Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prim Disco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
If you had a choice would you rather buy a MacBook that had a touchscreen instead of a tactile keyboard (dual screen) or would you prefer to buy the MacBook as it is configured today (single screen)?

I've been wondering why Apple hasn't brought out a dual screen laptop. Any thoughts?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
If you had a choice would you rather buy a MacBook that had a touchscreen instead of a tactile keyboard (dual screen) or would you prefer to buy the MacBook as it is configured today (single screen)?

I've been wondering why Apple hasn't brought out a dual screen laptop. Any thoughts?

because people use a MBP to get actual work done, unlike those that use an iPad/iPhone/iTouch.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I would never want to use a touch screen for a keyboard when the alternative is a real keyboard.

Prim Disco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I would never want to use a touch screen for a keyboard when the alternative is a real keyboard.

What's the benefit of using a physical keyboard instead of using a touch screen?

----------

because people use a MBP to get actual work done, unlike those that use an iPad/iPhone/iTouch.

Are you suggesting that a physical keyboard is easier to use than a touch screen?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not being facetious I'm asking you a genuine question.

You can't feel the keys, so you have to be looking at the keyboard all the time. This makes typing a lot slower and prevents touch-typing (and hence, splits your attention if you are simply typing up a physical document).

Prim Disco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
You can't feel the keys, so you have to be looking at the keyboard all the time. This makes typing a lot slower and prevents touch-typing (and hence, splits your attention if you are simply typing up a physical document).

Do you think this is because people are more 'used' to getting physical feedback? If a touchscreen keyboard had been introduced to a user before a physical keyboard had been introduced to them do you think that people might prefer using a touchscreen because of its versatility? For instance, If I were using Apple Logic Pro I could pull up a virtual mixing desk and use my fingers to change levels (rather than a mouse pointer) which it could be argued is a more natural way of interfacing with the software.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Because that would be both pointless and stupid. How the hell would you touch type without actually feeling keys? Add to the fact that power consumption would increase, as well as heat production, it's never going to happen.

Edit: Acidfast7, what's an iTouch? Never heard of it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Because touch typing.

Do you think this is because people are more 'used' to getting physical feedback? If a touchscreen keyboard had been introduced to a user before a physical keyboard had been introduced to them do you think that people might prefer using a touchscreen because of its versatility?
No telling so it seems academic to me. I suspect I'd still prefer my Model M keyboard even if I had grown up with virtual keyboards. Preference plays a large part as well. Consider that people don't even all agree on which physical keyboard is best.

For instance, If I were using Apple Logic Pro I could pull up a virtual mixing desk and use my fingers to change levels (rather than a mouse pointer) which it could be argued is a more natural way of interfacing with the software.
You're confusing your preference with natural.

Additionally, using a mouse versus a touch screen is completely different than using a physical versus virtual keyboard. If you don't know how to type at all the difference between physical and virtual may be negligible.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Also for those that can touch type (I am not one) but the home key designators are there so that they can easily reposition their hands if they become off without looking at the keyboard. This could not be duplicated on a virtual keyboard, so touch typists would be forced to look at the keyboard more often. Even with haptic feedback, I still prefer the mechanical feedback of a keyboard.

antseg

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
New Jersey
I've become quite good at using a touch keyboard from experience, but I would never want my laptop to have anything other than a real keyboard. I do too much serious/keyboard-intensive work for a touchpad to be feasible.

The iPad is a nice toy and a great device for smaller tasks, but I need my laptop to be able to do real work.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have enough trouble just using certain other keyboards. Going to a touchscreen would be that much worse.

*Looks at join date of OP* :rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You mean like this?

Razer-Blade-Gaming-Laptop.jpg

No thanks.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I can't picture anyone seriously trying to type a lot on a touchscreen keyboard. The only way I could see typing like that would be to constantly look at the keyboard screen and display. With a real keyboard you can keep typing without looking at the screen like I am doing now, watching what else is happening.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Except those are actual keys on the picture you posted.

Well, nothing like what they OP was talking about actually exists, so I was going for the closest I could get. Regardless, the concept is similar enough to see that it's not really that great of an idea.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
It's called "Tactile Feedback" (although on a good day I can type with 7 or 8 fingers on my iPad without looking at the screen).

Using your example, Prim Disco...I can control a StudioLive 24 channel mixing board from my iPad but it doesn't feel the same as physically operating a Midas console in a club.

Can you, blindfolded and by touch alone, determine which EQ knob is three channels to the right and two knobs north of your hand's present position, when you are touching a flat panel of glass? I cannot. Nor can I successfully move to a different Pro Tools fader via the iPad without looking down at the device.

This is also why I can't get into certain types of games for iPad. I need buttons mang.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Well, nothing like what they OP was talking about actually exists, so I was going for the closest I could get. Regardless, the concept is similar enough to see that it's not really that great of an idea.

Wrong, it does exist in real life (actually saw it for sale in a Circuit City ad one day and was intrigued). The toshiba Libretto is one such example.

Attachments

• imgp1052.jpg
    imgp1052.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 488

Jimbogiant

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008

Check this out:

acer_iconia6120_dualscreen_touchbook_now_available_for_preorder_1.jpg

Acer-Iconia-6120-Touchbook-virtual-keyboard.jpg

I played with one of these at Micro Center, it's neat but it is tough to touch type... probably not ready for prime time. The bottom portion is context sensitive, here's the Amazon site w/ info: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-ICONIA-6120-14-inch-Tablet/dp/B004P0WLEY

----------

Wrong, it does exist in real life (actually saw it for sale in a Circuit City ad one day and was intrigued). The toshiba Libretto is one such example.

Darn, beat me by 1 minute! :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Darn, beat me by 1 minute! :)

Wow, I am old and type slowly, so this is a first where I actually beat someone to a post!!! Yeah ME!!!

I also thought Acer made one, but couldn't find it on their site (and have never seen one in person, nor have I seen the Toshiba in person). I just think it is an idea not ready for prime time. The Toshiba went on sale in the US in August 2010, and judging by the number out there and availability, I would think that most people feel the way that we do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.