Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I saw someone post this news article from the beginning of May: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000790042949/.

Now I know that many of you have probably already seen that but it suddenly caught my attention again. Apple have been going on about this big 'media event' and all of the media is supposed to have been getting ready for a huge announcement. Now we've all been hoping that it'd be a mac mini upgrade or a ibook upgrade etc. But come on, that's not really world-media kind of stuff. The iPods have got a huge market share and should they be releasing a video iPod then yeah a big media event could happen just for its release. However, the iPod line got a big revamp last Tuesday. So its not gonna be about iPods.

What new product that could really boost the Apple line, draw in people who like the design and simpicity of Apple hardware, be something that could get sold around the place nearly as much as ipods and basically hasn't been done yet by Apple?? The long rumoured Tablet Mac of course!! Think about it, its not a huge product step away from the iPod. People don't think of tablet pcs as being pcs as much as cool tools for taking notes and making presentations. Just like they don't think of ipods as hard drive media storage devices and only as music players. iPods are cool and iTablets will be cooler.

Hell, I'd go and buy one the day they came out (wallet depths considered and checked first of course).

What do you all think? Possible release? The media event will take place pretty much bang on two months after the patent news was released. Companies often only get patents for devices very late in the day to stop rumour machines rolling and rival companies stealing ideas or bringing down the prices of their competition.

Food for thought.

Phil

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-man says....I think everyone is pretty much expecting that it is the iTunes capable phone, what with the "evidence" in iTunes 4.9.....oh yeah!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Yeah I guess it could be the iTunes phone but that really doesn't seem that big a deal to me - not really 'big event' wothy'. I don't see myself in a rush to go out and get yet another phone that'll have to be replaced in a year's time because its real old hack.

MikeJett86

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2005
Dallas, Tx
I think they'll take the time to unveil a few things. the phone, mini revisions, ipod mini revisions possibly and to show off the new ipods. Or it might be a launch for the new ad campaign that's been talked about here and there. Or all of the above. Personally, I would love to see all of the above. Maybe unveiling "numbers" or whatever, the spreadsheet app to go with iwork.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
new ipod mini too soon, i'd love to see video ipods( just think it could work,i'd buy one if the price is right) and iPhone

OryHara

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2004
San Bruno, CA
zap2 said:
new ipod mini too soon, i'd love to see video ipods( just think it could work,i'd buy one if the price is right) and iPhone

i doubt they'd come out with video ipods so soon after another ipod update.

MikeJett86

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2005
Dallas, Tx
Hasn't Jobs come out and said they won't do a video ipod?

just a thought.
I don't think the market is right for a video ipod just yet.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
OryHara said:
i doubt they'd come out with video ipods so soon after another ipod update.

Unless they simplified the lineup so that they could stick to four ipod lines. Shuffle, Mini, 4g, Photo -> Shuffle, Mini, 5g, Video. Is the 'new' iPod being called a 5g btw??

I think the video iPods is still a highly unlikely option since there really isn't enough demand for them and watching video on the go is overated. If people really wanted to watch a video whilst out and about then they could just use a laptop with a larger screen, better image quality and depending on the laptop, better battery life. A tablet mac on the other hand would have quite a bit of demand if Apple threw all of their marketing into it. I'd love a tablet mac for lectures. They could really market them at students. They'd sell like mad imo!! Add bluetooth so that they're ready for wireless apple keyboards and mice and you're laughing.

MikeJett86

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2005
Dallas, Tx
the bt tablet is actually a pretty good idea. Just plop it on a stand when you get back to your dorm room/office/house all turned back to just the screen and bam.

here's a wild idea, what about g5 powerbooks. The could still pop them out before "THE BIG SWITCH" ... maybe ... but that's just an idea-

i guess all we can really do is sit back and wait for the event.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Kind of getting tired of this iPod you-know-what. Jobs needs to release something soon that is eye-opening, something that is gonna make me contemplate buying even if I don't necessarily need it. Everything emanating from Cupertino has gotten a wee bit stale since 10.4 - hopefully not unlike the calm before the storm.

Read some articles way back about 802.15.3 which is a short distance major broadband signal that would allow one to view/play video from a wireless device (read: tablet?).

Seems like things have gotten awfully quiet of late. One usually sees Tuesday updates that'll hum for a few weeks, get everyone going, etc.

Still, based on the buyer's guide I'm dead-wrong in my assessment.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
As someone mentioned G5 Powerbooks, I'm gonna say dual core Power Macs. It would be a huge announcement and would fulfill Jobs' promise of future PowerPC in the pipeline. The phone is probably the best bet but maybe both. Also, is Jobs the one talking? If it isn't Jobs then I think that will shoot down the dual core PM's but if it is Jobs then there is a little hope.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
supatekmedia88 said:
Could be a variation on this: (links to three videos of secret Apple device)

http://www.secretsocietyfilms.com/iwalk/
It looks old to me, possibly a prototype that got out a few years ago. The blue Apple at startup is old and the design seems to be the same as the G4 powermacs. I thought it could have been real but the final video with the writing to text seems to perfect. I don't imagine there would be enough points of contact to have the writing come out that perfect. I'm not talking about the text conversion, I'm talking about the guys handwriting on the device.. just to good. If it is a prototype it's impressive and I wonder what a few more years of design could do to a product like that.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MikeJett86 said:
Maybe unveiling "numbers" or whatever, the spreadsheet app to go with iwork.

I doubt this will be the case - APple will probably save revealing this new app for iWork '06 in 6 months' time at MWSF.

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Well, the last Powermac update was more than a bit disappointing, and now that they're rid of the 1.8GHz single CPU stock, why not let loose with a big Powermac update. That would certainly kill off the "osbourne effect" - and might explain why the last Powermac update was so bad - they were keeping it in reserve for after the Intel announcement.

Of course that's probably totally wrong!

deetschei

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2005
didn't the announcement reveal multiple product updates? at the very least, it should be more than just the phone.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
When is this media event?
If it is tablets that would be really sweet but I cant imagine then being able to keep it underwraps this well. I love tablet computers which means Ill probably like mac tabs more.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
also if that iwalk movie was real I cant imagine that the product shown was just a prototype it looks very polished at or near a releaseable level of readiness.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
AP_piano295 said:
also if that iwalk movie was real I cant imagine that the product shown was just a prototype it looks very polished at or near a releaseable level of readiness.
To me the iWalk looks old. It seems like something that was designed about 4 or 5 years ago incase they saw an immediate market for it. Also, look at the charger. The charger in the background is at least 2 or 3 years old as it was used with older iBooks and Powerbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.