Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
smoothisfast
macrumors member

How do you know you are on LTE?

Just got my AT&T iPad. Is there a visual indication when I'm connected to LTE? It says 4G but that could mean HSPA+
smoothisfast is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

It will say LTE
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
It will say LTE
Doh!

Yes, THIS.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4
MacLifer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
It will say LTE
Will it only say this if you have bought a plan? Out of the box, mine shows 3 bars, the word Verizon and the wi-fi symbol.
MacLifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLifer View Post
Will it only say this if you have bought a plan? Out of the box, mine shows 3 bars, the word Verizon and the wi-fi symbol.
Turn off Wifi and see what it says then.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLifer View Post
Yes, you have to buy a plan. Plus, if you are on Wi-Fi, it will show the wi-fi symbol / signal whether or not you have a cell plan. I assume this is your first iOS device.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
MacLifer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones2 View Post
Yes, you have to buy a plan. Plus, if you are on Wi-Fi, it will show the wi-fi symbol / signal whether or not you have a cell plan. I assume this is your first iOS device.

Tony

Darn. It is my first xG iPad device, but it's early and my brain didn't put 2+2 together that it would act like my iPhone.
MacLifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:26 AM   #8
deeddawg
macrumors 603

Pardon a stupid question. Can someone confirm whether an AT&T iPad will say LTE if no data plan is active, or if it just says 4G?

I don't really need a data plan today so would rather not buy one to find out. Coverage maps says I should be in solid LTE yet am just seeing 4G indicator.

Thanks.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:27 AM   #9
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
Pardon a stupid question. Can someone confirm whether an AT&T iPad will say LTE if no data plan is active, or if it just says 4G?

I don't really need a data plan today so would rather not buy one to find out. Coverage maps says I should be in solid LTE yet am just seeing 4G indicator.

Thanks.
Yes, it will say LTE, and it is AWESOME!!!!

(sorry, I don't know whether it will say LTE if no data plan is active. I activated both my iPads so I can't say. But when active, it will say LTE if you are in an LTE area).
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
JimAtLaw
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks.
I am also in an area labeled LTE but only getting 4G.
Apple/Mac lover & occasional developer since 1994
JimAtLaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:04 AM   #11
trek360
macrumors regular

Quote:

Thanks.
Before I transferred my data plan to my new iPad, it just said 'searching' in the upper left corner. It only showed AT&T 4g after I activated the plan (no lte in my area). In the settings menu it will indicate its an AT&T device though with or wo a plan.
trek360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
deeddawg
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek360 View Post
Before I transferred my data plan to my new iPad, it just said 'searching' in the upper left corner. It only showed AT&T 4g after I activated the plan (no lte in my area). In the settings menu it will indicate its an AT&T device though with or wo a plan.
Thanks, without activating a dataplan, mine shows AT&T 4G with no delay or issues. I'm puzzled in that the coverage maps suggest I should be in a solid LTE area, and I am definitely in solid AT&T coverage usually with 4 or five bars. With the comments about needing to be provisioned for LTE, I was wondering if maybe it didn't show LTE until there was a dataplan.

Since mine didn't arrive until dinnertime last night I've not been out to see if I get different results elsewhere.

Yes it'd be as easy as signing up for a plan, but I don't really need one this month so figured I'd ask. (and no, I don't particularly trust what AT&T reps would say else I'd have called them)
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:08 PM   #13
trek360
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks, without activating a dataplan, mine shows AT&T 4G with no delay or issues. I'm puzzled in that the coverage maps suggest I should be in a solid LTE area, and I am definitely in solid AT&T coverage usually with 4 or five bars. With the comments about needing to be provisioned for LTE, I was wondering if maybe it didn't show LTE until there was a dataplan.

Since mine didn't arrive until dinnertime last night I've not been out to see if I get different results elsewhere.

Yes it'd be as easy as signing up for a plan, but I don't really need one this month so figured I'd ask. (and no, I don't particularly trust what AT&T reps would say else I'd have called them)
Well I looked at my old iPad currently without a data plan and it says AT&T 4g. Mine may have initially said searching because it wasn't configured or something.

It's a good question. Let me know if you find out. Maybe some friends in your area or another known lte area can help out. Either way I think it's safe to say that AT&T lte is still in its early stages.
trek360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Starfyre
macrumors 65816

I am on Verizon, I just turned off my Wifi and it says "3G", does that mean... LTE is not in my area? O_O?
Starfyre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

This happened to me and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.
I got the AT&T one and it never showed LTE even thought it is supported in my areas.

As soon as I bought the data plan, the LTE lit up and I get full speeds.
Zimmy68 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Starfyre
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy68 View Post
This happened to me and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.
I got the AT&T one and it never showed LTE even thought it is supported in my areas.

As soon as I bought the data plan, the LTE lit up and I get full speeds.
Did it say 3G or something else before you bought data plan?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfyre View Post
I am on Verizon, I just turned off my Wifi and it says "3G", does that mean... LTE is not in my area? O_O?
That means you are not getting an LTE signal, or could mean you are not signed up for a LTE data plan.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Starfyre
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
That means you are not getting an LTE signal, or could men you are not signed up for a LTE data plan.
I am not signed up for an LTE data plan, or any data plan at all. I want to know if there is some way to know for certain without looking at a picture of a map that i have LTE available before plunging the money for a data plan. I do not want to buy a data plan without knowing for certain and get 3G speeds. I will have to switch ATT if this is the case. Seeing 3G next to the Verizon text on the indicator concerns me a bit.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:23 PM   #19
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
I am not signed up for an LTE data plan, or any data plan at all. I want to know if there is some way to know for certain without looking at a picture of a map that i have LTE available before plunging the money for a data plan. I do not want to buy a data plan without knowing for certain and get 3G speeds. I will have to switch ATT if this is the case. Seeing 3G next to the Verizon text on the indicator concerns me a bit.
If you are not signed up (AT&T or Verizon), you will not see the LTE network, and your iPad will not say LTE.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did it say 3G or something else before you bought data plan?
It had a consistent 4G like my iPhone 4s.
I turned on and off cellular and LTE and it always showed 4g until I actually purchased.
Zimmy68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:19 PM   #21
miamialley
macrumors 68020

I'm confused about this, too. I haven't started my cellular account yet and only get a 3G indicator on my iPad 3. This, even though I'm in a 4G LTE area.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:23 PM   #22
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
I'm confused about this, too. I haven't started my cellular account yet and only get a 3G indicator on my iPad 3. This, even though I'm in a 4G LTE area.
You don't get LTE until you sign up.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:37 PM   #23
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
My Verizon iPad said "3G" until I purchased the data plan, at which point the LTE indicator turned on.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:38 PM   #24
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why don't you want to look at a map?
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:47 PM   #25
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

You'll know you're on LTE when the network is twice as fast as the usual wifi.
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad