Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hazza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Reading that the new iPad was a tad thicker than the iPad 2, I was surprised to see MobileFun.co.uk claiming to have stock of a vast range of cases for the as yet unreleased iPad. I queried it with MobileFun and they assured me the current MicroShell Folio I wanted would work with the new iPad.

I decided to do my own independent research and asked Marware the same question. Their reply:

"The MicroShell, MicroShell Folio, and CEO Hybrid products for iPad 2 are not compatible with 'the new iPad'. They might fit, but the quality of that fit isn't great."

I forwarded this onto MobileFun, but it seems they have chosen to completely disregard this information.

Beware!

Cheers
Harry

crghwkns

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
0.6mm seems a fair bit thicker to me when it comes to old cases and shells being compatible.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
It all depends on the type of case.

The shells that just barely grip around the front edges of the device just may not lock in if the iPad 3 is even a tiny bit thicker.

Any case your device slides into should still work but might fit slightly tighter.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Reading that the new iPad was a tad thicker than the iPad 2, I was surprised to see MobileFun.co.uk claiming to have stock of a vast range of cases for the as yet unreleased iPad. I queried it with MobileFun and they assured me the current MicroShell Folio I wanted would work with the new iPad.

I decided to do my own independent research and asked Marware the same question. Their reply:

"The MicroShell, MicroShell Folio, and CEO Hybrid products for iPad 2 are not compatible with 'the new iPad'. They might fit, but the quality of that fit isn't great."

I forwarded this onto MobileFun, but it seems they have chosen to completely disregard this information.

Beware!

Cheers
Harry

The correct microshell is available direct from Marware. Use coupon code: MARWAREMC01 for 10% off & free shipping still applies

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
0.6mm is nothing, it's not even as thick as 7 sheets of paper.

Here's how to see if your iPad 2 case will fit your new iPad.

1. Take 4 sheets of A4 paper
  2. Cut them in half
  3. Place 7 of the half pieces in your case
  4. Place iPad 2 in case

This is now thicker than the new iPad, does it fit OK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.