Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
  • frequent and intermittent clicking
  • excessive beach balls
  • constant freezing
  • very sluggish performance

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You're fine for RAM at the moment? What's the machine, how old is the hard drive and how much RAM do you have? Is it a program specific? Is the hard drive clicking?

I hope your HD's fine because upgrading RAM is much cheaper. :)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Doesn't sound that good mate. I have just gone through the HD dilemma myself. Disk utility did not report the fault when I ran a repair permissions sweep.

I was having the exact same probs as you were describing so if you can - I'd backup all your important stuff immediately.

I decided to download SMARTReporter. It informed me of the fault. Unfortunately it was too late to do anything as I was having the symptoms for about 2 days and the drive was cactus. :(

Good luck!

aussie_geek

edit - SMARTReporter is installed on all my Mac's. I have configured it to check the drives every 300 mins so I will at least get some warning ;)

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
if you have a fairly newer machine and have over 512 RAM.

then yea it might be a good idea to back up right now

it might not have much time left. :rolleyes:

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
its a 1ghz ibook with 384mb ram and 30gb hd. i know ram is on the low side but we never run intensive task on this computer, just safari and word. what other signs should i look out for which correlates to a dying harddrive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.