Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
WebDevDude
macrumors newbie

How do I change the Finder's sidebar icons?

I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
WebDevDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDude View Post
I'm trying to change the Finder's sidebar icons to match my custom icon I've setup for a folder. See the screenshot to see how the icon is a Folder icon, not the custom icon I set on the folder.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
WebDevDude
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Drag or Command-drag any icon off the sidebar. Then drag any file or folder onto the sidebar to add it. It should reflect the icon of the item you added. This works for most cases. However, the item you've selected is a Dropbox folder. Dropbox icons work differently, because they're changed, depending on the status of the folder. I don't think you can get Dropbox folders to work like you want.
This doesn't work in Lion for any type of folder. I created a custom icon for a folder, then dragged it to the sidebar, but it still came up on the sidebar as a regular folder.
WebDevDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

You cannot change the folder icons in the Finder sidebar anymore.

This is because of how the Finder handles the new monochromatic icons. It sources them from a tiny internal library of various icons and nowhere else (this is to ensure uniformity across anything placed in the sidebar- having a color icon there could cause the universe to end prematurely).

My advice- let Apple know about it. You're not the first person to complain about this (as this is directly related to the lack of color icons in the Finder), and you won't be the last.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

-SC
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #5
rikscha
macrumors 6502

and they are right to remove it,

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
tedson
macrumors newbie

changing Finders sidebar icons in Lion

Here, let me google that for you.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/thre...-sidebar/11038
tedson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post

going back to a SL finder is really irritating, the colours are distracting. reminds me a bit of how websites used to look like in the 90s
And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.

Last edited by jameslmoser; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:12 AM   #8
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslmoser View Post
And the monochrome colors don't take you back to the 80s?

Also, if you want monochrome in Snow Leopard, thats an option... If you want color in Lion, well... thats not.
in the 80s my computer didnt have a graphical interface.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
in the 80s my computer didnt have a graphical interface.
Doesn't have to have had a GUI to have been monochrome... All those Apple II's with green monochrome screens... =)
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
sebastiannz
macrumors newbie

grey is drab, too minimal even for apple. colour option would be great...will email apple and I'm sure they'll add it :P
sebastiannz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 01:36 PM   #11
MarceFX
macrumors member

Hey! So, any way to use custom icons on the sidebar instead of the generic one?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Ariez
macrumors regular

Quote:

Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.
Ariez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 07:42 AM   #13
muis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariez View Post
Only a Apple apologist will have this stupid, idiotic, view.

Have it be default, and be minimalistic? Sure I get that, but to remove the way we can customize it and tout "THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!, STOP MESSING WITH PERFECTION!" is pathetic at best.
Completely agree with Ariez.
I hate Apple wannabe's. Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).

OSX is a perfect OS, although its very nice looking!
muis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:30 PM   #14
fmaxwell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muis View Post
Remember they used Microsoft software in the first Apple 2 computer (1977).
I hardly think that Apple's use of a BASIC interpreter from Microsoft on a text-based OS is germane to a discussion of the GUI look and feel of OS X.
fmaxwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2013, 05:45 PM   #15
chazabazz
macrumors newbie

Agreed that this is a frustrating problem. Really cramps my organizational style. I just sent a feedback message to Apple- might be beneficial to do likewise. As stated above by the Scottish Captain, here's the URL:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
chazabazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion