Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1
v2club
macrumors regular

I'm not upgrading to ML without Siri

Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.
v2club is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

I think you're the first person to draw this as a red line...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Zcott
macrumors 68020

Can we quote you on this in a year's time?
Zcott is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
v2club
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcott View Post
Can we quote you on this in a year's time?
Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...

The ML will be cheap (I guess it won't be more expensive than Lion, which was 22 quid here in the UK) so I'll be definitely tempted, but let us see what else the Apple team will come up with, so far I'm most impressed with the unified address bar and search bar in Safari (which I'm pretty sure will be available to all, without the need to upgrade) and Messages (which won't be available to Lion users, however it's not worth 22 pounds).
v2club is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Bear
macrumors G3

The feature list is somewhat lacking right now. For what's mentioned currently, I'm not sure it's a $30 upgrade.

We'll have to see what additional features get announced and what under the hood improvements there are.

For some people the push to upgrade to Lion and eventually Mountain Lion will be as software they use change to require those versions of OS X.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:02 PM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2club View Post
Siri isn't available for the ML preview, but also it wasn't available last year for the iOS 5 preview, so I still hope that Siri will be available for the official release of Mountain Lion. I don't think that only the 10 apps included in ML are worth upgrading, even though it is said that there will be more than 100 new features without Siri.
Okay then. Don't upgrade.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:48 PM   #7
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Siri is a worthless gimmick anyhow. Call me when it becomes actually efficient to use, rather than just doing it the manual way on the touch screen.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:51 PM   #8
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
The feature list is somewhat lacking right now. For what's mentioned currently, I'm not sure it's a $30 upgrade.
How about the feature: "runs much faster"?
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
How about the feature: "runs much faster"?
That would fall under "under the hood improvements". And much faster would be good.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
That would fall under "under the hood improvements". And much faster would be good.
Runs noticeably faster than Lion on an early 2008 15-inch MBP, 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM. Things feel much smoother.
*LTD* is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Tiptizzle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2club View Post
Sure, but why wait for a year, the update will be out in 5-6 moths and there is no point to wait 6 month and then update, because in another 6 moths there will be a new OS, so if you gonna update, do it as soon as the OS is out...
Some people wait for a release to become more stable before upgrading.
Tiptizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:27 PM   #12
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
That’s not a complete list though - that’s a list of feature that Apple chooses to highlight.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Böhme417
macrumors member

How about we get Siri working reliably on my phone before we try and add it to the computers? I swear it's a 50/50 shot whether or not I get the "try again later" message.
Böhme417 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:13 PM   #14
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Böhme417 View Post
How about we get Siri working reliably on my phone before we try and add it to the computers?
It’s going to take a lot of work to get it working on computers too - people have been envisioning voice dictation with a computer for years. It never has worked too well.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:00 PM   #15
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That alone is worth an upgrade to me. (Although I'd be much happier if it were a free update)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

I would pay 29 to make Lion faster, with a few gimmicks.
But I won't mind paying 129 if they "fix" spaces and throw in Siri.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:40 PM   #17
afin
macrumors member

Context: I know that when it came to the 10.7 we sort of knew all of the coming features from the get go and that was that.

Question: In anyone's opinion, is 10.8 seeming to follow the same trend?

Either way, I'm of the opinion that it's only thirty dollars for an improvement/polish of lion.
afin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:10 PM   #18
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by afin View Post
Context: I know that when it came to the 10.7 we sort of knew all of the coming features from the get go and that was that.
Did we really ?

Don't mistake that list of "features" on Apple's site as a definitive list of everything there is. I bet there's a few features in Lion you still don't know about, 6 months later.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:11 PM   #19
LiesForTheLiars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Did we really ?

Don't mistake that list of "features" on Apple's site as a definitive list of everything there is. I bet there's a few features in Lion you still don't know about, 6 months later.
I usually happen across new features by accident when I'm working.
LiesForTheLiars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:39 PM   #20
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Siri is a worthless gimmick anyhow. Call me when it becomes actually efficient to use, rather than just doing it the manual way on the touch screen.
What's your number? I want to inform you about how efficient Siri is in situations when using a touch screen would be impractical (or dangerous) but talking to your phone isn't (like when driving, for example).
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:00 PM   #21
alexreich
macrumors 6502a

Siri isn't too great. I wouldn't use it if it was included in a OS X release. It seems to me like most people who bought a 4S got it for Siri, and they rarely use it. It's a cool toy, but it is no tool for working. It wouldn't increase workflow, and it's not even accurate most of the time. I don't see the big deal in typing your own sentences and working yourself....

No need for this voice control crap.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:50 PM   #22
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
What's your number? I want to inform you about how efficient Siri is in situations when using a touch screen would be impractical (or dangerous) but talking to your phone isn't (like when driving, for example).
I think you should concentrate on driving instead of trying to dictate text messages or setting reminders, no matter the input mode you're using.

And frankly, the last thing I want to do is repeat myself 50 times when driving and trying to concentrate on the road.

"Siri, remind me to buy bread when we're near IGA"
"Sorry, I don't understand"
"Remind me to... BUY BREAD.. NEAR IGA".
"Sorry, I'm having difficulties right now".
"Scratch that"
"I don't understand"
"Nevermind"
"I don't understand, sorry"
"CANCEL"
"OK".

Geez.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexreich View Post
It seems to me like most people who bought a 4S got it for Siri,
I bought a 4S for the A5 and SGX543MP2.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:07 PM   #23
Kariya
macrumors 6502a

Okay.

Thumb resize.

Siri is highly unlikely to debut in ML...its not even out of beta on iOS.
Kariya is online now   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:24 PM   #24
throAU
macrumors 68030

Now, i don't see it as being a deal breaker if there is no siri, but i reckon it is ideal for those background things that distract you from your work.

eg:

Copying files - you get to a file it needs to know whether to over-write. The mac doesn't pop the window up, just says "do you want me to over-write xxx file?" and you answer "yes" or "no".

Need to spell/grammar check something? Ask siri.

Need to be reminded to come back to something? Tell siri. Eg "remind me to come back to this document tomorrow" or "remind me that I need to send this off by 4pm today!"

I reckon there's far more benefit to siri on the mac, than on the iphone, because the mac is a multi-tasking device with a lot more going on.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #25
jackc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
Copying files - you get to a file it needs to know whether to over-write. The mac doesn't pop the window up, just says "do you want me to over-write xxx file?" and you answer "yes" or "no".

Need to spell/grammar check something? Ask siri.

Need to be reminded to come back to something? Tell siri. Eg "remind me to come back to this document tomorrow" or "remind me that I need to send this off by 4pm today!"
Great idea, I suspect it's not ready for 10.8 but will come after that
jackc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion