Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:01 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Partners with Chinese Environmental Group for Supplier Audit






While Apple has received much publicity for its partnership with the Fair Labor Association to audit working conditions at several of its manufacturing partners' facilities in China, Financial Times reports that the company has now also partnered with the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs (IPE) for an environmental audit of a supplier's facilities.
Quote:
Apple has agreed to a jointly monitored audit of pollution controls at a supplier's factory in China, in what activists see as a breakthrough in their efforts to persuade the world's most valuable company to address environmental concerns.

A maker of printed circuit boards for the Silicon Valley company is due to be inspected in the next few weeks by auditors, with Apple and the China-based Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs (IPE) jointly monitoring their efforts.
According to the report, Apple and the IPE have been in discussions for months about a partnership, culminating in a five-hour meeting in Cupertino last October that set the stage for a formal relationship. Following this initial audit, the IPE hopes that it will be able to partner with Apple on audits of thirteen other facilities in China that are already being monitored by Apple.

The IPE is led by Ma Jun, an environmental activist who just today was announced as one of six winners of this year's Goldman Environmental Prize.
Quote:
In October, the activist and author met with senior Apple executives in San Francisco and Cupertino to discuss his report, published a month earlier, on health hazards caused by pollution in the company's Chinese supply chain.

Ma will be at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco on Monday to receive the Goldman Environmental Prize for "bringing unprecedented environmental transparency and empowering Chinese citizens to demand justice." His work has prompted the Chinese government and multinational corporations, including Apple, to more seriously confront the issues he has long been raising.
As part of its environmental disclosures, Apple has noted that it focused on 14 suppliers for environmental audits in 2011, and the company is expanding its efforts in 2012 to include additional facilities, work more closely with governmental and nongovernmental agencies such as the IPE, and increase training on environmental responsibility throughout its supply chain.

Article Link: Apple Partners with Chinese Environmental Group for Supplier Audit
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
daxomni
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Although I was not familiar with this group it looks like they are legit at first glance and in fact have called out Apple in the past.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/te...says.html?_r=1
__________________
iPod 3 | Nano 1/3/6 | Touch 2 | iPhone 1/2/4 | iOS 1/2/3/5 |MBP 2K9/2K10/2K12 | OSX 5/6/7/8 | E4G | GS3 | AOS 2/4 | DOS 5/6 | W31/95/98/XP/W7/W8 | NT4/2K/2K3/2K8
daxomni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Let’s see if this follows the same pattern as with labor practices:

1. Problems in the electronics industry as a whole and in China specifically.

2. Apple reports their own problems publicly.

3. Apple takes steps to fix those problems, and reports publicly on their progress as well as their failures.

4. Years pass. Things improve greatly, but more improvement is still called for.

5. During all these years, Apple’s competitors cover up their own problems, and do little but make empty statements. They are the problem, while Apple is the solution.

6. Apple invites public auditing by third parties. No other tech companies do. The audits verify exactly what Apple has already reported.

7. Journalists try to find more dirt on Apple, that Apple hasn’t reported themselves. They never find a single thing. So, many of them simply make it up, or invite “artists” to create fictions reported as news. Bask in the attention and ad revenue!

8. Lots of people believe this stuff, and even after the lies are admitted, keep believing it. Others just repeat it knowing it to be lies. But, hey... attention and ad revenue!

9. Many of these people boycott Apple and buy from the companies that are doing nothing. The workers suffer.

10. Activists hurt their own cause by going along will all this, attacking Apple instead of attacking the companies that should be doing what Apple is. The workers suffer.

11. Lesson learned: if you try to solve a problem, attention is drawn to it. Better to do nothing and look good. PR is more important than real solutions! And lies sell better than facts.

We already know Apple’s leading environmental record... let’s see how many of the above steps are followed anyway, while other companies that do far less are ignored to commit whatever wrongs they like
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
"Chinese Environmental Group"

Isn't that an oxymoron?
bedifferent is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:59 AM   #5
carlgo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
As Apple and everyone else knows, the real pollution comes from the first steps in production. Chinese mines are a horror story and it doesn't get much better at the next tiers of processing the base materials and then forming them into parts and so on up the ladder.

This is the real reason stuff can be made cheaply in China.

You can bet the labor situation at these levels is also vastly worse than at Foxcon and other more visible plants.

So, really the announced (!) inspection of a high-level assembly plant is just a fell-good process that will end with a gala dinner of Peking Duck and a surprisingly good Chinese wine.
carlgo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
HiVolt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"Chinese Environmental Group"

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Hahah I was gonna post that exact thing... How stupid do they think people are?

China has rivers that have RED "water", thats how polluted they are. Nobody gives a crap about the environment there. Just profits.
__________________
| iPhone5 64GB Unlocked & JB'd | iPad4 32GB LTE JB'd | '09 Mac Mini C2D 2.26GHz, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD | QNAP TS-869 Pro 8x3TB WD Red | QNAP TS-419P II 4x2TB WD Green |
HiVolt is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7
daxomni
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
5. During all these years, Apple’s competitors cover up their own problems, and do little but make empty statements. They are the problem, while Apple is the solution.
When it comes to the environment, Apple may be the lesser of ten thousand evils, but that still doesn't change the fact that extremely heavy consumption of consumer electronic products is a net negative for the environment no matter who supplies it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
6. Apple invites public auditing by third parties. No other tech companies do. The audits verify exactly what Apple has already reported.
Any audit that mirrors the public relations copy is probably not that thorough of an audit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
7. Journalists try to find more dirt on Apple, that Apple hasn’t reported themselves. They never find a single thing. So, many of them simply make it up, or invite “artists” to create fictions reported as news. Bask in the attention and ad revenue!
When Apple admits that something is wrong that does not prove the journalist who originally broke the story was inconsequential. Rather, it would seem to prove the exact opposite.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
9. Many of these people boycott Apple and buy from the companies that are doing nothing. The workers suffer.
Do you have a source for this? Or is it pure conjecture in the service of intentionally manufactured hypocrisy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
10. Activists hurt their own cause by going along will all this, attacking Apple instead of attacking the companies that should be doing what Apple is. The workers suffer.
Simple math should explain why Apple is getting so much attention. Even a slight improvement in how Apple does business could pay bigger environmental dividends than huge improvements at hundreds of much smaller companies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
11. Lesson learned: if you try to solve a problem, attention is drawn to it. Better to do nothing and look good. PR is more important than real solutions! And lies sell better than facts.
Better to do nothing? How exactly has any of this attention hurt Apple? They seem to be breaking sales records left at right. Which would seem to imply you might be overstating the risk and understating the benefit of transparency.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"Chinese Environmental Group" Isn't that an oxymoron?
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
Hahah I was gonna post that exact thing... How stupid do they think people are? China has rivers that have RED "water", thats how polluted they are. Nobody gives a crap about the environment there. Just profits.
If we're going strictly by measurable net improvement, you could almost say the same thing about environmental groups in the United States of America from 1981-Present. Does that mean none of us are trying? Or does it mean we're simply being blocked from doing anything substantial enough to have a real impact?
__________________
iPod 3 | Nano 1/3/6 | Touch 2 | iPhone 1/2/4 | iOS 1/2/3/5 |MBP 2K9/2K10/2K12 | OSX 5/6/7/8 | E4G | GS3 | AOS 2/4 | DOS 5/6 | W31/95/98/XP/W7/W8 | NT4/2K/2K3/2K8

Last edited by daxomni; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
daxomni is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
kcmac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2002
In the end, Apple is at least making an attempt to do the right thing. Whether it is enough will be argued by some. Certainly though more than the rest of the industry can claim or will do in the near future.
kcmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
MH01
macrumors 68030
 
MH01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"Chinese Environmental Group"

Isn't that an oxymoron?
lol exactly!
MH01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
Hahah I was gonna post that exact thing... How stupid do they think people are?

China has rivers that have RED "water", thats how polluted they are. Nobody gives a crap about the environment there. Just profits.
Spot on. Yet god forbid anyone criticize this issue on MacRumors. You know, it's when you blindly follow a company no matter what that you lose sight of what is important. I love Apple as much as the next guy here, but it's when we accept everything they do as perfect that Apple begins to slip (as is the case with Lion).
bedifferent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxomni View Post
Any audit that mirrors the public relations copy is probably not that thorough of an audit.
I guess you've never been involved in audits before, most people haven't, and only have horror stories from IRS audits of actual tax evaders for their information. Here's a tip: Audit is not a synonym for Bad.

Quote:
When Apple admits that something is wrong that does not prove the journalist who originally broke the story was inconsequential. Rather, it would seem to prove the exact opposite.
100% sure that was a reference to a false journalist who has admitted to making up stories about factory workers. And has been proved wrong by actual journalists.


I'll let others play with the rest of your obviously non-objective post. Talk about an oxymoron.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:11 PM   #12
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"chinese environmental group"

isn't that an oxymoron?
+1
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
daxomni
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I guess you've never been involved in audits before, most people haven't, and only have horror stories from IRS audits of actual tax evaders for their information. Here's a tip: Audit is not a synonym for Bad.
Here's another tip: Audit is not synonym for rubber stamp. And yes, I've participated in numerous audits as part of my job duties.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
100% sure that was a reference to a false journalist who has admitted to making up stories about factory workers. And has been proved wrong by actual journalists.
There was nothing in that post to indicate it was referring to a single incident.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I'll let others play with the rest of your obviously non-objective post. Talk about an oxymoron.
What a cop out. If you had anything to work with you would have already made your case. But since you don't there's nothing else to say.
__________________
iPod 3 | Nano 1/3/6 | Touch 2 | iPhone 1/2/4 | iOS 1/2/3/5 |MBP 2K9/2K10/2K12 | OSX 5/6/7/8 | E4G | GS3 | AOS 2/4 | DOS 5/6 | W31/95/98/XP/W7/W8 | NT4/2K/2K3/2K8
daxomni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:11 PM   #14
koruki
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"Chinese Environmental Group"

Isn't that an oxymoron?
your username with your view on the chinese are a bit oxymoron
__________________
RIP Mr. Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011.
15" rMbp 2014, 64GB iPhone 5, Shure SE846
koruki is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:14 PM   #15
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiVolt View Post
Nobody gives a crap about the environment there. Just profits.
And you know this first hand, or from what you've gleaned from the BS media?
JHankwitz is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:14 PM   #16
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000
 
brdeveloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brasil
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxomni View Post
When it comes to the environment, Apple may be the lesser of ten thousand evils, but that still doesn't change the fact that extremely heavy consumption of consumer electronic products is a net negative for the environment no matter who supplies it.

Agreed. If we really cared about the environment, we should consume less, e.g. not buying the newer product's version every year. Maybe when people do this, companies will care more about product upgradeability, that is, the possibility to increase the power of a device by changing some parts instead of the whole one.
__________________
15" rMBP Early-2013, 2.4GHz. After 3 display replacements, I'm still seeing uniformity problems.
2009 Unibody White MacBook, 250GB 840 EVO SSD, 8GB
Mid-2010 MacMini, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD, 16GB
brdeveloper is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:48 PM   #17
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by koruki View Post
your username with your view on the chinese are a bit oxymoron


Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Agreed. If we really cared about the environment, we should consume less, e.g. not buying the newer product's version every year. Maybe when people do this, companies will care more about product upgradeability, that is, the possibility to increase the power of a device by changing some parts instead of the whole one.
Well stated sir
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:01 PM   #18
Marlor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
"Chinese Environmental Group"

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Because Chinese citizens are incapable of caring about the environment or organizing to form activist organisations?

Prejudiced much?
Marlor is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:17 PM   #19
Dragado
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Agreed. If we really cared about the environment, we should consume less, e.g. not buying the newer product's version every year. Maybe when people do this, companies will care more about product upgradeability, that is, the possibility to increase the power of a device by changing some parts instead of the whole one.
I think part of the issue is how you measure this. I think many people do try to consume less (I do), but there's no real way to know on the global scale. At the end of the day, you can only be responsible for yourself.
Dragado is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:55 AM   #20
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlor View Post
Because Chinese citizens are incapable of caring about the environment or organizing to form activist organisations?

Prejudiced much?
No, because I've been to many parts of china, and India, and sadly isn't a green country (hence the need for environmental groups).

Google India River and see how much plastic is pouring out of India into the ocean, accompanied by sewage. China is far from an eco-friendly nation. Educate before you boldly criticize someone you do not know for making a valid point. It merely demonstrates your ignorance.

Done here as this thread (as usual) has become filled with personal attacks rather than productive discourse. As usual, god forbid someone make a statement that paints Apple in a bad light. As I stated, blind adoration will only lessen a great company, not improve it. As Steve Jobs did with Apple, perfection is key, not mediocrity.

Last edited by bedifferent; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
bedifferent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:27 PM   #21
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxomni View Post
Here's another tip: Audit is not synonym for rubber stamp. And yes, I've participated in numerous audits as part of my job duties.
Congrats, you just repeated yourself. Of course, you are the only one proclaiming these extremes. So, the other companies that don't invite audits of their performance are...ok? Since they do nothing? Or are you complaining about them on forums, also?

Quote:
There was nothing in that post to indicate it was referring to a single incident.
Then I guess you didn't understand it. I submit, based on your normal post tone, that this would be willfully.

Quote:
What a cop out. If you had anything to work with you would have already made your case. But since you don't there's nothing else to say.
I was busy. So, here you go.

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? Or is it pure conjecture in the service of intentionally manufactured hypocrisy?
Perhaps he reads this forum. And seriously, hypocrisy?

Quote:
Simple math should explain why Apple is getting so much attention. Even a slight improvement in how Apple does business could pay bigger environmental dividends than huge improvements at hundreds of much smaller companies.
Then why has Apple gotten more than its fair share of crap since the 80s? Their market share in any product line was miniscule until the iPod.

Quote:
Better to do nothing? How exactly has any of this attention hurt Apple? They seem to be breaking sales records left at right. Which would seem to imply you might be overstating the risk and understating the benefit of transparency.
Even you can't believe this comment means anything. The attention is new, after the sales records. Obviously, anyone concerned about it would be talking about future sales.

No doubt you are objective. Yeah.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Drops Chinese Supplier for Child Labor Violations MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 76 Apr 21, 2014 06:13 AM
Chinese Labor Group Alleges Major Labor Violations at Apple iPhone 5C Supplier Jabil Circuit [Update: Apple to Investigate] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 88 Sep 9, 2013 11:19 AM
Chinese Labor Group Alleges Poor Working Conditions at Apple Supplier Pegatron MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 65 Jul 30, 2013 12:25 PM
Amid Apple Campus 2 Cost Concerns, Foster + Partners Reportedly Taking on Apple Retail Store Projects MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 87 Apr 14, 2013 03:43 PM
Audit Claims Apple Received Favorable Treatment in Grand Central Terminal Lease Talks MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 69 Aug 7, 2012 05:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC