Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a report from The Korea Times (via SlashGear), an anonymous Samsung executive reveals that Apple has committed to purchase at least $9.7 billion worth of components from the company this year, with Apple's expenditures potentially reaching $11 billion depending on demand. According to the executive, growth will be driven in part by the new iPad, as well as more MacBook Air units utilizing Samsung solid-state drives and a smaller iPad.
''The contract is expected to rise to $11 billion by the end of this year as Apple is planning to release a smaller iPad, probably with a 7.85-inch screen, and to sell more of its MacBook Air PCs using Samsung's faster solid state drive (SSD) storage,'' the official said.

Apple CEO Tim Cook agreed with Samsung Electronics Chief Operating Officer (COO) Lee Jay-yong to use the Korean firm's components until the end of 2014 during Lee's visit to his office in Cupertino, Calif., late last year.
Apple reportedly contracted for $7.8 billion in components from Samsung in 2011, with the numbers for this year revealing yet another substantial increase as Apple's device shipments continue to rise.

iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
Mockup by CiccareseDesign
The report also quotes a source who claims that Samsung will be providing new PLS-based LCDs for the smaller iPad, while Apple has also expressed interest in OLED technology. The source claims that Apple would like to use OLED and that Samsung is committed to bringing the technology to iOS devices, but that Apple does not currently see a way for Samsung to produce the required screens at necessary levels.

Reports of a 7.85-inch "iPad mini" have been circulating for some time, and it seems reasonable to conclude that Apple has at least been toying with the concept. There has yet to be any firm evidence, however, that the company is seeking to move forward toward a public release.

Article Link: Anonymous Samsung Executive Claims Apple Planning to Launch Smaller iPad by End of 2012

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Apple is going to be furious about this leak. I remember a similar leak that cost a certain graphics card manufacturer the contract for supplying the graphics cards for MacBook Pros and iMacs.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
A smaller iPad? Wow, what a unique rumor. I have never read anything like that before!:eek:

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
It's funny: Samsung, one of Apple's greatest tablet competitors, is claiming Apple is following in Samsung's footsteps!

Sounds like they want us to buy Samsung tablets now, since they're the iPad of the future... :D

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The size is unlikely, and OLED is just not Apple. They've actually spoken against it I believe.

As for "iPad mini" - Am I the only one who hates this as a name? Even if Apple do release a smaller iPad?

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
Remote for the new TV, which if does happen, now jumps into the premium price category. Like it wasn't going to anyways.

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Big controller for the iTV? There is a market for an iPad mini and if it comes out then Steve almost definitely agreed it. Guess time will tell!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Personally I think Apple should do it. I feel that, for adults, the current size is perfect -- however, for kids, the size would be better for smaller hands.

The iPod touch is now getting a little long in the tooth and I think this would also fill in those sales that have started to wain and will continue to as time goes by.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Remote for the new TV, which if does happen, now jumps into the premium price category. Like it wasn't going to anyways.

Agreed...was going to post the same thing...

It's going to be the interface/controller/remote for the new Apple TV.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.