Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1
brave5213
macrumors regular

How to install Lion on a new hard drive?

I just ordered a ssd and I'm planning to swap the old one. My question is, how can I install lion to that new hard drive? I can install to a old hard drive but this one will be new for me. Where should I start? What should I do?

Thanks a lot for help.
brave5213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

If you have a recovery partition, you could create a Lion installer on a USB flash memory thumb drive or other HDD:
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Since I don't know, what Mac you have, this is the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion sub-forum, maybe this guide can't help at all, if you don't want to clone your HDD to an SSD (which is not recommended anyway, a Clean Install is recommended when getting an SSD):
MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

How to format a new HDD to install Mac OS X onto (or make a bootable copy onto)
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
brave5213
macrumors regular

hello,

i have a mbp with lion installed. when i get the new ssd, i want to install a fresh copy of lion. i don't want to install from a time machine backup or something else.

what is the first thing that i need to do after i plug the new ssd? what kind of screen will i see on first boot up? can i use lion internet recovery?

thanks.
brave5213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave5213 View Post
hello,

i have a mbp with lion installed. when i get the new ssd, i want to install a fresh copy of lion. i don't want to install from a time machine backup or something else.

what is the first thing that i need to do after i plug the new ssd? what kind of screen will i see on first boot up? can i use lion internet recovery?

thanks.
you should be able to swap the ssd and hard drive, on the first boot you hold command R during the CHime sound and internet recovery should launch

did you purchase Lion or was it pre-installed??

if you purchased it i would from your current hard drive go back to hte MAS and re-download Lion from the purchased tab and than make a bootable copy of lion on a usb or dvd so you always have it to do clean installs.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:57 AM   #5
ehhdeerow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
you should be able to swap the ssd and hard drive, on the first boot you hold command R during the CHime sound and internet recovery should launch

did you purchase Lion or was it pre-installed??

if you purchased it i would from your current hard drive go back to hte MAS and re-download Lion from the purchased tab and than make a bootable copy of lion on a usb or dvd so you always have it to do clean installs.
what if lion was pre installed?
ehhdeerow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhdeerow View Post
what if lion was pre installed?
than you could make a usb recovery partition

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

if you don't have a working hard drive with lion anymore you might have to make it at a friends house
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Takuro
macrumors 6502

If your Mac came with Lion preinstalled, you should be able to download it again at any time directly from the Mac App Store. The app has an embedded "dmg" image that can be burnt to a DVD. Here are the steps:

1) Hold down the option key while launching the Mac App Store, select the "purchased" tab, and and then download the Lion installer app.
2) Right-click on the installer app, and hit "Show Package Contents". Navigate to Contents > SharedSupport and look for a file called "InstallESD.dmg".
3) Open up Disk Utility and drag the DMG file into the left-hand sidebar. Insert a DVD, select the disk image in the sidebar, and hit the "Burn" button.

References:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/02/re-do...rom-app-store/
http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to...or-flash-drive

Last edited by Takuro; Mar 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Takuro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #8
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

First of all, this is the Mountain Lion forum.

Second, if your mac came with Lion Pre-installed, it's likely it can do Internet recovery.

Have a look here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ and here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
CyBeRino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:20 PM   #9
brangates
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takuro View Post
If your Mac came with Lion preinstalled, you should be able to download it again at any time directly from the Mac App Store. The app has an embedded "dmg" image that can be burnt to a DVD. Here are the steps:

1) Hold down the option key while launching the Mac App Store, select the "purchased" tab, and and then download the Lion installer app.
2) Right-click on the installer app, and hit "Show Package Contents". Navigate to Contents > SharedSupport and look for a file called "InstallESD.dmg".
3) Open up Disk Utility and drag the DMG file into the left-hand sidebar. Insert a DVD, select the disk image in the sidebar, and hit the "Burn" button.

References:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/02/re-do...rom-app-store/
http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to...or-flash-drive
will this be a bootable DVD?, and in theory could i do the same thing with a USB thumb drive.
brangates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:27 PM   #10
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by brangates View Post
will this be a bootable DVD?, and in theory could i do the same thing with a USB thumb drive.
yes a 8GB will work using those guides to make a bootable USB drive

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion