Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Angry Birds Space Launches on iOS and Mac

Angry Birds Space, the latest installment of the best selling mobile game of all time, has finally arrived. Rovio, the developer behind the series, partnered with NASA, the U.S. space agency, to promote the release, including a plug filmed by an Angry Bird-toting astronaut on the International Space Station.

Angry Birds Space delivers the biggest change yet in the series' well-known "launch birds out of a slingshot at pigs" gameplay. Instead of dealing with the gravity of just one planet, players are dealing with several. Kotaku explains:
Quote:
Yes, you still play level by level. You still have a set number of birds--birds of different types--that you'll slingshot at towers of blocks, hoping to squash some pigs.

But now you're shooting your birds through space, from one planet to the next. Each planet has a gravitational field. Gone is the simplicity of just lobbing a bird in an arc. No. Welcome to the physics of the heavenly bodies. Shoot a bird into open space and it'll fly off in a straight line. Shoot one toward another planet and it'll get caught in its gravitational field and start orbiting the planet... or slowly descend as it encircles the planet to smash into the ground.
Angry Birds Space is $0.99 on iPhone and iPod Touch. [Direct Link]
Angry Birds Space HD is $2.99 on the iPad. [Direct Link]
Angry Birds Space is $4.99 on the Mac. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Angry Birds Space Launches on iOS and Mac
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Feed Me
Banned

Am I the only person left on Earth that thinks that Angry Birds is a mediocre game at best? It's really not that entertaining.
Feed Me is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
DerfBWH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashy View Post
Am I the only person left on Earth that thinks that Angry Birds is a mediocre game at best? It's really not that entertaining.
Yes. Angry Birds is probably the most fun I've had with a game since the N64 days.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
bushido
macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted

i have all 4 editions yet im to dumb to finish any of them. im the worst at this game
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Wang Foolio
macrumors regular

I played a bit on a friend's phone and can't figure it out... but at least it looks more enjoyable than that Fruit Ninja game that my old roommate and his girlfriend/fiance used to play for HOURS at a time. It was so weird how they'd just sit on the couch and swipe their fingers at airborne fruit for literally an entire evening...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
djrod
macrumors 6502a

These guys are getting greedy, no Universal App, you have to pay an extra .99 to play the full levels available in the game and you have to pay even more if you want to play with the mighty eagle, up to 19.99 !
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

this may make me try angry birds again. it got boring after a few weeks.
SBlue1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:52 PM   #8
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
These guys are getting greedy, no Universal App, you have to pay an extra .99 to play the full levels available in the game and you have to pay even more if you want to play with the mighty eagle, up to 19.99 !
Greedy? You've got to be kidding! Would you spend thousands of hours developing a game for free? I don't think so.
JHankwitz is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

This one is pretty good. I've been playing it a lot this morning. I had gotten out of the other 3 versions (I have them all), but this one is very refreshing. Adds a lot of new complex gameplay
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:04 PM   #10
ivladster
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
Great strategy. Releasing on all available platforms.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Jayderek
macrumors member

Quote:
dear god, people are SO ridiculous entitled nowadays.
Jayderek is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
ivladster
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Greedy? You've got to be kidding! Would you spend thousands of hours developing a game for free? I don't think so.
Universal app takes a lot of space. Especially with Retina display. You rather pay $4.99 for Universal app or $0.99 for iPhone app and $2.99 for iPad?

Plus your games are not synced across devices, levels you passes on iPhone are still closed on iPad. So there's no real advantage of Universal app.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:07 PM   #13
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

I'm all Angry Birded out.
HarryKeogh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:08 PM   #14
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Oh well, yeah, god forbid that anyone should ever develop a product and actually make money from it. We who spend $1100 minimum for a mac and $499 minimum for a iPad are going to quibble over 99 cents? Please.
wgnoyes is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:29 PM   #15
MJedi
macrumors 6502

So which version should I get, for iPad or iPhone?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:33 PM   #16
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgnoyes View Post
Oh well, yeah, god forbid that anyone should ever develop a product and actually make money from it. We who spend $1100 minimum for a mac and $499 minimum for a iPad are going to quibble over 99 cents? Please.
My obligatory link to a The Oatmeal comic:
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Last edited by GenesisST; Mar 22, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
GenesisST is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #17
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm whether or not the iPad version has retina display resolution?

I only have the first Angry Birds for my iPad and I hope that they don't hold out too long (or indefinitely) on upgrading that one.

Also -- the one star reviews in the App Store for this app over the fact that there's an option to pay $1 for extra levels in a $3 game are incredibly charming.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Haven't bought a game in a few months - for 99 cents what the heck.
Diode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:48 PM   #19
FrizzleFryBen
macrumors 6502

Only at 1-9 now. This game was done right! It's amazingly fun for geeks!
FrizzleFryBen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You're right. Nowadays, most of the major games are being released as an universal app, so I don't see a single rational reason why Rovio couldn't do the same with the Angry Birds. Greed is the only possible explanation.
Just think about it: It is by far the best-selling iOS game or maybe the best-selling iOS app whatsoever. iPad version is basically just upscaled from iPhone. It's the same friggin' game for Christ sakes! Then why on earth does the iPad version cost three times more than the iPhone app!? Why is it not universal? It *IS* technically possible. All those "HD" versions are pissing me off BIG time.

I really hope Apple will issue some kind of regulation against this kind of crooked business manners which will prevent developers from releasing two separate versions and which will force them to universalize their apps.
Charging the customer twice for a one thing is *NOT* cool.

Last edited by Colpeas; Mar 22, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Colpeas is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:12 PM   #21
tacoshell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Wirelessly posted

i have all 4 editions yet im to dumb to finish any of them. im the worst at this game
I have two boards with 2 stars on Seasons and it is driving me insane. Original is complete, haven't tried Rio though (assume that is the other edition you are referring to). As to Space, it has done some really interesting things with the concept, and definitely worth the buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivladster View Post
Universal app takes a lot of space. Especially with Retina display. You rather pay $4.99 for Universal app or $0.99 for iPhone app and $2.99 for iPad?

Plus your games are not synced across devices, levels you passes on iPhone are still closed on iPad. So there's no real advantage of Universal app.
Might be different now, but for the first Angry birds, the 'iPad' version was identical to the iPhone version, the only difference was a flag in the .plist to tell it to NOT run full screen.
Either way, I have to agree that complaining about the price/value of Angry Birds is kinda ridiculous.
tacoshell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Lukeyy19
macrumors 6502a

anyone know if the iPad version is optimised for the new iPad's display? I can't seem to find whether or not it is on the app store.

I'm thinking of getting it but if it's not optimised, i might just wait until it is and play through it then.

EDIT: found a couple of reviews that said it was, so I downloaded it and yep it looks awesome on the 3rd gen iPad for anyone else interested.

EDIT 2: so after a while of playing, as nice as it looks, a few levels use enlarged versions of the same images for things such as larger plants and bubbles, and these when enlarged are not optimised for the new iPads higher resolution.

look at the bubbles around the pigs on this level.
Thumb resize.

it doesn't really detract from the game, it's just something i noticed.
TV

Last edited by Lukeyy19; Mar 22, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Lukeyy19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:44 PM   #23
dot.ducky
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpeas View Post
I really hope Apple will issue some kind of regulation against this kind of crooked business manners which will prevent developers from releasing two separate versions and which will force them to universalize their apps.
Charging the customer twice for a one thing is *NOT* cool.
I was with you until here. I disagree. It's like saying, "I hope the government makes it illegal for Apple to sell more than one type of mac. They all do the same basic things, so why are they being crooked and selling multiples that do some things better than the others?"
dot.ducky is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:53 PM   #24
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Bought the game for my iPhone and iPad. Best Angry Birds to date IMO.
adztaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
I'm all Angry Birded out.
Ditto ... Was addicted to it for a while .... Can't even be bothered to finish the latest 'Original', 'Rio' or 'Season' levels..
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion