Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that some iPad Smart Covers aren't working properly with the new iPad, including older Apple Smart Covers. The new iPad has a slight change in how its magnets work. Apple has reversed the polarity of one set of magnets related to the sleep/wake sensor that turns the iPad off when the Smart Cover is closed. As a result, older Smart Covers, that weren't designed with this change in mind, fail to turn the new iPad off when they're closed.

smartcover.jpg

Mark Booth has more details as to why Apple choose to make the change:
I've learned why Apple decided to use a polarity sensitive switch in the new iPad 3. Some iPad 2 customers were having issues with their iPads entering sleep mode when they flipped Apple's Smart Cover around flat behind their iPad 2. Since the iPad 2's sleep/wake sensor wasn't polarity specific, it could sometimes be triggered from the magnet being positioned at the rear of the iPad. By changing to a sensor that requires the correct polarity, the problem is eliminated.
Booth also notes that Apple is replacing older Apple Smart Covers at Apple Stores for customers who ask. New iPad owners having difficulties with third-party smart cover-compatible cases should contact their case-makers for possible resolutions.

Article Link: Some Smart Covers Not Working Properly on New iPad

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Bought my smart cover at Radio Shack while waiting for my new iPad to arrive. It works fine. Wonder when Apple made changes to the smart over in anticipation...?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
It's annoying. My Yoobao Leather Smart Cover that I had on my iPad 2 fits perfectly but it no longer turns on/off the screen. I hoping the new ones are released soon.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
Mine Works

Why do some iPad/SmartCover combinations not work? Aren't they all the same? I have the Product (RED) SmartCover (for a few months now) and it works perfect with my new iPad.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

It appears that some iPad Smart Covers aren't working properly with the new iPad, including older Apple Smart Covers. The new iPad has a slight change in how its magnets work. Apple has reversed the polarity of one set of magnets related to the sleep/wake sensor that turns the iPad off when the Smart Cover is closed. As a result, older Smart Covers, that weren't designed with this change in mind, fail to turn the new iPad off when they're closed.

Mark Booth has more details as to why Apple choose to make the change:
Booth also notes that Apple is replacing older Apple Smart Covers at Apple Stores for customers who ask. New iPad owners having difficulties with third-party smart cover-compatible cases should contact their case-makers for possible resolutions.

Article Link: Some Smart Covers Not Working Properly on New iPad

yeahh mine only wakes about %80 of the time when i open it

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
First the thing overheats then it won't charge properly and now smart covers don't work.

This wouldn't be happening under Steve's watch.

Coastercub

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Dang...well I'm going to get a black leather one today.

Is it smart to take my iPad in and see if it works?

I'm assuming if it works it works...in saying that I mean I don't think it will stop working over time?

pricklypeet

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Coastercub said:
I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

Same here. My smart cover was purchased last year when the ipad2 first came out and it works perfectly fine with the new iPad.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.

dpmbeliever

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
New York, New York
2 smart covers....

I have a Product Red smart cover that I bought at the iPad 2 launch which does not work with my new iPad. However, I also have a light grey smart cover that I bought about 4 months ago and it works perfectly. So, I'm assuming Apple made the change sometime during the summer or fall of 2011. I don't use the "smart" function any way so I'm not returning/exchanging the red one or anything like that. I only tested them both a few minutes ago due to this news. I guess I prefer my covers not to be so intelligent ;-)

CupertinoRat

macrumors member
May 27, 2011
My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
I don't want to jinx myself but I have not had amy problems with my "New iPad".
It charges fine over night. It gets warm while playing Sky Gamblers.
The smart cover that I bought with my iPad 2 works fine.

Bring on the next problem.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I'm sure some idiots will still say Apple is evil for making improvements to prevent third-party magnet covers from functioning correctly.:rolleyes:

terrywfoster

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
I have a grey vinyl one from when the iPad 2 came out that does not work correctly.

I have a black leather one from when Apple changed the colors and that one works correctly.

Maybe the change happened with the release of the cover color changes?

dpmbeliever

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
New York, New York
I dropped my iPad 2 about 6 months ago on my hardwood floor from a standing position, so it probably fell 5 to 5 1/2 feet.... NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH ON IT!!! However, there was a huge gash in the wooden floor! I haven't dropped my new iPad (knock on wood) so I can't compare the durability, but I can say I was extremely surprised and pleased that the iPad 2 came away unscathed from that drop!

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Poo

No worries on mine. Heat not an issue, Charging just fine, and all my smart covers work a charm. Feel bad for others...not.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I bought a 3rd party smart cover and it does not put to sleep or wake my iPad 3. I originally thought, that I was a sucker and never should have bought a 3rd party cover but now reading this I wonder if this is the reason.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.

I have to admit, my reaction was the same. I just assumed it would snap onto the back when you opened it, but no. No huge issue, I didn't return it, but it would be nicer with that detail, IMO.

Also would have been handy if they put magnets along the bottom so you could use the Smart Cover as a stand in portrait mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.