Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

I just deleted my Facebook!

After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2
rick snagwell
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.
you will be amazed at how much time you have now that you don't have a facebook.

see if you can keep off of it for 2 weeks.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
Good for you. Facebook is such a time waster and it only makes me angry to look at what's on there.

Unfortunately, your account is just hidden (I'm sure you know this), and cannot actually be deleted.
Abyssgh0st is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
Big D 51
macrumors 6502a

I don't think I'm far behind you. I have 900+ "Facebook" friends. Out of those, 20ish may be true friends.I know them all, but could careless about what they are doing. It's becoming a waste of time.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM   #5
toolbox
macrumors 68020

I nuked mine also, waste of time.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:49 PM   #6
diegoesk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssgh0st View Post
Good for you. Facebook is such a time waster and it only makes me angry to look at what's on there.

Unfortunately, your account is just hidden (I'm sure you know this), and cannot actually be deleted.
Actually your wrong. Theres an option to delete your fb (diff from deactivation).

After you delete you cant login for two weeks or else your account will be reinstated.
diegoesk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:53 PM   #7
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

Lucky you, I was thinking of deleting my account for the second time, I never add a friend anyway and I hardly open it. I did a week or so ago and I really hate receiving welcome back and notification mails I receive since then.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
SDColorado
macrumors 6502

I have a FB account mostly because I have some friends who communicate almost exclusively through FB. Mostly I find it pretty lame and spend almost no time on it. I definitely wouldn't miss my account if I deleted it, though I may lose communications with a friend or two that can't seem to figure out how to communicate outside of FB.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

I deactivated mine a few months ago and never looked back. Facebook's a complete waste of time..
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:59 PM   #10
tmagman
macrumors 6502

i really just use fb as an email account... it would cause me to lose contact with quite a few people if i didn't use it... not to mention it makes a great rolodex to keep people on my list in case they ever go somewhere in the world haha
7D, 15-85, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 70-300 DO, 50 1.4, Lensbabies, Canon S100
tmagman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:39 PM   #11
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagman View Post
i really just use fb as an email account... it would cause me to lose contact with quite a few people if i didn't use it... not to mention it makes a great rolodex to keep people on my list in case they ever go somewhere in the world haha
I agree. There is a lot of Facebook hate on here, but whether people want to admit it or not, social networking is the way of the future and it's not going anywhere. Facebook has so many legit uses, such as the ones you listed. Just last month, my sister finally found her old best friend who she lost contact with 17 years ago and they've been talking non stop ever since. It's a very powerful and useful tool. If you don't have the self control to not waste your entire day on Facebook, it's your own fault, not facebook's. I can honestly say i don't spend more than 10 minutes a day on there, some days i don't even look at it at all. But i just can't see myself deleting it anytime in the near future. I have absolutely no reason to, it's all positive and no negative for me. Facebook can only be what you let it be, and if it's become a negative thing in your life, it's because you let that happen.
likemyorbs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:59 PM   #12
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
I agree. There is a lot of Facebook hate on here, but whether people want to admit it or not, social networking is the way of the future and it's not going anywhere. Facebook has so many legit uses, such as the ones you listed. Just last month, my sister finally found her old best friend who she lost contact with 17 years ago and they've been talking non stop ever since. It's a very powerful and useful tool. If you don't have the self control to not waste your entire day on Facebook, it's your own fault, not facebook's. I can honestly say i don't spend more than 10 minutes a day on there, some days i don't even look at it at all. But i just can't see myself deleting it anytime in the near future. I have absolutely no reason to, it's all positive and no negative for me. Facebook can only be what you let it be, and if it's become a negative thing in your life, it's because you let that happen.
My thought exactly. I have Facebook simply as another form of contact (like a phone number or email address). I barely post things, and when I do they are for a good reason. It's a good way for me to keep in touch with my old friends around the world. Other than that, I never really go on Facebook any more.

BTW, congrats on your new tattoo.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:05 AM   #13
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Exactly. I use it to keep in touch with friends who are all over the world. I spent seven years touring with numerous family and theatrical entertainment shows. You make a lot of friends on these tours. No, they aren't the people you talk to every day, but it's still fun to keep in touch and see what they are up to these days. And it's much easier using Facebook than individually contacting everyone a few times a month to see what's going on.

If your life is based solely in your hometown, with all your friends right there, then maybe it's not as useful. Certainly not a waste of time for me.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:44 AM   #14
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Am I the only person on the world who likes Facebook and doesn't feel like they hate it and have to break an addiction from it?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It kills a bit of time and is kinda fun sometimes. Oh, and I don't see how someone can become addicted to it, it does get boring after 10-15 mins or so.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:59 AM   #15
arkitect
macrumors 68040

I am a relatively new Facebook user.

For me it is no more than a way to catchup again with long "lost" friends all around the globe.
My Friends list only include people I actually know well enough that I'd want to spend the time of day with – which makes it a list of about 40 people.

But for day to day communications I use my phone or email… or even better meeting up in person.
arkitect is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:44 AM   #16
maflynn

I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family that are not in close proximity. Like anything you can go overboard.

People can make the same accusation with MacRumors being a waste of time. Too much of anything is generally not a good thing. I use facebook and it serves a need but I've never played any of the games, I don't go around "liking" pages or what not.

In moderation FaceBook is benign in my opinion
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:27 AM   #17
MacDawg
macrumors P6

It is cool to be the rebel hater of anything that achieves popularity
It gives the sense of being an independent thinker, someone who doesn't follow the crowd

Facebook is neither good or bad in itself, it is just a tool like any other
It is how you use it that makes it what it is in your life

Timewaster? It is the user who wastes the time, not FB
Too many friends you don't know? They don't get added automagically
Too much drama, garbage, etc? Perhaps you should make better friends
MacDawg is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:42 AM   #18
Macman45
macrumors G5

I Haven't Been On

The site for ages....Turned off all the alerts etc. May as well delete it I guess....My real friends and I use FT to chat to each other....We are a pretty far flung bunch, many in NZ, Australia back home in the states etc.

One by one, they have come over to devices and it beats the C**** out of the wasters and wannabe "friends" on FB
Old Dec 7, 2011, 08:06 AM   #19
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I limit my FB friends list to 200 people. Yes, I know I don't have 200 friends in real life, but it allows me to keep in touch with my "real" friends (mind you, I live half the world away from where I was born and raised....), and some people I consider "close acquaintances".

I don't play FB games, and I don't "LIKE" much. I use it to check out my friends' photos from their vacations, family, birthday events that I've missed, and events that I attended. If I didn't have a FaceBook account, I would have missed out on a lot of photos of friends that I rarely get to see. Yes, you could still email each other, but people post their photos on FaceBook now.

Heck, I was just looking through a friend's photos. She lives in Hong Kong. I live 12 hours away.

I don't get the hate. Not being a part of social networking may be OK for you, but I feel that people are either closing their FB accounts because they have no time management skills or self control, or because they enjoy disliking something that's popular. If it bothers you that other people waste their own time on FB, then you're a sad individual anyway.

Rebel all you want. Delete the FaceBook account, throw away that smartphone, and perhaps delete email as well. Why not. I'm absolutely certain that most things are still do-able via more traditional methods.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:40 AM   #20
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I have a friend who deleted his Facebook account last year. He signed up for Google+ though when it arrived. Seems stupid.. he said he liked Google+ because it wasn't overly popular. But that's what makes a social networking site work, when everyone you know uses it.

Facebook has its disadvantages (privacy, obsession etc), but those are outweighed by the advantages (and those are what I use Facebook for):
- Creating events and being able to get an idea of how many friends are attending
- Being able to easily update people on a particular event
- Being able to send a group message to people to arrange something (i.e. round of golf)
- Uploading photos of an event and sharing those as well as seeing other people's photos of a particular event
- A contact method for old friends that would be impossible to track down otherwise
- Status updates that are worthy of being read (such as: 'spare ticket to a show' etc).

Facebook's usefulness and how elegant it is largely depends on who you are friends with. I've removed a whole bunch of people I don't talk to, and among those were girls I knew from high school who still haven't grown up (I'm 23) and post attention seeking updates. It's really only my good friends that I have on Facebook.
Kilamite is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 AM   #21
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

So instead you started a thread to update your status?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
So instead you started a thread to update your status?
Post of the day.
Mac'nCheese is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:58 AM   #23
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Am I the only person on the world who likes Facebook and doesn't feel like they hate it and have to break an addiction from it?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It kills a bit of time and is kinda fun sometimes. Oh, and I don't see how someone can become addicted to it, it does get boring after 10-15 mins or so.
I use it, I may spend a total of 10 minutes a day on it. Like you said, if you're wasting too much time on it, is it really Facebook's fault, or your own?

I also keep my list of friends reasonably small. I wouldn't be able (or want) to keep up with a few hundred people.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
I also keep my list of friends reasonably small. I wouldn't be able (or want) to keep up with a few hundred people.
Facebook decides who to cover in your News Feed now anyway. Not sure how their algorithm works..
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:06 AM   #25
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

I got tired of Facebook's endless time wasting and privacy intruding a year or two back. I just locked down my settings as much as I could, and stopped logging in.

I can't really see any point in deleting my profile there. There are some people I'm linked to who I want to stay in touch with - but I don't need to talk to them regularly. I think of Facebook more as 'antisocial networking' - I can stay in contact without actually speaking to them!!

I get an email if anyone has messaged me - and I will log back in to reply, but that's about it. There's no private information on there that I'm really bothered about.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
deleted facebook account