Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

US Air Force Agrees to Purchase $9 Million Worth of iPads

The U.S. Air Force has awarded a $9.36 million contract to purchase as many as 18,000 iPad 2s, according to Bloomberg. The plan is to replace bulky and heavy flight bags full of navigational charts and other materials with iPads in order to reduce the weight of pilots' bags and save fuel on flights.

The Air Mobility Command, which is purchasing the iPads, provides transport and refueling services using C-5, C-17, and C-130 cargo planes, and KC-10 and KC-135 tankers.

A number of airlines have begun testing iPads to replace heavy flight bags, including United, Delta, American, and the Marine Corps.

The iPads will streamline pilots' work by eliminating the need for thumbing through sheafs of paper or waiting for pages to print. The iPads will reduce clutter on cramped flight decks and offer quick and easy access to required data at all times.

Article Link: US Air Force Agrees to Purchase $9 Million Worth of iPads
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
NXTMIKE
macrumors 6502

Well that's one way for Apple to clear out all their iPad 2 stock ahead of next week's release.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
moose.boy
macrumors member

How does this match up with the following

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/23/28...ussia-security

Is it the same tender or a different one ?
moose.boy is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
stridemat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXTMIKE View Post
Well that's one way for Apple to clear out all their iPad 2 stock ahead of next week's release.
Exactly what I was thinking. It's a win for Apple on both parts. Clearing out inventory and obtaining $9 million worth of revenue.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
ataranlen
macrumors newbie

Why don't they just start using better technology in their plane instrument panels. I'm sure most that stuff is heavy
ataranlen is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

They should wait a week and buy the iPad 3.
Consultant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
SandboxGeneral

That's a lot of iPad's! Now the Pentagon is going to write new policies for locking them down and restricting their use so that they're almost useless.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:49 AM   #8
marcusj0015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
they have to test all this **** for months bro.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
That's a lot of iPad's! Now the Pentagon is going to write new policies for locking them down and restricting their use so that they're almost useless.
They have to lock them down so they're secure bro. they'll use private networks and all kinds of ****, and it may be annoying but it's VERY important.
marcusj0015 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Jowl
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't wait for new aircraft to come with ipad dock connectors.
Jowl is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
JonneyGee
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Shows that the military doesn't subscribe to MacRumors. I'd be mad if I spent $600 on a device that was made obsolete a week later, not to mention several million!
JonneyGee is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #11
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I agree. Retina displays would make a big difference when viewing flight data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Isn't that kinda the point? They aren't so pilots can play angry birds...Don't worry, they will make them very useful for the jobs they are intended.
FrizzleFryBen is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #12
fabian9
macrumors 65816

That's $520 per iPad… Looks like negotiation isn't one of the Air Force's strong points!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #13
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

They have to lock them down so they're secure bro. they'll use private networks and all kinds of ****, and it may be annoying but it's VERY important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrizzleFryBen View Post
Isn't that kinda the point? They aren't so pilots can play angry birds...Don't worry, they will make them very useful for the jobs they are intended.
I'm former military myself so I know what it's all about. I was being sarcastic in my remark.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
kdarling
macrumors G4

Two important quotes from the article:

Quote:
The type of iPad the command is buying retails for $599, Ferrero said. The Air Force would buy it at a discount for about $520 a device, she said. The product comes with wireless connectivity and 32 gigabytes of memory, she said.
Quote:
The contract allows the Air Force to buy as many as 18,000 of the devices within a year of the award date, which was yesterday, Ferrero said.

“That doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll purchase all 18,000,” she said. “It’s contingent upon funding requests and approval.”

The Air Force has already bought 63 iPad 2s from Executive Technology, Ferrero said. The devices will be delivered within 30 days and undergo testing, she said.
Btw, the USAF group that awarded the contract was the transport guys:

Quote:
Air Mobility Command, based at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, provides transport and refueling services to the U.S. military using C-5, C-17 and C-130 cargo planes and KC-10 and KC-135 tankers.
kdarling is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #15
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXTMIKE View Post
Yup, though the purchases won't happen right away, and I'm betting Apple continues selling the iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
That's $520 per iPad… Looks like negotiation isn't one of the Air Force's strong points!
They are not buying the 16GB WiFi model, though I'd bet the price point of the iPad 2 is going to drop. It's possible the deal will allow them to purchase iPad 3 as well since the actual purchases are still pending.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #16
pjapk
macrumors newbie

D'ya think they'll ensure they switch 'em off during take-off & landing like the rest of us?
pjapk is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #17
colindias
macrumors newbie

Cool Drop in the bucket...

This paves the way for future Government purchases... which is great, but to put this in perspective, in the grand scheme of things this amounts to about $0.009/share revenue for AAPL shareholders, or at 44% profit, about $0.004/share, so dont go getting too excited about it...
colindias is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #18
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Two important quotes from the article:

Like people here read the linked articles before replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colindias View Post
This paves the way for future Government purchases... which is great, but to put this in perspective, in the grand scheme of things this amounts to about $0.009/share revenue for AAPL shareholders, or at 44% profit, about $0.004/share, so dont go getting too excited about it...

The publicity Apple receives because of stories like these is worth millions.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Now they need to refit the jets for iPod compatibility :P
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #20
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonneyGee View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Shows that the military doesn't subscribe to MacRumors. I'd be mad if I spent $600 on a device that was made obsolete a week later, not to mention several million!
The military spending millions of dollars on obsolete technology? Shocking!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:31 PM   #21
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
One model away from newest hardware and the current OS is not even close to obsolete.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Daeruin
macrumors newbie

Just make sure the battery is charged before takeoff!
Daeruin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:37 PM   #23
SandboxGeneral

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonneyGee View Post

Well to be fair, the military and governments in general do not make snap decisions to buy anything.

The Air Force and Pentagon probably have had this on the burner for months in committee and study before they decided to purchase. Plus Apple likely provided them a quote, for the current available product, quite some time ago. All long before the iPad 3 rumors started. Plus they can't plan to buy a product that hasn't been announced yet.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjapk View Post
D'ya think they'll ensure they switch 'em off during take-off & landing like the rest of us?
or get their data throttled like the rest of us
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #25
DJJAZZYJET
macrumors 6502

they should have waited until the iPad 3
DJJAZZYJET is offline   -6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion