Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I have an aluminum and glass MacBook that I bought right after they came out with them. It has a 2GHz processor, 2 GB of memory and OS X Lion.

For a few months before lion came out I noticed it slowing down a little. I was thinking about dumping everything off of it like I do with my PC, but didn't have time or know if that's what oh do with macs. I got lion and it seemed to slow down even more.

Today I was online and all of a sudden the web pages started scrolling without me doing anything. I went to quit safari and the menu was scrolling. Everywhere I went it wouldn't quit scrolling. Finally I got it shut down and turned it back on. It works good now but slow.

Now my questions is, what should I do to fix the slowness? I run disc utility sometimes and it doesn't seem to help. I have everything backed up on my time capsule so if dumping it is the best option I think I should be good. If you recommend to dump it, how should I do it? Thanks

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.934964,-89.620398

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
First, 2Gb little for lion, even with snow leopard I think 4Gb is better.
If you think you have any hardware problem just run the AHT CD that came with your computer (that one that says "press D to...").
About performance tips, I only use Onyx, but sometimes a full re-install is needed.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I went through that list of things and haven't noticed much of a change.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Thats an idea. I don't want to buy a new hd if i'm not sure though.

Here are examples:
-Typing this post, the text on screen doesn't keep up with my typing and i don't type that fast.
-If I click file or anything the response is really slow
-Startup takes forever
-Opening apps takes a long time
-When changing the volume, the menu pops up on the screen seconds after I adjust it

I have been reading posts about people having this issue after installing lion and they say to reinstall it. I have everything backed up on my time capsule but it would be great if i could solve this without wiping everything

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks! Apple says the maximum ram I can have is 4gb and that one website you gave me says 8gb. I'm a college student and use my Mac mostly for internet browsing, iTunes and iWork. Would it be beneficial to do the 8? Or should I play it safe and do the 4?
Chances are high that you'll never need more than 4GB. You can always add RAM later if you find you need it. The longer you wait to buy, the lower the price will be.

By the way, you don't have to add that "I am here:" to every post you make. Just put it in your signature.

From Forum Rules:
Simulated signatures. Signatures must be set in the User Control Panel and not simulated within posts, so that other members can choose whether or not to display them.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Have you checked your activity monitor for any runaway processes or Apps? I have often encountered that browsers/plugin combinations can cause runaway threads taking up 50% or even 100% of your CPU.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Have you checked your activity monitor for any runaway processes or Apps? I have often encountered that browsers/plugin combinations can cause runaway threads taking up 50% or even 100% of your CPU.

How do I check for that? So far my system memory free is 2.5gb and page outs are 0bytes. CPU % user is 1.25, %system is 1.75, % idle is 95, threads is 443 and processes is 90. Disc usage is 40gb utilized and 118.5 free. I don't know what any of that means but here is some info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.