Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Your thoughts on spiders?

• Hate them

Votes: 38 48.7%
  • I'm practically half-spider

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • I just throw them outside

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Never had spiders in my house

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I remember waking up one morning to hear my mother saying, "There's a spider in the bathtub! So, if you take a shower, chase it out so it doesn't drown!"

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I don't like them, but if I can, I toss them outside as I recognize they are my friend in a round about way. ;)

I agree. I can't stand them, but I can identify the ones that bite and the ones that are less apt to. So, the wolf spiders stay in the house while biting ones get dead really quick.

The ones with questionable motives are presumed innocent and removed to the back yard.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I agree. I can't stand them, but I can identify the ones that bite and the ones that are less apt to. So, the wolf spiders stay in the house while biting ones get dead really quick.

I agree. Zero maintenance pets, and if you have a cat(s), no need to buy catnip mice.

The ones with questionable motives are presumed innocent and removed to the back yard.

No waterboarding first? You'd make a piss-poor Republican. :rolleyes:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

My favorite insect eaters are lizards and geckos of which live in abundance in East Central Texas. Although I'd love to have them in the house, the environment is inhospitable, not enough bugs and low humidity. Occasionally I find a lizard mummy in a corner, so when I spot one, I chase it down and gently release it into the backyard bushes.

Last edited:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
My favorite insect eaters are lizards and geckos of which live in abundance in East Central Texas. Although I'd love to have them in the house, the environment is inhospitable, not enough bugs, and low humidity, so on the occasion I spot one, I chase it down and gently release it into the backyard bushes.

I'm glad to hear people still show kindness to living things. We don't have those around here, so the spiders have to stand in.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
My favorite insect eaters are lizards and geckos of which live in abundance in East Central Texas.

Geckos are the cutest little buggers, aren't they?

I can't imagine ANYONE being upset with one being near-by or actually (if ever) on them.

I remember a Nat.Geo. special on West African desert flora and fauna, which featured the little wonders. They would raise their little ass and tail up to the ocean breeze in the early morning, and capture dew on their body. It would collect enough to gravitate down to the head, which their handy tongue would quickly capture.

Truly an environmental wonder. :cool:

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
1. Take can of compressed air
2. Shake it up and invert it
3. Aim at spider and, poof, cryogenically frozen spider

Also works great on those annoying stink bugs that invade your house.

We did this at work years ago to this huge spider that decided to randomly wonder across the office floor. And what do you do with a frozen spider?.... You put it in your team leader's desk drawer of course :D

She wasn't overly impressed to say the least, considering it was quite active again by the time she opened her drawer :p

:apple:

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
This is a neat little New Zealand number. The Avondale Spider, also called the Huntsman. It's claim to fame was in being featured in Arachnophobia. We have about 50 different spiders in NZ but only a half dozen are poisonous. I like them and just live and let live as far as I am concerned.

KGB:cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Geckos are the cutest little buggers, aren't they?

I can't imagine ANYONE being upset with one being near-by or actually (if ever) on them.

I remember a Nat.Geo. special on West African desert flora and fauna, which featured the little wonders. They would raise their little ass and tail up to the ocean breeze in the early morning, and capture dew on their body. It would collect enough to gravitate down to the head, which their handy tongue would quickly capture.

Truly an environmental wonder. :cool:

I think I saw that special and yes, they are too cute! :) The ones I see are quite small, only 3" or so long. We leave our front porch light on have a little herd of creamy colored ones near by all the buzzing insects. I was shocked to read that this is an introduced species in the Houston/Galveston area. I don't know if that means accidentally or on purpose. I can imagine it either way.

hemtur210.jpg

When I lived on Guam, we had big fat geckos (in comparison) hanging out on the porch at night, but I thought I read that the tree snakes are eradicating them. :(

We did this at work years ago to this huge spider that decided to randomly wonder across the office floor. And what do you do with a frozen spider?.... You put it in your team leader's desk drawer of course :D

She wasn't overly impressed to say the least, considering it was quite active again by the time she opened her drawer :p

:apple:

Hilarious! One day when I was a student pilot, I came into the ready room and there was this cigar box and when I opened there was a large tarantula in it. A little bit of a shock although when I was a kid I had a wild animal pet book which included tarantulas. But I could never really warm up to the idea of having one as a pet.

Last edited:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Where do you live abouts? I know Wolf Spiders have a wide range from N/S America to Australia.

New York. I thought you meant you have geckos all over in the house. My mistake. I was like, Eeeesh wouldn't like that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a neat little New Zealand number. The Avondale Spider, also called the Huntsman. It's claim to fame was in being featured in Arachnophobia. We have about 50 different spiders in NZ but only a half dozen are poisonous. I like them and just live and let live as far as I am concerned.

It's Australia where everything skittering about is poisonous. ;)

New York. I thought you meant you have geckos all over in the house. My mistake. I was like, Eeeesh wouldn't like that.

I've never found a gecko inside, just the green anoles (sometimes incorrectly called camelions) which are all over the outside and sometimes get in.
:)

Carolina-Anole1.jpg

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
This is a New Zealand Jeweled Gecko, but I like our Native to NZ, Tuatara. It's our prehistoric throwback to the age of the Dinosaurs but in miniature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.