Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebritishguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Am i the only one that finds myself justifying spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on the latest Apple hardware that i don't REALLY need

I have a perfectly good updated MBP with ample storage and memory and I never really experience any bottlenecks with it.

...... but I look now at the rumors of the new MBP, and my mind starts to form illogical pathways that convince me that if it's lighter and faster/with a retina display I not only should get it but i genuinely need it.

Until 4 years ago I never had a piece of apple hardware, then on that fateful day in November 2007- iPhone 2g launch day, passing by a O2 mobile phone store in London i thought... I will just go and in and see it, next thing I know I am walking out GBP200 worse off but with the iPhone (man was i popular for around a month)

Since that first taste of the the Apple high I have bought 4 MB Pros, 3 iPhones, 2 AppleTVs, 3 iPods, an IPad2 and various apple peripherals.

Incredible really, the combination of top notch build quality, military grade secrecy on new products, suspenseful marketing and an integrated platform approach have me well and truly hooked.

TBG

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I don't suffer from this problem. I have an early-2011 MBP and have no interest in replacing it anytime in the near future. I do, however, have an interest in purchasing an MBA to use alongside it... that's my latest dilemma (first world problems, I know).

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
If the MacBook does everything that you want it to do, then don't replace it.

If there is one feature in the new MBPs that you have to have, then by all means upgrade! (silly imo)

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Perhaps you are experiencing shopping addiction(specifically toward apple products). If you have the money feel free to spend it and buy more, but if it's starting to affect your life, considering getting some help. Wish you well.

ldominguez1986

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Am i the only one that finds myself justifying spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on the latest Apple hardware that i don't REALLY need

I have a perfectly good updated MBP with ample storage and memory and I never really experience any bottlenecks with it.

...... but I look now at the rumors of the new MBP, and my mind starts to form illogical pathways that convince me that if it's lighter and faster/with a retina display I not only should get it but i genuinely need it.

Until 4 years ago I never had a piece of apple hardware, then on that fateful day in November 2007- iPhone 2g launch day, passing by a O2 mobile phone store in London i thought... I will just go and in and see it, next thing I know I am walking out GBP200 worse off but with the iPhone (man was i popular for around a month)

Since that first taste of the the Apple high I have bought 4 MB Pros, 3 iPhones, 2 AppleTVs, 3 iPods, an IPad2 and various apple peripherals.

Incredible really, the combination of top notch build quality, military grade secrecy on new products, suspenseful marketing and an integrated platform approach have me well and truly hooked.

TBG

To each their own I guess...
The one thing that drives me nuts though is the iPad. Don't get me wrong I have the first one and its nice, but realistically it sits in my drawer collecting dust. I use my iPhone 4s for stuff I could use the iPad for. What I mean about it driving me nuts are the people that just aren't happy with one that they feel the need to buy the new one every year. What on earth do you need a camera on an iPad for??? I have had mine since day one, and I admit it lost it's novelty fairly quick.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
To each their own I guess...
The one thing that drives me nuts though is the iPad. Don't get me wrong I have the first one and its nice, but realistically it sits in my drawer collecting dust. I use my iPhone 4s for stuff I could use the iPad for. What I mean about it driving me nuts are the people that just aren't happy with one that they feel the need to buy the new one every year. What on earth do you need a camera on an iPad for??? I have had mine since day one, and I admit it lost it's novelty fairly quick.

I had an iPad 2 for almost a year, but sold it recently. It's a great device, but like you I found mine sitting and collecting dust. I got it before I got my MBP and enjoyed it, but once I got my MBP, I found myself preferring just to use that, and I have my iPhone for when I'm on the go or don't need to use my computer. Recently I tried hard to find new uses for it because I felt bad not making use of it, but I finally realized that it just wasn't something I made enough use of to justify keeping. It lost it's novelty very quickly for me as well (to each their own though; my mom has a first-gen iPad and loves it. It's just not for me).

allieverything

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012

TBG

I feel you. I often find myself trying to justify the need to have all brand new Apple products. So far I stopped at the Apple rechargeable battery charger. lol :)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

TBG

OP - Greatly written thread. Enjoyed reading it. Really hit me.

vsound

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
When you desire something (and we all desire something), your brain releases dopamine when you attain it and you get a short-lived high. It's very similar to how drug addiction works.

When the high has waned, you desire to have that dopamine release again. And again. And again.

Of course, it's great to purchase things you enjoy. We should all use our money to make us happy, but being responsible with your purchases will grant you a better financial life, which also leads to a more stable existence. That in itself promotes happiness which does not rely on an addiction, and can last until something unfortunate occurs to offset it.

The best thing you can do is to make yourself hesitate in your buying. Consider how the products will benefit you beyond flashing them to your friends just to say "Oh, look what I have!"

I have an iPhone 4S and a 15" MacBook Pro. A part of me wants the iPad to say I have it, but I have no real plans to purchase one because I can't justify spending that much just for the rare book I have time to read.

Good luck. I found a lot of comfort in Zen, which is something at the core of Apple's own philosophy. Everything should have a purpose in your life. All else is just clutter.

Last edited:

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Most people who compulsively buy gadgets like this are fiscally irresponsible.

Surely there's more important things to do like ... Payoff your car, or your student loans, or start saving for a house.

Anytime you catch yourself wanting to splurge on things you don't need, just think of your debts.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Most people who compulsively buy gadgets like this are fiscally irresponsible.

Surely there's more important things to do like ... Payoff your car, or your student loans, or start saving for a house.

Anytime you catch yourself wanting to splurge on things you don't need, just think of your debts.

you're that guy. When people are talking about something, you come crashing into the conversation raining on everyones parade.

party pooper

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.