a machine... it is a human process, like editing, that computers can't really mimic accurately unless you have a lot of control over how the content is structured when it is input (like in a CMS)

We had a client pass us a project done in Muse, and the code was so poorly formatted we had to rebuild most of it when we went to tie it to live data... so it would up being a lot more expensive than doing it right the first time.
We don't need/want semantic markup - just static web pages (no link to active data at all). No need/desire to edit the HTML directly (just need it to work on the usual collection of browsers). Mobile is nice, but not necessary. In other words, I need folks to be able to add content (particularly new galleries and pages) without having to write code.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Lgreer
macrumors newbie

Squarespace is pretty awesome. Check it out. Also, there're sites like Wix and others. See this post: http://line25.com/articles/which-hos...-right-for-you
Any of these is going to be better than a native software solution.

With the money you're thinking about spending on software that maybe looks okay, but actually puts the code out wrong, you could just hire a web designer to make your site. There's no such thing as a WYSIWYG website builder that actually does it right.

Disclaimer: I'm a freelance web designer.
Lgreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 10:47 AM   #15
lhotka
macrumors regular

Unfortunately, we can't use a hosted builder.

It costs a *lot* more than a couple hundred bucks to have a site built - and then there's the ongoing updates and changes, which add up to far more than a software package.

But thanks for the idea!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development