Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Due to an accident, I have to change out my own hard drive on my 12” PB.
What kind of drive should I get?

"PB new hard drive INSTALL" is a current thread I found in the forums. It was helpful, but I am still unsure of what I am doing.

Specifications of my current drive listed below.

• Capacity: 37.26 GB
    Model: TOSHIBA MK4025GAS
    Revision: KA101B
    Serial Number: 24J26774S
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Failing

Does anybody have suggestions as to what kid of drive I should replace mine with? I am looking at purchasing from this company. At one point I read an article about HDs that protect themselves if they sense a fall. Does anybody have a link to one that I could install in my PB. (I am just being cautious.)

I found a guide at PBfixIt.com. Any other suggestions? Are there kits to replace all the seals and stickers that I break during the process?

In advance, Thank You!

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I don't have much experience with replacing hard drives but I'm pretty sure it does void the warranty and it's a laborious process so ideally you could send it in and get it done.

As for the hard drives protecting themselves in a fall, I think you're referring to Apple's PowerBook Sudden Motion Sensor.

From kernelthread.com:
AMS is an integrated feature of the main logic board, and is not tied to a specific disk drive.
So essentially, you can't get a drive that does that; it comes as part of the computer itself.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I have already voided the warrenty/AppleCare by having an accident with my computer. (Landed on the Ethernet cable.) I was hoping for some more feed back. Thanks for the information about the g-sensors.

I thought that I read an article that said IBM had added accelerometers to one drive line, so that any significant acceleration caused the drive to park it's self, independent of external hard ware. If not, let it be known that I am applying for a patent on a 3 axis sensor system, when combined with a drive, that will automatically park the drive head when acceleration would likely lead to drive damage or data loss. But I digress.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I just got done replacing my powerbooks harddrive. It was not very fun at all. I used the guide at pbfixit.com. I striped a screw, and heck of time getting it out. I also screwed up my keyboard(had to buy a new one). But it now works great! I put in a 100GB 5400rpm segate drive ($200 at compusa).

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I am getting The New Tosheba 100Gb with the 16Mb buffer. The 100Gb TravelStar is more robust, but after shipping, I just couldn't afford it.

I am getting the drive tomarrow, I think I have all the tools I need.
What was particularly difficult?

I am sorry to hear about the keyboard. You should at least be able to part it out on eBay or sell it to PBFixIt, as they sell individual keys and sissor elements.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Where can you find the 100gb hitachi travelstar? There website has a 100gb 7200rpm drive, but I couldn't find it anywhere..

Its not to hard to do, just don't strip any screws (i had the correct tools, but i still striped a screw head). My problem is I got mad...

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Thank you, I could easly get frustrated.

"Don't drive angry."- Phill (Bill Murray)- Ground Hog Day.

Link to drive listing for the 100Gb 2.5inx9.5mm 5400 IBH/Hitachi TravelStar for notebooks. Just search around. The power consumption is really good, better than the stock 4200RPM drive that the 12" came with, but the ultra low sound level that the drive claims is listed in Bels, which when converted is comparable to every other drive which lists it's acoustic noise level in decibels.

Update: Ordered the drive from the people noted above. Placed order at 3, recieved it at 9:55AM the next day, and the shipping was only 7$.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Update: Things to get- Tools, make sure you have a good set of precision-hardened screwdrivers, and a TORX 06. A thick plastic credit card helps separate the top cover from the bottom frame, a good plastic spuddger would of been nice. I also used a disposable 3M ESD bracelet as a precaution.

This was one of the most difficult repairs that I have ever done. I would recommend that anybody pick up a couple of plastic painting pallets. They work better for screw storage than sheets of paper.

929128.jpg
like this one helped a great deal. From Pearl Arts

Problems. I striped an expensive ceramic ESD screwdriver. The tip got jammed into a screw.

Time: Backup of old drive 4hrs. Removal of old drive and replacement- 2 hrs. Formatting of new drive and restoration of old image, 6+ hours.

Tips- Take your time. Relax. Apply good pressure to screws and back them out slowly. A magnet on stick is good for retrieving screws from the floor.

Benefits: The computer doesn’t crash now. Battery life improved, noise reduced, boot time reduced, speed or loading improved, and increased storage space.

Draw backs: Definitely voided the warranty.

Good luck too anybody that undertakes changing out the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.