Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 27, 2005, 02:01 PM   #1
montypython
macrumors newbie

Arrow iMac G5 Overheating...

I was wondering if there was anyone who has developed their own fix or come across a fix for the iMac G5 (rev a or b) overheating problem. It seems there are a lot of reports out there on this, but no one has thought about a fix yet. Any help will be great.
montypython is offline   0
Old May 27, 2005, 02:02 PM   #2
James Philp

Is yours overheating?
What happens when it does?
James Philp is offline   0
Old May 27, 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
paulie
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to paulie Send a message via AIM to paulie Send a message via MSN to paulie
Overheating?

I have a new 20" iMac G5 2Ghz. I run it pretty hard (play a DVD while playing WoW, while making iMovie process titles) and the only thing that happens is that the fan comes on so I can hear it.

Rock solid performer this beast is.
Old May 27, 2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Xtremehkr
macrumors 68000

Never had an overheating problem. On wednesday I'll be using it in Phoenix, if it doesn't overheat there. So we'll see how that goes, but if it doesn't overheat there I can't think of many places that are hotter in summer. Maybe Death Valley.
Old May 28, 2005, 01:11 PM   #5
montypython
macrumors newbie

I am debating between the 15' PowerBook G4 and the iMac G5 for video editing and web program development. I was all set to get the G5, but then found these isolated instances and wanted to make sure that I didn't get into something that I would regret. So for now I am stalled in my decision making process and was hoping that there was some fix that I could make as soon as I got it that would help my iMac from not overheating.

Thanks Everyone.
Old May 28, 2005, 01:28 PM   #6
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Well my fans are almost constantly whining up...it is really annoying, i have only really noticed this since Tiger...
vouder17 is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 01:34 PM   #7
asif786
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to asif786 Send a message via MSN to asif786
Quote:
Originally Posted by vouder17
Well my fans are almost constantly whining up...it is really annoying, i have only really noticed this since Tiger...
heh, i know what you mean. every time i'm in the same room as this thing i feel like banging my head on the wall!

i'm just going to try phoning apple up and kicking up a fuss until i get the problem escalated and they agree to replace the unit.

monty, if you're thinking of getting an imac g5, remember that they've just been updated - apple tend to fix these annoying products when rev.2 comes out, so maybe you'll be ok with an imac g5..
Old May 28, 2005, 01:45 PM   #8
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

This sound bad

My friend who I got to switch to a Mac (iMac G5 17") in October, called me today to say that his machine does the same. In the console it displays a message about overheating.

I work as an Apple Authorised Technician, and in my job today, we had an iMac G5 with the same fault. It was a 20" model.

Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem.

Now im worried!!!
alexprice is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 02:04 PM   #9
montypython
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexprice
Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem.

Now im worried!!!
What are the major problems you have found and how often are you seeing them?

If you were in the market for a computer would you get the iMac G5.
Old May 28, 2005, 02:17 PM   #10
killuminati
macrumors 68020

I just got my 17" 2Ghz yesterday. At first the fans were driving me crazy. But I found, that if you change the processor performance from Highest to Automatic, it completely fixes the problem. Before my fans were blasting just surfing the web. Now I can do that and its whisper quiet.
Old May 28, 2005, 02:36 PM   #11
nylon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by killuminati
I just got my 17" 2Ghz yesterday. At first the fans were driving me crazy. But I found, that if you change the processor performance from Highest to Automatic, it completely fixes the problem. Before my fans were blasting just surfing the web. Now I can do that and its whisper quiet.
Yes, switching the processor performance to 'high' causes a constant whine of the fan and high temperatures. However, in 'automatic' mode everything runs silent and at ambient temperatures.
nylon is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
...Since the iMacs came out in last year I have fixed loads and loads of iMac G5 faults but have never come across this problem....
if you havent encountered this problem before then thatt would indicate it's a pretty rare problem.....I don't remember reading about "overheating" here on these boards either and if it was a commonm problem you can be sure it would be the topic of many threads asking for help
Macky-Mac is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 04:05 PM   #13
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif786
heh, i know what you mean. every time i'm in the same room as this thing i feel like banging my head on the wall!

i'm just going to try phoning apple up and kicking up a fuss until i get the problem escalated and they agree to replace the unit.

monty, if you're thinking of getting an imac g5, remember that they've just been updated - apple tend to fix these annoying products when rev.2 comes out, so maybe you'll be ok with an imac g5..
This is a good idea...Maybe i should do the same. Maybe they can change it with a Rev B
vouder17 is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 05:18 PM   #14
iBunny
macrumors 65816

Do you have Virex installed?
Mid 2010 15" MBP / i7 2.66 / 8GB RAM / 120GB Vertex 3 / Hi-Res Glossy/OS X 10.7
iBunny is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 06:12 PM   #15
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
There is something that will spins the fans down to where they're supposed to be. What happens is that the iMac gets really hot and so the fans kick up quite a bit, but when the iMac cools off, the fans don't spin back down to where they were when you first used it. So even when its running at normal temps, it seems loud.

Here's what to do:

1. Reboot your iMac G5 and press and hold Apple+Option+O+F until it says on the screen to release those buttons. You're now in the Open Firmware.

2. Type in the following EXACTLY as typed:

reset-nvram (press return after typing that)

3. Then type in reset-all (press return after typing that) and you're iMac will restart.

4. Let your iMac boot all the way up and then shut it off.

5. Unplug it and then take the back off to get access to the logicboard.

6. Near the center of the logicboard you'll see 2 buttons. Press the lower of the 2 buttons ONLY ONCE!!!

Now if you have to ask what the logicboard is, then you shouldn't be doing this.

I'm not responsible for screwing up your iMac!!!!!
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old May 28, 2005, 07:13 PM   #16
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBunny
Do you have Virex installed?
Are you talking to Moi...If so..nope i dont do virus programs..
vouder17 is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 12:50 AM   #17
joshua_msu
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremehkr
Never had an overheating problem. On wednesday I'll be using it in Phoenix, if it doesn't overheat there. So we'll see how that goes, but if it doesn't overheat there I can't think of many places that are hotter in summer. Maybe Death Valley.

What, are you using it outside?
joshua_msu is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 12:56 AM   #18
Platform
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by killuminati
That's good but does it affect performance Well a bit but how much

Last edited by Platform; May 29, 2005 at 01:23 AM.
Platform is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 04:34 AM   #19
Etrain
macrumors 6502

I have mine set to auto and it's very fast. I don't notice any difference during normal use like browsing, iTunes, etc. For intense things I switch to highest.
Etrain is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 05:33 AM   #20
Platform
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrain
I have mine set to auto and it's very fast. I don't notice any difference during normal use like browsing, iTunes, etc. For intense things I switch to highest.
Well can you please say what intense is......PS, games or
Old May 29, 2005, 07:48 AM   #21
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by montypython
What are the major problems you have found and how often are you seeing them?

If you were in the market for a computer would you get the iMac G5.
20" Invertors failing producing a half lit screen

17" Noisey PSU's

20" Middle screw to remove back cover turns forever leaving the back stuck on

17" & 20" models very fussy about ram

17" & 20" models with noisey fans

17" & 20" models lacking power

These are the common issues that I see most, personally I wouldn't buy one. Its too early to comment on the Rev.B's
alexprice is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 09:32 AM   #22
vouder17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
20" Invertors failing producing a half lit screen

17" Noisey PSU's

20" Middle screw to remove back cover turns forever leaving the back stuck on

17" & 20" models very fussy about ram

17" & 20" models with noisey fans

17" & 20" models lacking power

These are the common issues that I see most, personally I wouldn't buy one. Its too early to comment on the Rev.B's
Ok it isnt that bad. i am very happy with my iMac. The only annoying thing that i really have is that the fans whirl up quite often. But this has been a problem that has only started since Tiger. I truly believe that Tiger actually still needs a bit of work. Later this week i am gonna re-install tiger and see if it fixes the problems....
vouder17 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers