Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tlacenka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
hello there..i have upgraded my MacBook Pro 13 late 2010 with SSD... i got just one question..is there any solution to make RAMDRIVE, but not as block device, but just using FS ...? something like TMPFS in linux... ? thx for answer

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's a number of ways to create ram drives, but my recommendation is let OSX manage the memory. Its memory management is best if you let it manage the resource without restricting its access to it.

That is, by using a ram drive you may invaribly cause it to use more swap space because there's less ram available.

Here's one link I was able to find easily using google if you wished to continue on this.
http://www.xappsoftware.com/wordpress/2011/09/27/how-to-create-a-ramdisk-on-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

tlacenka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Yes, i know, but as i understand, this make the block device - that means i say to system you have to use 2Gb of ram and the system takes it and use it. But there is no way to make it dynamic i mean hey system you need 3 gb, you can take it but actually you need just 20 Mb so why do you take 2gb.. Or this is with the hdid possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.