Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I just got my 12" pbook and I love it! However, I ordered a new 100GB hard drive because I need the space. I have all of the instructions for the install, but I am a little concerned about transferring all of my files from my 60GB hard drive to the new one. What is the easiest way to do it? Should I buy an external hard drive case for the new hard drive, format the drive some how, and cut and paste the old hard drive to the new hard drive?

P.S. Is the 60gb hard drive that came with my pb set as master or slave? How do you change this if you need to?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Transferring whould be pretty easy for you. I would totally buy a lil Firewire external case for your 60, those are just so handy to have around.

OS X has an awesome feature of upgrading from one computer to another via firewire. When you do that, all you basically do is boot up your old hardware as a firewire drive, and OS X copies everything over, the home folders and preferences and everything. I imagine that since your old hard drive will already be an external firewire, you should be able to do the same thing.

This is just in my head and I could be completely wrong, but I think it's a pretty valid idea.

QUESTION: Does swapping the hard drive void the Warranty, and Apple Care? My laptop only has a 40GB hard drive, and I'd LOVE to drop a 100GB in there, but I still have 2 years left on Apple Care, and don't want to lose that...

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
wheezy said:
QUESTION: Does swapping the hard drive void the Warranty, and Apple Care? My laptop only has a 40GB hard drive, and I'd LOVE to drop a 100GB in there, but I still have 2 years left on Apple Care, and don't want to lose that...

I am pretty sure it does. That is why I am keeping the original hard drive as a portable backup device. I anything every goes wrong, it is going back in!

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
wheezy said:
Good thinking...I guess they'll never know you tinkered eh?

They probably will know, but I am so excited about my new hard drive that I really don't care.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I was thinking of installing one in my new 12" ibook. Does anyone know if its is very hard. I'm pretty tech savy, I've installed RAM and Videro Cards. I am aware it is more difficult then RAM but is it very hard? Also is It just plug and play?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Patmian212 said:
I was thinking of installing one in my new 12" ibook. Does anyone know if its is very hard. I'm pretty tech savy, I've installed RAM and Videro Cards. I am aware it is more difficult then RAM but is it very hard? Also is It just plug and play?

I'm pretty sure it's pretty plug and play...but, I could be wrong, Maybe you'd want to put your new HD in an external case, and install OS X on that, and then set the Startup Disk to that Volume, then when you switch them out, it'll boot off that Volume...since, it's UNIX I don't think it matters too much the interface of the drive, so long as the name of the drive remains in tack. The hardware on the Mac will just look for /Volumes/*** as the boot volume, whether it's plugged in firewire, or the powerbook interface.

Please note, I could be utterly, completely, and grossly wrong. Always remember to backup :) Maybe I'll try a trade sometime this week for the heckuvit. I have an external 60 and internal 40, and wouldn't it be nice to change them...at least test out my theories.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I already have an external 160GB, I want an 80 or 100GB internal so my laptop can truely be portable.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Gokhan said:
head over to mike bombich site carbon copy cloner is the program you want

From memory of what I've heard, they haven't released the Tiger-compatible update yet. So if you've got 10.4 you might want to wait a little while before trying CCC.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Would it be stupid to install a new superdrive, and a new unformatted hard drive at the same time? I am worried that if the superdrive is not recognized, that I will be stuck without an operating system...

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
Patmian212 said:

Believe me, It cannot be any harder than installing a hard drive into my (your old ;)) Powerbook.

I recieved the 20gb hard drive for the Powerbook 2400c a few days ago and installed it successfully. It took me about an hour and a half since I had to literally take apart the whole machine ( :eek: ) to get to the hard drive itself. It is now happily running OS 9.1 without worries of space. :)

Pierre Films
icon_idea.png

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
wheezy said:
"I was thinking of installing one in my new 12" ibook"
I'm pretty sure it's pretty plug and play...

"Believe me, It cannot be any harder than installing a hard drive into my (your old ) Powerbook.

Oooh. Wrong answer.

Installing hard drive in an iBook is nothing like the powerbook. It is a nasty little job, about 2 hours for the mechanically adept and meticulous, and not gennerally desirable or even possible for a newbie hardware jockey.

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
sammyman said:
Would it be stupid to install a new superdrive, and a new unformatted hard drive at the same time? I am worried that if the superdrive is not recognized, that I will be stuck without an operating system...

i'd say assume worst case scenario and do one at a time.

if it works you save your self from opening it up a second time, but if it doesn't you'll be opening it upwards of 3 times.. so save yourself some hassle, play it safe

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Plug in the new drive. put in the Tiger CD at the same time. When you boot up for the first time hold down the option key. Select the CD and then do an install.
You can then after "migrate" data from your old drive (now in it's lovely external enclosure) in the install process, or using the "migration assistant" in the Tiger utilities at a later stage.

Enjoy!

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
Oooh. Wrong answer.

Installing hard drive in an iBook is nothing like the powerbook. It is a nasty little job, about 2 hours for the mechanically adept and meticulous, and not gennerally desirable or even possible for a newbie hardware jockey.

Perhaps, but this is the (ultra-cool :cool: ) sub-notebook Powerbook 2400c.

PB2400.jpg

I seriously doubt you have to take part everything (literally) including the LCD screen, keyboard, trackpad/entire front cover, and motherboard just to get to the iBooks hard drive. You have to do all that and unscrew about 30 or so screws of different sizes just to get to the hard drive of the 2400c. Not very fun.

Pierre Films
icon_idea.png

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Got the new 100GB hard drive in and working flawlessly. Now moving to install the dvd dual layer burner.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Done! I think eveything works, but I am afraid I could have broken my modem. That was not easy, but everything appears fine.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
So how hard was it? I found a Superdrive exchange option online, and they say not to try it on the 12" because there is so much to take apart...did you break your modem? Also...where did you buy the Superdrive from and how much was it?

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
superdrive was 138. It is the uj-845s model i believe. Burns really fast. Got it on froogle. I would probably not try it again. It was really hard. I don't kow if the modem is broken. There were a few bent pins, because I did not realize it was plugged in and yanked it off kind of hard. Oops.

emtkopan

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
sammyman said:
superdrive was 138. It is the uj-845s model i believe. Burns really fast. Got it on froogle. I would probably not try it again. It was really hard. I don't kow if the modem is broken. There were a few bent pins, because I did not realize it was plugged in and yanked it off kind of hard. Oops.

Hey Sammyman, have you had any problems with the optical drive?

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
emtkopan said:
Hey Sammyman, have you had any problems with the optical drive?

No problems. Works perfectly. Pretty sweet. Got my old haard drive in a matching slim aluminum external case...

alawrence101

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Patmian212 said:
I already have an external 160GB, I want an 80 or 100GB internal so my laptop can truely be portable.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have an external, but I'm looking to make my iBook truly portable and upgrade the internal HD.

I'm glad you were able to it successfully, and I could definitely use some input from you and everyone else here (I figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one). I upgraded the hard drive in my ruby red iMac a few years ago with no problem, so I think I'm up to replacing the one in my iBook.

I was just going to get a new PowerBook this fall, but I think I'd rather wait it out and get my hands on one of the upcoming Intel P-Books. In the meantime, I'm really hurting for hard drive space.

First of all, my iBook is a 15" 900mhz G3 (about 2 years old). Now for the questions:

I've been looking into which HD to buy, and from the looks of it, I just have to make sure it's 9.5mm tall, right? Any 2.5" HD that is 9.5mm tall will work?

My current HD is 4200 RPM. I've heard that I can get a substantial boost in speed if I upgrade to a 5400 RPM HD. Would you recommend this? I know that this can theoretically cause heat issues, but would this really be an issue? I would love a bump in speed if possible, but I'd obviously like to avoid melting my computer.

Does anyone know of a walk-through I can find online for the installation process? All I could find was this guide for replacing the HD in really old models that I'm sure doesn't apply to me. I'm savvy enough to be able to pick apart the machine and replace the HD on my own if it comes to that, but I'd prefer to follow a walk-through.

For buying the Hard Drive - any recommendations on what brands to trust or avoid? Any online stores I should check? Right now, I'm probably just going to go for the best deal I can find on MWave or New Egg. I'd be happy to shop around a little more, though. In specific, does anyone know of a good 100Gig 5400 RPM drive or where I can find one? So far, I can find 100Gig 4200 RPM drives and 80Gig 5400 RPM drives, but no 100Gig 5400s. If it's advisable to install a 5400 RPM drive in an iBook, I would definitely like to get a 100Gig.

I would really appreciate help on any of these questions. Thanks in advance. :)

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
alawrence101 said:
For buying the Hard Drive - any recommendations on what brands to trust or avoid? Any online stores I should check? Right now, I'm probably just going to go for the best deal I can find on MWave or New Egg. I'd be happy to shop around a little more, though. In specific, does anyone know of a good 100Gig 5400 RPM drive or where I can find one? So far, I can find 100Gig 4200 RPM drives and 80Gig 5400 RPM drives, but no 100Gig 5400s. If it's advisable to install a 5400 RPM drive in an iBook, I would definitely like to get a 100Gig.

I would really appreciate help on any of these questions. Thanks in advance. :)

I've would pick Hitachi (used to be IBM) for the brand. I'm sure someone else will disagree. It seems that you can always find someone who has had bad experiences with any brand.

As far as 100GB drives, I think right now Toshiba is the only company making them. Ok, apparently not, I also see a Seagate model. Go to newegg->hard drives->notebook drives and you should see a bunch.

alawrence101

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
tsk said:
I've would pick Hitachi (used to be IBM) for the brand. I'm sure someone else will disagree. It seems that you can always find someone who has had bad experiences with any brand.

As far as 100GB drives, I think right now Toshiba is the only company making them. Ok, apparently not, I also see a Seagate model. Go to newegg->hard drives->notebook drives and you should see a bunch.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll probably pick up the Seagate one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146223#DetailSpecs) unless anyone strongly advises against it. I've been doing some reading, and it looks like there isn't really a heat problem with upgrading to a 5400 RPM drive, and it sounds like it helps a lot. I think I'm definitely going to do that.

Now I just need some help on the installation process. Does anyone know of an online walkthrough? Or any info on how to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.