Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Jack9034
macrumors member

How to restore system preferences to default? Help!

How do I restore System Preferences to its default settings without reinstalling Lion?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Jack9034; Jan 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Jack9034 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 06:22 AM   #2
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack9034 View Post
How do I restore System Preferences to its default settings without reinstalling Lion?

Thanks in advance
Are you having problems with a given preference - if so which one?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Jack9034
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Are you having problems with a given preference - if so which one?
I was playing around with the screen saver. Now I want it back to how it was when I first used the computer. But I do not want to restore Lion.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:19 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I was playing around with the screen saver. Now I want it back to how it was when I first used the computer. But I do not want to restore Lion.

What exactly do you mean by "back to how it was when [you] first used it"? You mean back to the specific screen saver you were using or the settings (the time it takes for the screen saver to become active, for example) that were set by default?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Jack9034
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
What exactly do you mean by "back to how it was when [you] first used it"? You mean back to the specific screen saver you were using or the settings (the time it takes for the screen saver to become active, for example) that were set by default?
I want to restore the System Preferences to the factory default settings.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

There are an awful lot of system preferences. Since you don't want to be specific, you can march through each and use the "restore to default" button, if there is one. Many don't have one, including the Desktop & Screen Saver.

You could try creating a new user, then reboot into that user account. Then make note of the various settings you are interested in. Then reboot back into the first account and apply them.

Or just be more specific.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:43 PM   #7
kpgh554
macrumors regular

Quote:
I want to restore the System Preferences to the factory default settings.
go to users/your named user/preferences .com. apple system preferences.plist move to trash empty trash restart comp system prefs set to default just have to set them how you want.
kpgh554 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgh554 View Post
go to users/your named user/preferences .com. apple system preferences.plist move to trash empty trash restart comp system prefs set to default just have to set them how you want.
Not only is this a very difficult post to read, it's absolutely false. That will reset the System Preferences application's preferences, not the various preferences that it can set.

However, OP, if you delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist, it will recreate it with the default settings. I'd also suggest you calm down significantly, as your tone is getting fairly annoying.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion