Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I've been experiencing a problem with the palmrest of my 2011 unibody Macbook Pro and was wondering if anyone had advice on keeping it clean. On the left palm-rest I've noticed that there's subtle accumulation of dirt being transferred from my hand to the aluminum unibody. My hands are generally clean when using the laptop, but I'm sure there are times when there's some dirt that's coming off since I use the device 8-10 hours a day. Right now it's very tiny dark spots ... but I can imagine over time it may become more visible.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean this without scratching the unibody? Just rubbing with water doesn't seem to be sufficient to clean the surface, but there's also no apparent texture to the small specks.

Any advice?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
iKlear is a great product in my opinion but I always put on a Best Skins Ever palm rest guard. There are others, but I like the clear. I also use that because I wear a watch.

faxoli

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
my friend had the same problem put to a worst degree. the oils from you skin are oxidizing the metal. He told me to put a stickers where you rest your hand

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
my friend had the same problem put to a worst degree. the oils from you skin are oxidizing the metal. He told me to put a stickers where you rest your hand

That would explain why the right edge of my MBP has several little pits that look like it's been scratched by something thin (even though I can't see how that would be the case). It's a little shame but oh we'll...

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
TwelveSouth SurfacePad will hide it, but I agree with the others, looks normal for some users. Liken it to how some folks can wear silver jewelry with no issue yet others (like me) turn it almost instantly green/black. First thing I have to buy for mine is some kind of palm guard.

Elevon

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
As many has mentioned, this is permanent due to the sweat from your palms reacting with the unibody surface... there isn't much to do tbh...

I would recommend a moshi palm guard to just cover up the flaw and prevent anything worser.

I get this problem too, but only with the magic mouse. :confused:

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Any idea if Apple would repair it under AppleCare, or is it normal wear & tear?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.