Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
So I've got a MacBook Pro 13 2010 and I've put a new hard drive in it (OCZ Vertex 120gb SSD) but when I try to install OS X from the CD that came with the laptop it just stays on the screen with the grey Apple logo and the spinner below it. I left it on this screen for about 2 hours and nothing changed. Any advice?

P.S. The connectors are working fine because when I put the old HDD back it works, also with the new HDD when I hold down Option on boot to see the devices the new HDD isn't there, should it be?

Thanks in advance :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You tried holding the C key to boot from the optical drive? What about holding the option key as it reboots this should give you an option to choose the optical drive or any other bootable drive

Alandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
You tried holding the C key to boot from the optical drive? What about holding the option key as it reboots this should give you an option to choose the optical drive or any other bootable drive

Yeah I did that and I select the drive, its then that it just stays on the described screen although the cd drive sounds like it's working but surely it wouldn't take over 2 hours!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
So I've got a MacBook Pro 13 2010 and I've put a new hard drive in it (OCZ Vertex 120gb SSD) but when I try to install OS X from the CD that came with the laptop it just stays on the screen with the grey Apple logo and the spinner below it. I left it on this screen for about 2 hours and nothing changed. Any advice?

P.S. The connectors are working fine because when I put the old HDD back it works, also with the new HDD when I hold down Option on boot to see the devices the new HDD isn't there, should it be?

Thanks in advance :)
The new HDD won't appear in the Option-invoked boot menu until it's been formatted. That is normal. What isn't normal is for the Mac to take that long and still not boot from the disc. You might want to try a Verbose Mode boot and see if that gives any clues as to what's going on: Instructions

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I had an OCZ Vertex 60 in my MacBook Pro and it died in a week. The Vertex 2 that replaced it works great. Stick with SSDs that use Sandforce controllers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The new HDD won't appear in the Option-invoked boot menu until it's been formatted. That is normal. What isn't normal is for the Mac to take that long and still not boot from the disc. You might want to try a Verbose Mode boot and see if that gives any clues as to what's going on: Instructions

No it wouldn't but I was hoping by using that boot option he'd be able to boot off the install disc in the optical drive.

Alandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010

Okay so I did what you said and booted in verbose mode, it loaded some things then just repeated the following lines every few seconds:

disk1s3: I/O Error.
SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, sense key=0x03, asc = 0x11, ascq = 0.00

Which leads me to assume there is something wrong with the disk drive although it works fine for DVDs etc. So is it the CD? When I right click > information on the CD in disk util it says the CD is disk1s3.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Okay so I did what you said and booted in verbose mode, it loaded some things then just repeated the following lines every few seconds:

disk1s3: I/O Error.

Which leads me to assume there is something wrong with the disk drive although it works fine for DVDs etc. So is it the CD? When I right click > information on the CD in disk util it says the CD is disk1s3.
Yes. Odds are the disc itself is not readable. The drive is fine.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You should be able to call Apple and get replacement disks. At most, there will be a small charge.

jW

Alandalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
You should be able to call Apple and get replacement disks. At most, there will be a small charge.

jW

Is there another way to install a copy of this? Will it make a difference if I just use the retail snow leopard disk?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Is there another way to install a copy of this? Will it make a difference if I just use the retail snow leopard disk?

A retail disk won't work in your machine. It will contain an earlier version of Mac OS X than shipped with your computer.

jW

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Is there another way to install a copy of this?
If you have an external USB drive case (or buy a cheap one) you should be able to install the new drive in that, and use Disk Util to format it, and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing HD to the external drive.
Then swap the drives. You could try this while waiting for Apple to get your replacement disks to you.

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I'm having this same issue with my iMac. New HD, OS X install DVD just spins for a while and then nothing. I've tried every (insert profanity here) command I could find on Google, and still the same problem.

Anyone wanna buy a crappy iMac?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm having this same issue with my iMac. New HD, OS X install DVD just spins for a while and then nothing. I've tried every (insert profanity here) command I could find on Google, and still the same problem.
Did you at least try my Verbose Boot suggestion, to try and figure out what may be causing it to fail? If you need help interpreting boot logs, I can do that too. :)

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
No I have not. I will try that tonight when I get home from work. The only computer access I have at the moment is here at work during the day.

Thanks for the suggestion.

marcobra

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
windhoek
cant install mac osx

Hi there i have a new harddrive and i did format it using mac disk utility and install int in my macbookpro i cant still manage to install my mac osx mountain lion from my dvd on my screen there is the apple logo and the spinning icon after sometime it's shows a ø symbole what does it mean ?thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.