Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trance

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
pixelmator is cheap and gets the job done for small things, which do you prefer?

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
pixelmator is cheap and gets the job done for small things, which do you prefer?

Just by asking this question would imply all you need is Pixelmator. Pixelmator is a great app for many basic things. No need to spend 800 dollars to edit photos when you aren't going to use 99% of the features. Kind of overkill.

I prefer Photoshop because my workflow is a little more complex than anything Pixelmator is capable of.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Just by asking this question would imply all you need is Pixelmator. Pixelmator is a great app for many basic things. No need to spend 800 dollars to edit photos when you aren't going to use 99% of the features. Kind of overkill.

I prefer Photoshop because my workflow is a little more complex than anything Pixelmator is capable of.

Same here. I use Photoshop a lot because I'm very comfortable with it and my needs. I bought Pixelmator because I read some great things about and they all happen to be true.

It's a fantastic app and if your using it for hobby purposes it's perfect and does about 70% of what PS does but that other 30% is huge if you're a professional. I do like using it though and it's a lot lighter on resources too.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I agree with the two posters above me. If I had to do actual professional-level image editing or creation I would use photoshop, no question. However, for any normal person at home (such as myself) pixelmator is plenty. The most heavy duty thing I ever have to do is get rid of some unwanted stuff in a picture or mildly adjust some of the colors, and it works great for that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use photoshop, because it has the plugins I use, but I like pixelmator's clean interface. The one knock I have is the new version dropped the "save as"

Yeah there's work around but at this point its easier to do my work in PS and save it as a name I prefer instead of the work arounds in pixelmator

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I still have somewhere a Photoshop license for CS2 (I guess) but I never really used it plus the upgrades are far too expensive.

On the Mac I'm very well served with Pixelmator; just updated for version 2.0 via AppStore.
It has more function then I have skills ...

And for raw files I use BibblePro. So no real need to PS.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I vastly prefer Pixelmator over Photoshop CS5 due to price and ease of use.

Photoshop CS5 for Mac is originally $199 USD. Not trying to advertise or anyting, but I was reading my RSS Feed and according to lifehacker, Photoshop is having a huge sale right now.

http://lifehacker.com/5887401/daily-app-deals-get-adobe-photoshop-cs5-extended-student-and-teacher-edition-for-windows-and-mac-for-only-3980-in-todays-app-deals

It's only $39.80 USD now, instead of $199 USD. That's 80% off!

I still prefer Pixelmator, however.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I vastly prefer Pixelmator over Photoshop CS5 due to price and ease of use.

Photoshop CS5 for Mac is originally $199 USD. Not trying to advertise or anyting, but I was reading my RSS Feed and according to lifehacker, Photoshop is having a huge sale right now.

http://lifehacker.com/5887401/daily-app-deals-get-adobe-photoshop-cs5-extended-student-and-teacher-edition-for-windows-and-mac-for-only-3980-in-todays-app-deals

It's only $39.80 USD now, instead of $199 USD. That's 80% off!

I still prefer Pixelmator, however.

That deal is also only for .edu email address holders, which means it's an educational copy.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.