Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
I absolutely dread this question when in a job interview situation. It's worse than the "Tell me about yourself" one.

How do I identify my weaknesses. I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I can't think of any weaknesses that are job related. I can't say I don't have any weaknesses otherwise I come off arrogant and don't get hired, but I can't say this and that and then not get hired because of it.

Any tips on how to master this question or any interview tips at all?

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Tell them something absurd.

Seriously, I hate that question. It's an invitation to either lie or tell them something that can be superficially considered a weakness but is supposed to sound positive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My awesomeness makes everyone else feel inferior (as well they should) :p

Seriously, while you may get some honest responses, people in general do not like being brutally honest with themselves with such a sensitive subject, never mind posting it on an internet forum.

I agree with (marc) with point.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Tell them something absurd.

Seriously, I hate that question. It's an invitation to either lie or tell them something that can be superficially considered a weakness but is supposed to sound positive.

I was once at an interview for a retail job. The questions before already annoyed me a little so I started saying dumb things like a crippling need for sex every 3 hours.

I got offered the job, but declined.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
I absolutely dread this question when in a job interview situation. It's worse than the "Tell me about yourself" one.

How do I identify my weaknesses. I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but I can't think of any weaknesses that are job related. I can't say I don't have any weaknesses otherwise I come off arrogant and don't get hired, but I can't say this and that and then not get hired because of it.

Any tips on how to master this question or any interview tips at all?

You can say that your main weakness is that you cannot be honest at "what are your weaknesses" questions ;)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
"Suffering fools who ask stupid interview questions."

OP, whether true of not, come up with something that is not too damning, but can show you have capacity for self-assessment and growth. For example: "I sometimes take criticism too personally. However, this recognition has prompted me to pause when criticized and open a dialog with the evaluator to spot areas in which I can improve."

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Female employer: Whats your biggest weekness?

Me: My massive penis. It can be such a burden sometimes.

Instant Job.....as manager.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
My biggest weakness is my left knee. Hit it and I'm down :p

Wuss. I can take a perfectly straight, cylindrical, metal tipped, projectile flung from a bow at my knee and still be able to do my taxes, cook dinner and operate heavy machinery....all at the same time.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I normally say something like "I am a perfectionist and have a tendency to hold others to that same standard when it is not needed. This has caused problems before, especially with coursework, when not communicated to others - I have different expectations and this can cause some team tension if I'm not 100% aware of this all the time."

It's true, and well it's easier to tell them an honest answer than make up some BS answer.

Skyrim

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I had been asked this question during the interview. It was really the uncomfortable experience.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I have answered: "This exact question in interviews is my weakness. You know no one will answer honestly, right?" If I recall correctly he smiled and said "good point" and moved on. I did get the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.