Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

producer4u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Ok I really need to upgrade my Mac Pro badly. I read and hear back and forth that updates will and will not happen March 7th. Anyone know the true story, so I can make a desicion? I just read the update about the delay in the Intel chip

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
I've searched the forums and I read the buyers guide....I guess your right!!! This is not the place to find out what I need....

And you will not find it anywhere else. The Sandy Bridge Xeon CPUs are due for a release in March 2012, if Apple is using them then, is not known.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Zero chance that you'll see anything related to the MP on March 7th. This is an iPad only media event.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Nobody knows. If anyone tells you something is or isn't going to happen on a certain day, they are making it up.

New Mac Pros will ship if/when they ship. That's all we know.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
My best guess is that we will see new MPs around April to early May - mainly dependent on Intel shipping the new Sandy Bridge Xeons.

So, I'm holding off on buying the current 5,1 MP. If you can hold on for another 6 weeks or so......

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
Ok I really need to upgrade my Mac Pro badly. I read and hear back and forth that updates will and will not happen March 7th. Anyone know the true story, so I can make a desicion? I just read the update about the delay in the Intel chip

Thanks in Advance!!!!

I've got an idea. Why don't you call Apple @ 1-800-My-Apple and ask them when the Next mac pro update is being released and see what they say? :) Nobody here knows.

Neil Parfitt

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Toronto
The thing that pisses me off most about the apple shroud of secrecy is that pro's DONT CARE about the hype. Leave that for the consumers. We just want a faster machine NOW. Or, at least give us a road map that we can plan for.

I work in the music for TV/Film business - and we push the hell out of these machines. And, with the machine is all the related peripherals and DSP hardware that goes with it. If they pull a surprise and go thunderbolt only for i/o, I need to plan for it. So the machine might cost 7k - but the switcharoo of everything else might cost 10k or more. This is why we need to know what's going on. Planning. Logistics.

Gee, I wonder why Mac Pro sales are dropping... because people aren't all excited about dropping 7k on a Mac Pro that hasn't been updated in 2 years. There's a 3.43Ghz Hex chip they could have even added over a year ago as a quiet additional upgrade speed bump - but no, they haven't done a thing. Even if two of those chips are 3k retail, they'd still make money - as there's no way the mobo, case, and drives cost another 3k... and there's no way they'd be paying that price per CPU in bulk.

The whole thing just sucks. I need more power now. And an i7 iMac isn't going to cut it...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The thing that pisses me off most about the apple shroud of secrecy is that pro's DONT CARE about the hype. Leave that for the consumers. We just want a faster machine NOW. Or, at least give us a road map that we can plan for.

I work in the music for TV/Film business - and we push the hell out of these machines. And, with the machine is all the related peripherals and DSP hardware that goes with it. If they pull a surprise and go thunderbolt only for i/o, I need to plan for it. So the machine might cost 7k - but the switcharoo of everything else might cost 10k or more. This is why we need to know what's going on. Planning. Logistics.

Gee, I wonder why Mac Pro sales are dropping... because people aren't all excited about dropping 7k on a Mac Pro that hasn't been updated in 2 years. There's a 3.43Ghz Hex chip they could have even added over a year ago as a quiet additional upgrade speed bump - but no, they haven't done a thing. Even if two of those chips are 3k retail, they'd still make money - as there's no way the mobo, case, and drives cost another 3k... and there's no way they'd be paying that price per CPU in bulk.

The whole thing just sucks. I need more power now. And an i7 iMac isn't going to cut it...

Out of curiosity do you use an i7 iMac? I agree that the 3.46GHz chips should at least be an option, but Apple doesn't like offering too many upgrades for some reason. They prefer to offer a "standard" machine and then an "upgraded" version instead of just listing several processor options. I bought the top MP last June knowing it was due for an upgrade... but weren't we supposed to wait for March/April for the new chips anyway? Even then there might be a delay before Apple puts them in new ready-to-ship Mac Pros.

iGrouch

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
Off Ramp M50
We can all jump in here and say that Neil is a whinge, that every one knows that Apple will do whatever it does when it suits them.... etc.

But.

Neil makes some valid points about planning in his industry. Most pro users at this level are inured to all the hype (smoke & mirrors nonsense) that a lot of tech companies may pedal. They just need to be able to buy quality equipment. Yes you could buy whats there, but he is right where the peripheral costs are enormous in his line of work, and, if Apple do something radical and shift sidewise to Thunderbolt (I really don't think they will though and drop other IO and standards at the same time) It would be a major headache.

The other argument of "just shift to another platform" if you are not happy is also disingenuous. Again cost in terms of software and time lost with a new learning curve. All headache territory.

Perhaps Apple needs its environment of hype and secrecy. I agree it is nice to have all the surprises and the success of the iPhone/iPad/iOS has been good for Apple, but in the quieter corners where serious work is done Apple should take a more conservative approach, release speed bumps with those chips that Neill referred to and give some indications of where they are going with the Pro line it would more good than bad.

If Apple think that Mac Pro is waste of their resources, then they should just say so and get out of the business. The way they are behaving it is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. Pretending that highly specd, highly priced iMacs will cut the mustered doesn't wash with people who know their stuff.

There you go. Feel free to criticise my rant

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
We can all jump in here and say that Neil is a whinge, that every one knows that Apple will do whatever it does when it suits them.... etc.

But.

Neil makes some valid points about planning in his industry. Most pro users at this level are inured to all the hype (smoke & mirrors nonsense) that a lot of tech companies may pedal. They just need to be able to buy quality equipment. Yes you could buy whats there, but he is right where the peripheral costs are enormous in his line of work, and, if Apple do something radical and shift sidewise to Thunderbolt (I really don't think they will though and drop other IO and standards at the same time) It would be a major headache.

The other argument of "just shift to another platform" if you are not happy is also disingenuous. Again cost in terms of software and time lost with a new learning curve. All headache territory.

Perhaps Apple needs its environment of hype and secrecy. I agree it is nice to have all the surprises and the success of the iPhone/iPad/iOS has been good for Apple, but in the quieter corners where serious work is done Apple should take a more conservative approach, release speed bumps with those chips that Neill referred to and give some indications of where they are going with the Pro line it would more good than bad.

If Apple think that Mac Pro is waste of their resources, then they should just say so and get out of the business. The way they are behaving it is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. Pretending that highly specd, highly priced iMacs will cut the mustered doesn't wash with people who know their stuff.

There you go. Feel free to criticise my rant

Totally valid and agree. Good post.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Zero chance that you'll see anything related to the MP on March 7th. This is an iPad only media event.

Mac model refreshes in general don't get debuted at shows anymore unless there is a major redesign. So you probably won't see a new mac pro debut at a show at all, probably the next mac to be unveiled at a media event will be the redesigned MBP.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I heard a rumor that they will release them on March 11th and theme the event "Earth Shattering Power!

Steve was against that idea, but now he is dead, the other execs have decided to go ahead with it.

And so the rumor spreads! How long do u think it'll take to make it to the front page of 9to5mac.com???

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Most pro users at this level are inured to all the hype (smoke & mirrors nonsense) that a lot of tech companies may pedal.

and yet, when you think about it, the Mac Pro is actually the most secretive product Apple has. 2 years and you don't hear ANYTHING. the iProducts specs and blurred photos leak out every other month.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
and yet, when you think about it, the Mac Pro is actually the most secretive product Apple has. 2 years and you don't hear ANYTHING. the iProducts specs and blurred photos leak out every other month.

and ironically, it is the product that needs to be secretive the least of any with regard to the competition. Or maybe nobody really cares to leak the info. Or worse, maybe there is no info to leak... :eek:

HP & also Tyan just announced it's E5 line today. Now it's Apples turn!!

Last edited:

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Funny how back in the day, year after year, Apple always made a major focus on the PowerMac line, and how powerful their top of the line products were. They again did that at WWDC in 2006 with the Mac Pro...virtually not a word since. Benchmarks are of little talk nowadays.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
For God's sake.

Click Buyer's Guide, that's all we know.

We are not Apple. Also, search the forums, there are a lot of topics.

The buyers guide is a much use as a wet paper bag. It never has been of any real use. The best advice would be for the OP to Google Intel's Xeon Road Map, add a month or two to the date the Xeon's are realised.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The buyers guide is a much use as a wet paper bag. It never has been of any real use. The best advice would be for the OP to Google Intel's Xeon Road Map, add a month or two to the date the Xeon's are realised.

You can read recent rumors on any item in the Buyer's Guide. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.