Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
My powerbook has been making a weird buzzing noise. It sounds like a fan vibrating or rubbing on something. It is worse when I move the computer around and it doesn't happen when it's on a flat surface. It is driving me insane. Is there a fan that always runs in the powerbook? I'm not familiar with the internal layout.

Edit: Now I am sort of scared it is the harddrive...

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I think it's the harddrive. Is the harddrive under the scrollpad on a 15" Rev C pb? If so I might need to back up and send this baby to applecare.

Until then...SO ANNOYING. Sounds like an electric shaver.

rbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
As far as I know, yes, the HD is under the trackpad on the 15"ers (I'm sure about rev. D, not positive about rev.C but i would assume all the G4 15" pb's are arranged the same)

pmac

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2004
NZ
I have a strange buzzing noise also on my revC which is about a year old, very similar to what you describe. Started about a month ago and is quite loud when I move it and generally only seems to happen once I've been running for a while and the computer is getting hot so I presumed it was fan-related. From what I could tell it was coming from up at that thin strip above the keyboard though rather than by the trackpad so maybe there is a different source to the problem.....

Neil4512

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2004
My 12 inch Powerbook has started buzzing also, but only when i have it on an angle, when it's flat it's fine, but if I have it on my lap, say a 45degree angle, it starts to buzz and will sometimes freeze, but it will unfreeze and work fine again as soon as I put it flat again. It has my pretty concerned I called apple and they want $50 just to troubleshoot it over the phone. Could it be something loose inside the computer???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.