Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:54 PM   #1
kat.hayes
macrumors 6502

Email app keeps telling me my password is wrong even though it is correct

Occasionally the email app will not download my gmail and a prompt comes up asking me to reenter the password because it's incorrect. The password is correct and I reenter the correct one. I'm able to check my gmail in safari, it's just the email app not working. It has happened before though it just starts working again. Today it has stopped working for several hours. Any idea why it might be doing this? I have gmail setup as an exchange account.

Thanks.
kat.hayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
BigB82
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BigB82
i had the same issue it was SUPER annoying the best quickest fix I found was to go in google and change my pw and reinput the new pw in exchange and in all my other settings
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I had a password with a space in it, and my iPhone would get it "wrong" half the time, telling me my password was wrong, even when I entered it correctly.

The only fix I found was to simply change my password to something else. Something less complex.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Almy
macrumors 6502

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the password was correct I kept getting a failure message. After some googling I found the google captcha site and that fixed my problem.

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It happened a couple more times but that still fixed it. Haven't had trouble since but if I do I'll just try to find a way to disable it.
Almy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:03 PM   #5
kicko
macrumors 65816

Just turn the phone off and power back up. That fixes it everytime my Gmail feels like acting up. If after that i'd look at maybe a password reset but power down has always worked for me
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
gwang73
macrumors regular

Have you tried to setup gmail as an exchange account rather than an IMAP account?

I've run into the same issue before but not after I switched my setup to exchange.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:24 PM   #7
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Even though the password was correct I kept getting a failure message. After some googling I found the google captcha site and that fixed my problem.

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It happened a couple more times but that still fixed it. Haven't had trouble since but if I do I'll just try to find a way to disable it.
Thank you, this seems to have done the trick, it was driving both me and the wife nuts. Worked like a charm.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
john.orban
macrumors newbie

Thanks, Almy

The Captcha link did it for me. I have an iMac, iPhone, Mac Pro, MacBook, iPad and iPad Mini - I guess Google thought I was trying to pull something on them.

Thanks for the link.

John
john.orban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Almy
macrumors 6502

Awesome, glad it still helps!
Almy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier