Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hi Guys

Is there anyway to install M/L without forking out $99 for a dev account.

Desperate for airplay..

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Only the illegal way. And that is, where we can't help you, due to the Forum Rules.

Mac Rumors Forums Rules
Mac Rumors Forums FAQ

The Rules and FAQ can be found on every MR Forums page on the top.
MR_FAQ-RULES_link.png

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Could also get a job at Apple working OS X dev. That'd likely get you a copy of ML to install.

Or get invited to join AppleSeed. I'm pretty sure a couple people here on MR were accepted when Lion was in the developer-preview stage.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Not to mention you'll need the Apple TV 5.1 beta software to try out Airplay which will also need to be downloaded illegally if you don't have a developer account.

If you're not a dev just wait it out.

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Not to mention you'll need the Apple TV 5.1 beta software to try out Airplay which will also need to be downloaded illegally if you don't have a developer account.

If you're not a dev just wait it out.

I can't believe how much of this sub-forum is people encouraging non-developers to use Mountain Lion as their primary OS. It's a beta that isn't ready/intended for public consumption no matter how stable it seems. Just wait it out and use it once it's released. Pirating is one thing but pirating unreleased beta software is another thing entirely.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Pirating is one thing but pirating unreleased beta software is another thing entirely.

What about pirates who submit bug reports (no I'm not one of them)? :) True, they were not asked to help, but perhaps they are helping anyway.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
it's available via torrent. Saying that is not illegal right just stating the obvious lol. Personally I wouldn't bother because it doesn't add much over Lion right now and probably full of bugs. Just wait it out a few more months then there will be probably double the new features and nicer things to look at it etc.

----------

Don't do it. Big brother is watching you.

I used to pirate stuff until big brother sent me the letter :p

----------

I can't believe how much of this sub-forum is people encouraging non-developers to use Mountain Lion as their primary OS. It's a beta that isn't ready/intended for public consumption no matter how stable it seems. Just wait it out and use it once it's released. Pirating is one thing but pirating unreleased beta software is another thing entirely.

It is because of the newness effect. You have to experience it enough to learn from it imo. I finally grew out of it. I always wanted the latest and greatest in hardware and specs but now I settle for what is best and financially worthwhile lol :D

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
It is a public beta. It's meant for dev's to play with. You don't need any special skills to have it, no tests or a credit check, juts $99 or enough brains to use google.
If you wanna risk running beta software as your only OS then it's your lookout, weather you've paid the $99 to join the fan club makes no difference.
I personally have not but I am great full for all the help this and other forums have given t get it running on my unsupported mac.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
It's not a big deal to create a new partition you know? You don't have to use it as your primary OS.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
It's not a big deal to create a new partition you know?
Gotta be careful if you go that route,rather than a separate physical drive. Don't want Lion's "Recovery HD" replaced by ML's "Recovery HD", do we?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
As a developer for the last three decades, I would never install on my primary computer - only on development hardware specifically set aside for the task of testing our software against new releases.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Gotta be careful if you go that route,rather than a separate physical drive. Don't want Lion's "Recovery HD" replaced by ML's "Recovery HD", do we?

Actually, when you install ML as a partition it creates a separate recovery hd. So when you hold down ALT(Option) You see 2 Recovery HD's one for Lion and one for ML

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012

It creates another Recovery partition called "Recovery 10.8". It has no effect whatsoever on the other Lion OS partition or Recovery.

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
It creates another Recovery partition called "Recovery 10.8". It has no effect whatsoever on the other Lion OS partition or Recovery.

That is not always the case. On my mid 2011 MBA ML has overwritten the recovery partition and broken it. I am not alone in this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As noted, you need to be a developer to legally get Mountain Lion and any discussion pertaining the procurement of 10.8 any other way violates MacRumors' rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.