Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Television Commercial for 'The New iPad'

As it always does when it releases a new product, Apple has produced an elegant television commercial for the new iPad. Unsurprisingly, the ad focuses solely on the retina display, something that Apple feels sets the iPad apart from the other tablets on the market.

The ad doesn't talk about specifications or price. Instead, it shows the iPad being used to edit a photograph, read a book, watch a movie, and draw a picture.
Quote:
When a screen becomes this good, colors are more vibrant. Words are pin sharp. Everything is more brilliant. Because when a screen becomes this good, it's simply you and the things you care about. The stunning Retina Display on the new iPad.
Article Link: Apple Releases Television Commercial for 'The New iPad'
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

This is a great beginning, but can the new iPad replace a MacBook?

I want to know if I can get by with an iPad in place of the MacBook, or do I need a new MacBook?
Four oF NINE is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

I cannot wait for mine to arrive next Friday. Days are gonna drag!
Caliber26 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
applefan289
macrumors 68000

I clicked on this right when it was posted on the website, and was able to see many other selectable videos. Now they're gone!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post

I want to know if I can get by with an iPad in place of the MacBook, or do I need a new MacBook?
Hum... you do realise that only you can answer that. No one here can tell you what your needs are.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
MiWall81
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wish there were more pixels... : ( psych!
MiWall81 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:35 PM   #7
SPNarwhal
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to SPNarwhal
I can't imagine it replacing a Macbook. Maybe a replacement on the go, but not a full replacement.

Also, is it just me or does the guy in the Ad sound more like he's saying Ratna then Retina? Just an observation, not trying to downtalk the ad. I like it.
SPNarwhal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Quote:

"Real" computers always have a place for me - they are my primary means of doing everything. The iPad/iPhone are excellent, but are naturally secondary devices, the way I see it.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Hum... you do realise that only you can answer that. No one here can tell you what your needs are.
Does the iPad offer tabbed browsing with Safari now? I'm getting the new iPad, but I think I'm going to update my MacBook soon too.
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
lilo777
Banned

Quote:

Yes, 10" screen is what we always wanted for our computers.
lilo777 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
blow45
Banned

Quote:
Does the iPad offer tabbed browsing with Safari now? I'm getting the new iPad, but I think I'm going to update my MacBook soon too.
Yes it does, but you could do it already a long time before by app store browsers such as iCab and atomic, there's opera too that is free.
blow45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Radio
macrumors 68000

I like these newer iPad commercials over the earlier ones "iPad does this iPad does that" wayyy agressive!

This is welcoming! In for a 32 GB
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

So does this mean I'm going to have to sync my iPhone 4S with my iPad too?
Four oF NINE is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Where are the robots and explosions?

Oh right....
Michael Scrip is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:57 PM   #15
dromi
macrumors member

Bring it on!!!
dromi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #16
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Slow news day today?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #17
Komrad808
macrumors member

How long will people be running around asking "did u get the New iPad?" "yes I did!....3 months ago!" LOL
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Steve Jobs.
macrumors regular

Quote:

If you're even thinking about the mere possibility of replacing a MacBook with an iPad then you probably don't need a Macbook in the first place and can get by with just an ipad.

I guarantee that a lot of casual macbook users don't even tap into 10% of the power of their laptops.

I use mine for development work as a CS major and use my macbook for literally and almost everything.

I see other people though who only use it to browse facebook and maybe type out the occasional essay for class and maybe check their email, all of which don't even need 10% of the processing power of a macbook....I mean I'm exaggerating a bit but the point still stands.
Steve Jobs. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:03 PM   #19
blow45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs. View Post
If you're even thinking about the mere possibility of replacing a MacBook with an iPad then you probably don't need a Macbook in the first place and can get by with just an ipad.

I guarantee that a lot of casual macbook users don't even tap into 10% of the power of their laptops.

I use mine for development work as a CS major and use my macbook for literally and almost everything.

I see other people though who only use it to browse facebook and maybe type out the occasional essay for class and maybe check their email, all of which don't even need 10% of the processing power of a macbook....I mean I'm exaggerating a bit but the point still stands.
So what exactly is everyrhitng that you use it for?
blow45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:03 PM   #20
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs. View Post

You may think it does not take a full laptop to type a paper, you don't know the [deleted] I put my spellchecker through. Being the laptop of a profoundly dyslexic person who thinks he is a talking dog, must not be fun.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:09 PM   #21
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Narrator is different than the iPad 2 ad narrator. I don't like it.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:12 PM   #22
boomish
Banned

So whats the story on "The New iPad" and not iPad 3..

It's great I love but it ain't a reinvention..
boomish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #23
jctevere
macrumors regular

Oh dear, Steve hasn't even been gone for that long and Apple is already making huge stupid decisions. The "New iPad"?!?! Are you kidding? Why not just iPad 3 - keep it simple stupid!

What are they going to do when they come out with the 4th iPad model - the "newest iPad" or "new new iPad" or better yet, "new iPad 4". Sheesh, this is retarded.

Aside from that, the iPad itself is pretty cool, I'd be curious as to the quality of the pictures it can take, even though its only a 5 megapixel camera.
jctevere is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:23 PM   #24
bkushner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
Oh dear, Steve hasn't even been gone for that long and Apple is already making huge stupid decisions. The "New iPad"?!?! Are you kidding? Why not just iPad 3 - keep it simple stupid!

What are they going to do when they come out with the 4th iPad model - the "newest iPad" or "new new iPad" or better yet, "new iPad 4". Sheesh, this is retarded.

Aside from that, the iPad itself is pretty cool, I'd be curious as to the quality of the pictures it can take, even though its only a 5 megapixel camera.
The brand is "Ipad". not ipad 7 or ipad 9 which is what would have happened.
Smart company. Is that an Ipad? you can answer yes, it is.
bkushner is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 07:26 PM   #25
akm3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkushner View Post
The brand is "Ipad". not ipad 7 or ipad 9 which is what would have happened.
Smart company. Is that an Ipad? you can answer yes, it is.
Exactly. You'd sound weird saying "I'm waiting for the Macbook Air 7"
akm3 is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion