Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
AmandaWahoo
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro keyboard backlight not working

Yesterday evening, I turned my MBP on and I noticed that the keys weren't lighting up. I tried covering the sensor, and adjusting the settings, nothing happened. I had some additional RAM installed and I thought something may have come loose but we opened it up again and couldn't find anything.
Also, this is odd: Yesterday when I first noticed the problem, I was under keyboard in the preferences and there is an option that you can check that says "Automatically..." Now that's not there... I don't know, perhaps a setting somewhere was changed.

Any help will be wonderful

EDIT: also the buttons themselves are not working anymore since I noticed this change in the preferences screen. The icons are not appearing on the screen at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-01-08 at 6.10.14 PM.png
Views:	735
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	319229  
AmandaWahoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Try resetting the SMC.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:19 AM   #3
trlyka
macrumors 6502

I'm having trouble too. I'm typing right now and the keyboard is off. If I lift the Macbook off my lap and tilt it towards me, it comes on for a second. Then when I put it down it goes out again. Also, F5&F6 (keyboard brightness) won't respond. It worked before but isn't responding now. Because the keyboard backlight is off? If I lift the keyboard, then the brightness adj. works. I just moved the laptop to my tray table, closer to the outside light and the keyboard is now on. I haven't had this issue before. It's something new. It is darker where I had it on my lap so I'm a little perplexed. The sensor is front right? It wasn't covered. And if it was, wouldn't that make the keyboard stay on?
trlyka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
maflynn

Did you try hitting the fn+F6 key combination to increase the brightness? That usually works for me. Conversely use the fn+F5 key to cycle down the keyboard backlight.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:07 AM   #5
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Did you try hitting the fn+F6 key combination to increase the brightness? That usually works for me. Conversely use the fn+F5 key to cycle down the keyboard backlight.
FN assuming his settings are F# by default. I, on the other hand, need to press FN + key to use the F#. In other words, if his settings are the same as mine, he doesn't need to hit FN to increase brightness.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:53 PM   #6
trlyka
macrumors 6502

The F5 and F6 keys do work, but the keyboard wasn't lighting up at all unless I tilted the laptop up or moved it off my lap. And at that time, when the keyboard was dark, the F5 and F6 keys were not responding. I would see the brightness level indicator on the screen, but there was a O with a line through it and all the lines indicating the brightness level were greyed out. It's dark outside and I'm sitting in a fairly dimly lit room now and the keyboard is lit and staying lit, so I don't know what was going on. I'll see if it happens again tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:14 PM   #7
GuitarG20
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlyka View Post
The F5 and F6 keys do work, but the keyboard wasn't lighting up at all unless I tilted the laptop up or moved it off my lap. And at that time, when the keyboard was dark, the F5 and F6 keys were not responding. I would see the brightness level indicator on the screen, but there was a O with a line through it and all the lines indicating the brightness level were greyed out. It's dark outside and I'm sitting in a fairly dimly lit room now and the keyboard is lit and staying lit, so I don't know what was going on. I'll see if it happens again tomorrow morning.
The part that was bolded occurred because you were in a brightly lit area. because of this, the keyboard backlight didn't need to be on, so it was not on and would not let you turn it on.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:55 PM   #8
trlyka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarG20 View Post
The part that was bolded occurred because you were in a brightly lit area. because of this, the keyboard backlight didn't need to be on, so it was not on and would not let you turn it on.
Ok, I thought the sensor was in the front right, which is the IR sensor. I didn't realize it was by the webcam. That makes more sense.
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
mcghee33
macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem as amanda after replacing my ram. I reset the pram and did the smc rest and to no avail. the F5 and F6 buttons work but not as the function for the backlit keyboard. All other F keys work properly and I also no longer have the option in the keyboard section of disk utility for the backlit keyboard. What else can I do????
mcghee33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:44 PM   #10
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarG20 View Post
Thanks for the knowledge, had no idea!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #11
ahliman
macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue. Here's the story with solution:
After adding some new RAM I've noticed, that the keys weren't lighting up. Also under keyboard in the preferences the "Automatically..." wasn't there anymore. Exactly as Amanda described. SMC and PRAM resets didn't help.
Long surfing sessions and countless forums later I found a hint guiding my attention to a tiny cable which is easily disconnected working on the RAM. If you're sitting infront of your open MacBook in order to change the RAM, the corresponding cables are on the left hand side. They are really small, bifilar and covered with a small piece of cellotape. This cable was disconnected, so I fiddled it into the right place and covered it again.
I closed the backside and started the Mac Daddy. The keyboard was still not working. This changed after a last SMC reset.

Backlight is back and I am happy. Hope this is going to help you.

Regards from Germany...

Last edited by ahliman; Jun 9, 2012 at 04:00 AM.
ahliman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:46 AM   #12
ash300
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcghee33 View Post
I am having the exact same problem as amanda after replacing my ram. I reset the pram and did the smc rest and to no avail. the F5 and F6 buttons work but not as the function for the backlit keyboard. All other F keys work properly and I also no longer have the option in the keyboard section of disk utility for the backlit keyboard. What else can I do????
I had the same problem. I upgraded the Ram and somehow a small tab dislodged without me knowing. the illumination keys (F5 and F6) was unresponsive. I tried setting the SMC which then meant that the illuminate keyboard entry under system preferences/keyboard disappeared.

Having just opened up the back I noticed a minute cable had been dislodged near to where the RAM is. it is really fiddley to replace and you need something like a toothpick to guide it back in. once in you need to reset the SMC to recognise the backlight function and thereafter the backlight function should reappear and the backlight should work again.

However, I must admit I am a novice when it comes to computers and will never try to install RAM again for fear of something else going wrong.
ash300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:51 PM   #13
YvonneG
macrumors newbie

MafLynn is right . . .

