Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_digital_copy_harry_potter.jpg

Tech of the Hub notes (via Wired) that the new upgrades to the iTunes in the Cloud services to include movies purchased from the iTunes Store have another benefit: matching of iTunes Digital Copies that are sometimes included with the purchase of films on DVD or Blu-ray.
I purchased the 2009 release of Star Trek on Blu-ray which came with a digital copy on an additional physical disc. A while ago, I loaded that digital copy on my iMac. [...] I can now stream the movie directly from Apple's cloud. Star Trek shows up under my purchased titles and the iCloud icon appears with it.
The feature is of course limited to those films which are currently available through the iTunes Store, but for those that are it provides a convenient way to access bundled digital copies from any iCloud-connected Apple device.

Article Link: iTunes in the Cloud for Movies Matches Digital Copies Included with Disc Purchases

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
It would be nice if they gave you access to the HD version of the movie also (especially if you purchased the Bluray).

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Noticed this yesterday. Unfortunately I was only able to download the crappy low quality version I originally had and not an HD version like I had hoped. Still pretty cool feature!

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
My problem with the digital download version was always that I buy the Blu-ray disc, and then the digital version isn't HD.

Anyone know if you can stream the HD version from the Cloud or are you limited to SD?

Currently if I want an HD digital version I have to get it through other means, even though I own the Blu-ray.

EDIT: I see the person above me might have answered my question as I typed it.

Last edited:

hissy1701

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Not in UK

Shame that the UK have been left out on the Movies side of things, got everything else just cant download old Movies :-(

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Does anyone know if the digital copy you get with the BluRay Triple Play movies is SD or HD? 720p or 1080p?

The UK iTunes store doesn't have much in the way of HD movies so I thought the Triple Play disks would be a good way to build my iTunes HD library.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Very cool. This could possibly aid in preventing rampant piracy in the future.

I was thinking it might have the opposite effect. I would think someone will find a way to get those digital copies out on the net and then people could just download them and bam, iTunes Movie Match.

Zoiks

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
I would love to see Apple add the ability to 'upgrade' your movie for a small fee to the HD version.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It would be nice if they gave you access to the HD version of the movie also (especially if you purchased the Bluray).

Yeah.

HOLLYWOOD - If you don't want me ripping Blu-Rays, you need to put HD versions on the disks when I buy Blu-Ray.

I don't mind them being locked to my iTunes account. I do mind them being SD.

I was thinking it might have the opposite effect. I would think someone will find a way to get those digital copies out on the net and then people could just download them and bam, iTunes Movie Match.

Those movies are already out there. No one's going to go to the trouble to hack iTunes just to get something that already exists. That's the real problem with anti-piracy technology. It stops everyone BUT the pirates.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

I imagine it’s just a matter of time now. I’ve been quite impressed with iCloud as it seems Apple if forcing the industry to a model where simple upgrades to quality aren’t considered a whole new purchase.

BRBonowicz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Not all digital copies are included. Inception (which is currently not available on iTunes) is a digital copy I had (that is not a part of the Fox/Universal exclusion) and is not available in iCloud.

UltimateFighter

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Noticed this yesterday. Unfortunately I was only able to download the crappy low quality version I originally had and not an HD version like I had hoped. Still pretty cool feature!

My understanding is that you can stream it in HD to your Apple TV from iCloud, but if you download it from iCloud, it'll be the SD version.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Does anyone know if they updated the movie section for homesharing? (the computer app) or is it still just a list with no album art grid?

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I dont get how this works. So if I have a DVD of a movie (which I have tons) I can load it to the cloud for free ?

What if I have a rip from a dvd ?

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I really like the idea of my content not being locked into a single-vendor, but having the convenience of something like iTunes to get to the content. This seems to achieve that nicely (if only you could get the HD version).

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
My understanding is that you can stream it in HD to your Apple TV from iCloud, but if you download it from iCloud, it'll be the SD version.

Yep that's what I heard too. Great feature, but is kinda backwards since 1080p HD is going to take a lot of bandwidth to stream. Can't complain and this will probably convince me to buy an Apple TV, so maybe it's the right decision.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

My understanding is that the streaming is only for the Apple TV, whereas on the iPad or iPhone, you have to download it to watch it (like music in the cloud)... But unlike for music, you cannot start watching it until it's fully downloaded onto the iDevice.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Not all digital copies are included. Inception (which is currently not available on iTunes) is a digital copy I had (that is not a part of the Fox/Universal exclusion) and is not available in iCloud.

The last sentence in the article:

The feature is of course limited to those films which are currently available through the iTunes Store, but for those that are it provides a convenient way to access bundled digital copies from any iCloud-connected Apple device.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

On Apple TV: Album art grid only for purchased movies. The computer movies are still in list view. :(

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah.

HOLLYWOOD - If you don't want me ripping Blu-Rays, you need to put HD versions on the disks when I buy Blu-Ray.

I don't mind them being locked to my iTunes account. I do mind them being SD.

Good ol' Hollywood. Two steps forward, one step back. The good news is that by 2018 they might realize its 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.