Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which stand should I buy for my 13" MacBook Pro?

• Rain Design mStand

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • Griffin Elevator Stand

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
So, I want to buy a stand for my MBP. There are multiple reasons. Firstly, it'd be eye level, and I wouldn't have to strain, and it has better cooling. I have two choices from the AOS. (Apple Online Store)

1. Rain Design mStand (I like it's design, and I like the angle it's tilted to)

[URL="http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN740ZM/A?"]Rain Design mStand for MacBook and MacBook Pro: Apple Online Store[/URL]

tn740.jpg

2: Griffin Elevator (I like the simplicity, since you're just putting two pieces of aluminum in a holder, but I don't like how it's only slightly tilted.)

[URL="http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2619ZM/A?"]Griffin Elevator Stand: Apple Online Store[/URL]

h2619.jpg

Which one should I buy? I'm leaning towards the Rain Design. I think the extra $10 is worth it, for the tilting and the design.

Any reviews on the products, and feedback, is appreciated as always.

- William

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Rain Design is very mac-like and will complement your set up. The elevator looks rather cheap and gaudy imo

jgz

macrumors regular
I have the Raindesign mStand and I love it :D The only thing which scares me a little bit is, that my Apple mini-dp to DVI Adapter hangs down, don't know, if it damages the TB port after some time.......

But looks great, feels well built, and the alu material keeps my mac cool, when doing something cpu-intensive :D very useful gadget in general!

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Go with the mStand. Best I've found in terms of mitigating back, neck, and eye strain. Typing can be challenging at times but not a deal breaker. I use mine with a wireless keyboard and magic trackpad. This setup also works well when using my hdtv as display. Sturdy, nice looking, small footprint, a little pricey. Good overall choice.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I'm gonna agree the mStand is better. I've used a few cheap, weak, yet still metal, stands in the past for my laptops, and I'd rather not again.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
How about a Belkin Zero stand? I bought one after seeing several of them being used at my local Apple store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff7pjIpWtZ8

That looks horrible. I mean the design looks okay but it looks like it wobbles and doesnt have much of an angle at all. plus nothing to hold the laptop from sliding other than a rubber lining on the top of it.

heres kind of a multi purpose one.
iLap Laptop Stand
The link is to a 15" one, but they have more of course. Also, another rain design stand, but this one can be used on your lap as well.
I wouldn't want this sitting on my desk (but I already have the mStand) but seems purposeful for both desk and lap uses.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I recall reading some old Griffin reviews that complain that there is a tendency for the laptop to slip and fall over. Considering how flimsy it looks, its a possibility. This was when it was plastic, now its made of aluminum but the design is basically the same.

I own the mStand and its a solid piece of (somewhat expensive) kit. I would pick Rain Design any day.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I have the Raindesign mStand and I love it :D The only thing which scares me a little bit is, that my Apple mini-dp to DVI Adapter hangs down, don't know, if it damages the TB port after some time.......

Something to try is get a 12" steel ruler with a cork backing. Slide it under the MBP at the TB port with the cork side up, to protect the MBP's finish, with just enough protruding to support the adapter block. The ruler will deflect downward a little, but will take most of the stress off the TB port.

If you have a steel rule without cork backing, masking tape will be just as good.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Well, the vote should make it obvious which we have chosen, either IRL or online, as the superior choice :p

knightwrangler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Canada
That looks horrible. I mean the design looks okay but it looks like it wobbles and doesnt have much of an angle at all. plus nothing to hold the laptop from sliding other than a rubber lining on the top of it.

Actually, it is very minimalistic in it's design. It just kind of fades away once you put your Macbook Pro on top of it. There is a very slight tilt not as much as the mStand but it's there. The laptop will not slide off the rubber lining, an Apple CSR and myself tried to push it off the stand in store-it was stuck like glue and would not budge. It will wobble slightly but only when very hard pressure is applied but who on earth would do that?

I'm happy with my purchase, I certainly would have bought the mStand but they had none in the Apple store they only had the zero stand and the Elevator and I wasn't impressed with the Griffin.

Here's mine below:

90xgkn.jpg

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Actually, it is very minimalistic in it's design. It just kind of fades away once you put your Macbook Pro on top of it. There is a very slight tilt not as much as the mStand but it's there. The laptop will not slide off the rubber lining, an Apple CSR and myself tried to push it off the stand in store-it was stuck like glue and would not budge. It will wobble slightly but only when very hard pressure is applied but who on earth would do that?

I'm happy with my purchase, I certainly would have bought the mStand but they had none in the Apple store they only had the zero stand and the Elevator and I wasn't impressed with the Griffin.

Here's mine below:

looks really good on your desk! either stand works just fine i guess. thank you for sharing! did you post your pictures in Post Your Mac Setup? would be nice to see the whole thing. pm me a link if you get a chance to post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.