The "fn" & "f6" keys together 100% worked for me . . . Thank you : )
YvonneG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:50 AM   #14
Malakit
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Thank you all for the hint about that tiny cable, I just upgraded the RAM on my Macbook Pro and had exactly the problem as the OP.

I've attached a picture of the cable for the next unlucky guy who pulls it out, it's the small ribbon cable with the number 1&2 in the image below.

I guess there's usually a small piece of tape holding it in place, in my case it must have fallen off.

Name:  IMG_1608 cropped.jpeg
Views: 57471
Size:  36.7 KB
Malakit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:50 PM   #15
roraighprice
macrumors newbie

Simila but different

i have also had a problem were my F5-6 would stop working with no change.
but the difference is i have not done any upgrades and the lights still work.
i just dont have control over them from my account. as soon as i go to the login window i can change the backlighting with the F5-6 but once i am back in my account i lose controll over the lights again.
so basicaly if i whant to use my backlight keyboard i have to go to the login window change it to what i want then log back in.
roraighprice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:25 AM   #16
hagfish
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roraighprice View Post
i have also had a problem were my F5-6 would stop working with no change.
but the difference is i have not done any upgrades and the lights still work.
i just dont have control over them from my account. as soon as i go to the login window i can change the backlighting with the F5-6 but once i am back in my account i lose controll over the lights again.
so basicaly if i whant to use my backlight keyboard i have to go to the login window change it to what i want then log back in.
Try putting your thumb over the webcam. If "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions' is checked in 'System Preferences > Keyboard', it may be overriding your F5/F6 settings. That's what was going on for me, at any rate.

Just a guess, but changing the RAM may reset the keyboard preferences to some factory setting, even if little ribbon cables aren't knocked around.

Last edited by hagfish; Oct 22, 2012 at 02:31 AM.
hagfish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:49 AM   #17
ashour
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up MacBook Pro keyboard lit not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakit View Post
Thank you all for the hint about that tiny cable, I just upgraded the RAM on my Macbook Pro and had exactly the problem as the OP.

I've attached a picture of the cable for the next unlucky guy who pulls it out, it's the small ribbon cable with the number 1&2 in the image below.

I guess there's usually a small piece of tape holding it in place, in my case it must have fallen off.

Attachment 350805
Thank you for the photo.
It worked perfect. I was frustrated surfing the net for a solution till I found you people.

Thank you all and wish you best of luck.
ashour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:46 AM   #18
ciccilleju
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Attachment 350805
hello there! hi guys it's my first message here i really need your help.

i changed ram on my macbook pro late 2011 for the third time, i always did it without any trouble. This time, ive noticed that the backlight keyboard is not working anymore. i tried to take a look on the cable (21 cable in the picture) but i didnt understand one thing: do i have to insert in, sliding it or it's just a "touch" connector and i have to push it on the connector and cover it with the little black plastic piece? because i tried to fix it but is not working anyway

thank you
ciccilleju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 AM   #19
Malakit
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciccilleju View Post
hello there! hi guys it's my first message here i really need your help.

i changed ram on my macbook pro late 2011 for the third time, i always did it without any trouble. This time, ive noticed that the backlight keyboard is not working anymore. i tried to take a look on the cable (21 cable in the picture) but i didnt understand one thing: do i have to insert in, sliding it or it's just a "touch" connector and i have to push it on the connector and cover it with the little black plastic piece? because i tried to fix it but is not working anyway

thank you
You just slide it into a very narrow, almost invisible slot, I found it by chance. It doesn't snap fast in any way, that's why I suspect there's usually a piece of tape holding it in place.

The copper you see in the photo is the ribbon cable, I couldn't push the cable any farther.

I think it has already been recommended in this thread, but I suggest using a wooden tooth pick to push the cable in place.
Malakit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:03 PM   #20
mclld
macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2008 MBP that has a keyboard with no back light. I found this thread and checked the ribbon cable pictured here but I dont have a ribbon cable anywhere in sight. Do you think it might be pushed under the board? What all do I have to remove to check?
mclld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
ciccilleju
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You just slide it into a very narrow, almost invisible slot, I found it by chance. It doesn't snap fast in any way, that's why I suspect there's usually a piece of tape holding it in place.

The copper you see in the photo is the ribbon cable, I couldn't push the cable any farther.

I think it has already been recommended in this thread, but I suggest using a wooden tooth pick to push the cable in place.
worked great, thanks! your help was precious.

pushing the cable inside was really messy but i got it at the end

thank u
ciccilleju is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:06 PM   #22
darksiderising
macrumors newbie

Quote:

This did the trick. I had to try twice, as the first time I had not pushed it in enough (there is a small amount of resistance at the end before it is fully in place). Thanks!
darksiderising is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:37 PM   #23
Peace Freak
macrumors newbie

Try Lab Tick

I used Lab Tick to restore functionality:

http://labtick.proculo.de
Peace Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:33 PM   #24
Dolorado
macrumors newbie

Talking Thank you! Works Perfect Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagfish View Post
Try putting your thumb over the webcam. If "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions' is checked in 'System Preferences > Keyboard', it may be overriding your F5/F6 settings. That's what was going on for me, at any rate.

Just a guess, but changing the RAM may reset the keyboard preferences to some factory setting, even if little ribbon cables aren't knocked around.
I just covered the webcam and pressed the F6 key to illuminate the keyboard. Then the F1 and F2 keys to lighten darken screen all this time keeping my finger on the webcam. Saved me a trip to the store. Thanks Heaps!
Dolorado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:19 AM   #25
AppleJuice10
macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my ram and dislodged the connector for the Backlight, the tape lost its stickiness thanks to my dirty fingers. does anyone know if i can use regular tape to fix this?
AppleJuice10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro