Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:05 AM   #1
acidfast7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
what is the world receord for highest number of battery cycles

i'll settle for the MR record as well.

just curious how many I need to do, to beat the WR or MRR?
acidfast7 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Abstract
macrumors Penryn
 
Abstract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Location Location
862.




Just kidding, I made that up. The real answer is 721.
__________________
"Hard? It's supposed to be hard. Hard is what makes it great!" - Tom Hanks.
Abstract is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
acidfast7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
862.




Just kidding, I made that up. The real answer is 721.
I have more than both of those. I'm curious if people are over 1000, 1500 or 2000?

I'm at roughly 900 after taking delivery 19 Feb 2009 (so roughly 0.8 cycles/day for 3 years) of a 13.3" Alu unibody macbook

I'm curious if I can get a new MBP if I make it to maybe 2000 or so.
acidfast7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:20 AM   #4
LostSoul80
macrumors 68020
 
LostSoul80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I'm curious if I can get a new MBP if I make it to maybe 2000 or so.
Serious?
__________________
Automatic Fans: UltraFan
LostSoul80 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:38 AM   #5
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I'm currently on 221 for a mid-2011 MBP.

I've seen a lot of battery cycle threads on MR over the last few days.
I'm currently looking at the information in System Report, but I don't know if my battery is actually healthy or not?

Could anyone provide a quick 101?
__________________
JUiCEJamie is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
acidfast7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUiCEJamie View Post
I'm currently on 221 for a mid-2011 MBP.

I've seen a lot of battery cycle threads on MR over the last few days.
I'm currently looking at the information in System Report, but I don't know if my battery is actually healthy or not?

Could anyone provide a quick 101?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519?v...S&locale=en_US
acidfast7 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:37 AM   #7
JUiCEJamie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Wow, so using 33% recharging it to 100%.
Then the next to days doing exactly the same is only 1 charge cycle?
So one charge cycle is 100% over however long? I didn't know that.

So, my MBP is recommended 1000 charge cycles.
Would it just be wise to always use my MBP with the magsafe charger always in?
And never let it drop a single 1%?
__________________
JUiCEJamie is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Quote:
So, my MBP is recommended 1000 charge cycles.
Would it just be wise to always use my MBP with the magsafe charger always in?
And never let it drop a single 1%
It would be wise to stop worrying about your battery's health. Batteries can be replaced and will die over time anyways. Worrying about it isn't going to change that.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:21 AM   #9
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
leftywamumonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUiCEJamie View Post
Wow, so using 33% recharging it to 100%.
Then the next to days doing exactly the same is only 1 charge cycle?
So one charge cycle is 100% over however long? I didn't know that.

So, my MBP is recommended 1000 charge cycles.
Would it just be wise to always use my MBP with the magsafe charger always in?
And never let it drop a single 1%?
Keeping it charged all the time isn't a good thing. You have to cycle the battery once in a while.
__________________
Bring the Mac Pro back!
leftywamumonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:18 AM   #10
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816
 
mgartner0622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Colorado, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
I have a friend with a '08 Aluminum MacBook and around 1300 with 85% capacity.

My Black MacBook (2.4GHz) has the original battery and 755 with 99%.

My main computer, a CTO 15" 2.5GHz MacBook Pro is at 100% and 32 cycles. This is my first computer with the built in battery so I hope I can see over 1000. I usually use the battery down till about 20 or 30% then plug it in, probably 4x a week.
__________________
15" 2.6GHz rMBP, 27" LED Cinema Display, iPhone 5S, iPod Classic
mgartner0622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I have more than both of those. I'm curious if people are over 1000, 1500 or 2000?

I'm at roughly 900 after taking delivery 19 Feb 2009 (so roughly 0.8 cycles/day for 3 years) of a 13.3" Alu unibody macbook

I'm curious if I can get a new MBP if I make it to maybe 2000 or so.
Can't you find something more interesting to feel superior about?
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a
 
Gator24765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
My cycle count is 905 and counting. MBP late 2009.
__________________
TechATX YouTube | One Week Fantasy Football Leagues! | Bet on Sports at Bovada! 50% deposit bonus!

13" MBP 2012 2.5 i5; iPhone 5 16gb (Sprint)
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:18 PM   #13
renewed
macrumors 68040
 
renewed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
957 cycles. Late 2007 MacBook.
__________________
Der Optimist erklärt, dass wir in der besten aller möglichen Welten leben, und der Pessimist fürchtet, dass dies wahr ist. - James Branch Cabell
renewed is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
acidfast7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
ohhhhhhh

looks like there's some competition in here

post some screenshots!
acidfast7 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:29 AM   #15
ricktammenaars
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011


am i word champion now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafbeelding 2012-03-27 om 11.24.40.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	332569  
ricktammenaars is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:36 AM   #16
acidfast7
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktammenaars View Post
Image

am i word champion now?
nice job, i'm just at 900 now.

acidfast7 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Huntn
macrumors 604
 
Huntn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Misty Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUiCEJamie View Post
I'm currently on 221 for a mid-2011 MBP.

I've seen a lot of battery cycle threads on MR over the last few days.
I'm currently looking at the information in System Report, but I don't know if my battery is actually healthy or not?

Could anyone provide a quick 101?
There is a MacRumors Laptop Battery Guide.

My MBP (see sig) is 11 months old and here is what the profiler says about my battery:
Quote:
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 49
Condition: Normal
__________________
The modern business ethos: "I'm worth it, you're not, and I'm a glutton!"
MBP, 2.2 GHz intel i7, Radeon HD 6750M, Bootcamp: W7.
PC: i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, Asus GTX670 (2GB VRAM), W7.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:13 PM   #18
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
My mid 2009 MBP has 1082 cycles, health 89%.
The current batteries are pretty amazing. I can't really see anyone ever needing to get a new battery [as long as its not faulty]. The computer will become outdated before that happens. By the same stage my 2004 ibook was already on its second battery [luckily I got the second one free because the initial battery was recalled].
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #19
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hudson Valley
Mine has 622 cycles but only 83% capacity.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
Mine has 622 cycles but only 83% capacity.
Really? That's not very good if its a recent laptop. But if its an older laptop [the kind where you can easily remove the battery yourself, then I think that's probably normal]. I don't know much about batteries but I remember around 4 or 5 years ago when they redesigned the laptops they gave them a different type of battery that lasts a lot longer.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I think there are different rules for different battery types, so check what yours is and have a look around the apple support site.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:46 PM   #21
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hudson Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils View Post
Really? That's not very good if its a recent laptop. But if its an older laptop [the kind where you can easily remove the battery yourself, then I think that's probably normal]. I don't know much about batteries but I remember around 4 or 5 years ago when they redesigned the laptops they gave them a different type of battery that lasts a lot longer.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I think there are different rules for different battery types, so check what yours is and have a look around the apple support site.
It's a unibody Macbook Pro just shy of 3 years old. Probably due to my short-cycling the battery repeatedly. (I very rarely run it dead)
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:11 AM   #22
Predator69
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
So its better to run the battery until 1% than only charge it or plug in the charger when ever you are near the plug point?
Predator69 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:04 AM   #23
daneoni
macrumors G4
 
daneoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
The opposite.
__________________
15" rMBP Core i7 | 27" ACD | AEBS | 5G iPod | iPhone 5S | 3G Apple TV | rMini
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:12 AM   #24
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020
 
Comeagain?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator69 View Post
So its better to run the battery until 1% than only charge it or plug in the charger when ever you are near the plug point?
Whenever it is needed or convenient.
__________________
Questions? MRoogle it!
Current iOS 8 "All the little things!"
MR Scavenger Score: 1
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:03 AM   #25
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
I plough through cycles. Was over 800 on a previous MacBook Pro that I had owned for 1.8 years. One I have right now I've had just over a year, and I've had 623 cycles.

I really should try use it plugged in rather than wasting cycles, but Apple says 1000 cycles without charge loss so we'll see.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 8
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 6TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I have the world record for battery cycles on the 2012 MBA? Jobsian MacBook Air 41 Nov 16, 2014 11:59 PM
Any way to tell number of battery cycles on an iPhone without jailbreaking? Looon iPhone 20 Jun 11, 2013 04:16 PM
Is it possible to cheat the number of battery cycles? 13rutal MacBook Air 19 Feb 3, 2013 05:52 PM
Highest PowerPC OpenMark score IN THE WORLD: what is it? I think I have it :) Jethryn Freyman PowerPC Macs 35 Nov 26, 2012 04:51 AM
Battery Cycles marty1990 MacBook Pro 3 Jul 2, 2012 07:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC