Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
WebDevDude
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
How do I change the Finder's sidebar icons?

I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.



Does anyone know how to fix this?
WebDevDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDude View Post
I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

Image

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
WebDevDude
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.
This doesn't work in Lion for any type of folder. I created a custom icon for a folder, then dragged it to the sidebar, but it still came up on the sidebar as a regular folder.
WebDevDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
You cannot change the folder icons in the Finder sidebar anymore.

This is because of how the Finder handles the new monochromatic icons. It sources them from a tiny internal library of various icons and nowhere else (this is to ensure uniformity across anything placed in the sidebar- having a color icon there could cause the universe to end prematurely).

My advice- let Apple know about it. You're not the first person to complain about this (as this is directly related to the lack of color icons in the Finder), and you won't be the last.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

-SC
__________________
2010 Mac Pro (MacPro5,1), 2*2.93ghz, 64GB, 4x2TB, Apple RAID Card, 5970 GPU, 2xSD, Eizo CG276W
ScottishCaptain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
rikscha
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
tedson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
changing Finders sidebar icons in Lion

Here, let me google that for you.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/thre...-sidebar/11038
tedson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s
And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.

Last edited by jameslmoser; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:12 AM   #8
rikscha
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslmoser View Post
And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.
in the 80s my computer didnt have a graphical interface.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
in the 80s my computer didnt have a graphical interface.
Doesn't have to have had a GUI to have been monochrome... All those Apple II's with green monochrome screens... =)
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
sebastiannz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
grey is drab, too minimal even for apple. colour option would be great...will email apple and I'm sure they'll add it :P
sebastiannz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #11
MarceFX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Graná (Spain)
Hey! So, any way to use custom icons on the sidebar instead of the generic one?

Thanks
__________________
-- I ain't no Cinderella, I ain't waitin' for no prince --
MarceFX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Ariez
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s
Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.
Ariez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 07:42 AM   #13
muis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariez View Post
Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.
Completely agree with Ariez.
I hate Apple wannabe's. Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).

OSX is a perfect OS, although its very nice looking!
muis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:30 PM   #14
fmaxwell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by muis View Post
Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).
I hardly think that Apple's use of a BASIC interpreter from Microsoft on a text-based OS is germane to a discussion of the GUI look and feel of OS X.
fmaxwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 05:45 PM   #15
chazabazz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Agreed that this is a frustrating problem. Really cramps my organizational style. I just sent a feedback message to Apple- might be beneficial to do likewise. As stated above by the Scottish Captain, here's the URL:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
chazabazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Created 10.9 Finder Sidebar Color Icons bedifferent OS X Mavericks (10.9) 19 Nov 2, 2014 11:47 PM
Change Finder Sidebar BG and Selection Color 82asmdf203 OS X Mavericks (10.9) 5 Oct 20, 2014 06:59 PM
Color icons in finder's sidebar??? w/o 3rd party solution kensic OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Nov 1, 2013 02:20 AM
Icons don't show up in finder sidebar! drjbio OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 1 Feb 28, 2013 02:22 PM
Sidebar Icons Not Displaying in Finder tzus iMac 9 Oct 6, 2012 12:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC