Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Mar 4, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
TimeCrash
macrumors newbie

Xbox Live with Macbook Open NAT help

(I apologize if this isn't very coherent, my previous post got erased as I forgot to sign in so I'm annoyed, it was a awesome post! )
Hello there! After many attempts I have been frustrated to high heaven attempting to change my NAT on Xbox Live from Moderate to Open using a ethernet connection to my Macbook. I have the older model 360 without the Wi-Fi. My Router and Modem are too far away for a direct connection and having a cord going throughout the home isn't ideal for the other people living here. I did test the Xbox with a direct connection and it worked with a Open NAT. But It was not my room so I couldn't exactly stay and play.

I have all the correct ports forwarded AND triggered(which I just did at the suggestion of xbox.com support) as well as UPnP enabled(I also tried using DMZ) on my router. Still no success. I figure the Macbook is the one that needs tampering with. I have downloaded WaterRoof and messed with the NAT settings on that the other day....still nothing. So I cleared the settings and plan on trying again later.

My Xbox settings are as follows:
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
Subnet:255.255.255.0 (Same as Macbook)
Gateway:10.0.0.1 (Same as Macbook, the static IP Address for the Macbook I believe)

DNS settings are my Router's IP addresses.

My Router is a Linksys WRT54G2. My Macbook software is Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I can play with a Moderate NAT, but I cant download any form of content or title updates. The Dashboard really doesn't pop up the way its supposed to at all. I can't even Redeem Codes! (All this would work with a direct connection to the router though, but I really can't do that long term.)
I tried using the IP address of the ports that I am forwarding but that didn't seem to be working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TimeCrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:40 AM   #2
TimeCrash
macrumors newbie

So, errrr...don't mean to double post but no ideas or suggestions?
TimeCrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
macnoober
macrumors newbie

Here's a simple guide to resolving the strict/moderate NAT problem for your Apple routers and Xbox Live:

If you want to try the DEFAULT HOST option(this is referred to as putting your Xbox in the DMZ; it puts the Xbox IN FRONT of the router, your internet connection bypasses the router and goes straight to the Xbox). This is the easiest/fastest method:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcAtB5NUqKs

If you want to try NAT PORT MAPPING PROTOCOL- https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3414
here's the ports you'll need:
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

If you're using the Xbox wireless adapter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz2-MhxBVg
macnoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games