Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Now I want a yellow smart cover -- or something close enough to it.

I read the Anandtech review of the new iPad last night, and their main picture on the first page of the review shows what looks like a yellow smart cover, but is probably a brightly-lit [discontinued] orange cover. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/a...ad-2012-review

So now I want a yellow cover, but Apple obviously doesn't make them. I might even consider buying a generic one off of eBay if I saw one and knew that it wasn't going to be too disappointing in quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything? I'm not so interested in anything yellow that also has a back cover. I'm seeing enough options like that on Amazon and they aren't too appealing to me.

Should I just keep an eye out for a second-hand orange cover and hope that it well-enough satiates my want for yellow anytime I happen to shine a bright light directly on it? I'm thinking that might be the way to go, but I wanted to know if anyone else here knew of any extra options.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
elmo151

try google
+"new iPad" + cover +yellow
elmo151 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

It looks orange to me.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:36 PM   #4
neweipadfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
I read the Anandtech review of the new iPad last night, and their main picture on the first page of the review shows what looks like a yellow smart cover, but is probably a brightly-lit [discontinued] orange cover. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/a...ad-2012-review

So now I want a yellow cover, but Apple obviously doesn't make them. I might even consider buying a generic one off of eBay if I saw one and knew that it wasn't going to be too disappointing in quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of anything? I'm not so interested in anything yellow that also has a back cover. I'm seeing enough options like that on Amazon and they aren't too appealing to me.

Should I just keep an eye out for a second-hand orange cover and hope that it well-enough satiates my want for yellow anytime I happen to shine a bright light directly on it? I'm thinking that might be the way to go, but I wanted to know if anyone else here knew of any extra options.

Thanks!
this is close
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YBEXIPAD3Yellow.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	333023  
neweipadfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips. I was looking at Yoobao cases the other day, so maybe at some point I'll settle with that one.

And I still say that the pictured cover in that Anandtech review totally passes for yellow. Viewed both on my MacBook and new iPad screens. I think I'll try to track down an authentic orange cover.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
vjacques
macrumors member

Anandtech "doctored" all their review pictures quite a bit. i wonder why. didn't want to admit to the yellow tint on his unit perhaps. it's quite ironic that smart cover turned out to be yellow
vjacques is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacques View Post
Anandtech "doctored" all their review pictures quite a bit. i wonder why. didn't want to admit to the yellow tint on his unit perhaps. it's quite ironic that smart cover turned out to be yellow
Okay, thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:53 PM   #8
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

try www.sw-box.com or www.dpgate.com

both are in Hong Kong so the items will take about 2 weeks to get to you, but the prices are great and the quality is pretty good. I've ordered numerous cases, charging cables, docks etc... from both and never had any issues.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
try www.sw-box.com or www.dpgate.com

both are in Hong Kong so the items will take about 2 weeks to get to you, but the prices are great and the quality is pretty good. I've ordered numerous cases, charging cables, docks etc... from both and never had any issues.
Wow, I really like a lot of the cases on the sw-box site. Still no satisfactory yellow from what I can see though (I really think an orange one is going to have to fill this particular materialistic void). But I really think that I want to order one of the wood cases and maybe the red crocodile skin hard case. Thanks so much for bringing these up!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
SweetDove
macrumors regular

I wonder if it's possible to buy a white cover, and dye it? I don't think it'd work on hard plastic, but anything that is cloth like. Has anyone tried this?

I'm assuming you don't want a skin.
SweetDove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity, I did a search. This also looks pretty cool:

http://www.case2case.net/the-new-ipa...er-yellow.html

Links to yellow case images:
http://www.google.com/search?q=yello...iw=981&bih=603
laurenr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #12
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

I actually found this, which I think I would prefer if I went with a slip case instead of a cover: http://www.cases.com/products/Piel-F...-new-iPad.html Which, humorously, looks more orange to me than yellow.

It's a little designer-bag-ish, (and I'm a guy who doesn't carry around designer bags), but I still like it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #13
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
It looks orange to me.
I agree. Not yellow at all. It's not bright enough.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:13 PM   #14
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
I actually found this, which I think I would prefer if I went with a slip case instead of a cover: http://www.cases.com/products/Piel-F...-new-iPad.html Which, humorously, looks more orange to me than yellow.

It's a little designer-bag-ish, (and I'm a guy who doesn't carry around designer bags), but I still like it.
The problem with that bag is that once you take it out, the iPad is naked, with no protection.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:17 PM   #15
mofunk
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenr View Post
The problem with that bag is that once you take it out, the iPad is naked, with no protection.

You're right. I'm using a Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve. When I take my iPad out of the bag, I do like I do with my MBP... I put the iPad on top of the sleeve. When its not on the table, its held in my hands.
mofunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:50 PM   #16
alba-ny
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDove View Post
I wonder if it's possible to buy a white cover, and dye it? I don't think it'd work on hard plastic, but anything that is cloth like. Has anyone tried this?

I'm assuming you don't want a skin.
I dyed a cream coloured leather smart cover to magenta. Yellow would perhaps be a trickier colour to get right?
alba-ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:50 PM   #17
laurenr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydq View Post
laurenr, the yellow one seems great.
Which yellow case? My preference is for the Yoobao. I love the stable viewing angles and the style of the case.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:10 PM   #18
vjacques
macrumors member

http://www.skechit.com/en/shop/new-i...tem/flipper-16

vjacques is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:57 AM   #19
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Not a single picture on this thread is yellow. Have a case made by vaja.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a

How about this one for yellow?

http://www.carrymobile.com/apple/app...tion-3397.html

I actually came pretty darn close to ordering this one but held off. Would love to have someone pull the trigger and review. I've purchased way too many iPad cases.

It is on the more pricey side at $98. You just either need to hit the buy button or go back to see the price and the rest of the colors. Another poster on the forums highly recommends this case and has had it for his iPad 2. I would love to see someone purchase one of these and review it with real life photos.

Last edited by OllyW; May 24, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: clean up
Nhwhazup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories