Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Here
So I've been unimpressed with the performance of handbrake. I'd been averaging 20ish FPS with every movie I'd convert. Last week I started looking around the internet for an older version of handbrake that might be happier to play with PowerPC. I went to (http://www.oldapps.com) and downloaded .90 which is from 2007. This week I've run six movies through HB and none of the have have converted at less the 70fps. During that time my RAID card came in and I've installed it, the movies are located and transcoded on that RAID array but I don't believe that is the only cause of the increase in speed. I believe that HB .90 is the reason for the increase far more than the RAID card w/array. This is just a headsup, I'd be curious to know if some of you gentlemen notice a difference if you try it.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, you were getting 20fps?! I'm running 9.1 and averaging between 4 and 9 fps! It's unbearable!

pistooli, will that 9.5 build work on 10.4.11?

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
lol, you have to mention what codec your using as saying i get 20fps is useless unless you state the compression type and settings..

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
mate, as per the other post, its a loosing battle with h.264 on ppc. even on my Quad, it took forever.
oh on hb.90, i know that HB does hardcode settings in some of its versions. So you may find that your getting a speed increase due to lower quality. have a close look at the exact setting your using for compression..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.