Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your thoughts on spiders?

• Hate them

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • I'm practically half-spider

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I just throw them outside

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Never had spiders in my house

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
K
I guess now that Spring is here (didn't really have a Winter though) all the spiders are showing back up :(. I've been killing a couple every day with bug spray. Hate spiders.

What do you think about them? Do you hate them and kill them on sight? Or are you one of those weirdos that lets them take over your house?

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
If I find one in my house, and I have something to kill it with, most of the time I'll kill it, but I usually can't find something to kill it with before it runs away. If I feel nice I'll get a piece of paper and put it outside, also permitting I can still find it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't mind small spiders (ones that are size of my nail). Big ones, such as house spiders in the UK, I can't stand.

I have to kill them because I can't not know where it is. Sure, there's probably others lurking around, but the one I spotted, I have to get rid of. I'd rather chuck it out a window, but I don't have the balls. Usually a hoover job.

I'm meant to be visiting my sister, who is in Australia for a year, this summer. Sydney is home to a nasty couple of spiders I hear.

Even if they don't bite, I still hugely dislike them. Wish I didn't have such a phobia.. but apparently chimps react the same way to them. Natural to be scared perhaps.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I have a cat for spiders. He'll eat small ones and anything large intrigues him and he'll either play with it until it dies or he'll cause enough of a ruckus for it to either hide or draw my attention, in which case it'll be taken care of.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
K
I have a cat for spiders. He'll eat small ones and anything large intrigues him and he'll either play with it until it dies or he'll cause enough of a ruckus for it to either hide or draw my attention, in which case it'll be taken care of.

Hahaha that sounds like fun to watch. My dog just seems to ignore them, wish she'd try to eat them.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
No dangerous spiders near me so I don't see any reason to kill them. In fact I encourage others to leave spiders alone... They are a good, environmentally-friendly type of bug control, specifically disease-carrying insects such as mosquitoes.

I also have a pet tarantula so its seems wrong to kill spiders in front of her.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I often kill small ones, not because I'm scared of them but just because if I don't then they'll eventually take over the whole house. As for big ones (I get ones the size of my palm here) I usually start by leaping into the air in fright, and follow it up with half a can of spray :p

I found a book scorpion the other day which was a new experience for me (I didn't know that we had them here) but I managed to deal with that too.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
K
I often kill small ones, not because I'm scared of them but just because if I don't then they'll eventually take over the whole house. As for big ones (I get ones the size of my palm here) I usually start by leaping into the air in fright, and follow it up with half a can of spray :p

I found a book scorpion the other day which was a new experience for me (I didn't know that we had them here) but I managed to deal with that too.

The size of your palm??:eek: I couldn't survive where you live, I consider the ones that are the size of a half dollar to be huge.

----------

Spiders scare the bejeezus out of me:(

But could anyone honestly pick option 4? if so, you're a very lucky person lol

Thought I'd throw that option in so no one felt left out :p

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Where is the option for "I hate spiders so much that every time I see them I scream like a little girl"? :eek:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Some spiders are small and easily transported outside. I can deal with those. The big ones that leap and evade, that seem to have a sense of an approaching human, I don't like.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
mmmm do i like spiders??

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I wish i had an impenetrable armor suit made from diamonds so i could face all the spiders in this world with my unlimited ammo flame thrower.

Thats how much i hate spiders.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
1. Take can of compressed air
2. Shake it up and invert it
3. Aim at spider and, poof, cryogenically frozen spider

Also works great on those annoying stink bugs that invade your house.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK

:0 Why didn't I ever think of that....

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Hate spiders, but flying/buzzing insects send me into cardiac arrest.

That's why you keep spiderbros in your house. I always let spiders live – I rarely even put them outside – because I know they're keeping the house free of ants, moths, and other assorted nasties. I live in the woods so there's a 0% chance I'll ever be without bugs of of kinds, so the spiders help cull the swarming masses.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It depends really. If they are on me, in my room or bathroom they are dead. If they are just around the house I'll either leave them be or toss them outside. Dangerous species such as the black widow get killed.

Wasps and hornets on the other hand I'll kill if they are in range. Any nests I spot get destroyed. I wouldn't mind them if they were like bees and flee when you wave your hand. What bothers me is their aggression.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
K

That does sound a little safer than trying to avoid inhaling dangerous amounts of bug spray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.