Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: iWork vs Office vs Something else
I use iWork 56 40.58%
I use Microsoft Office 71 51.45%
I use another set of applications (such as Open Office) 9 6.52%
I don't use/ need either 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
iWork vs Office vs something else (merged)

I am just wondering if there are many others using iWork like I am

Last edited by Drew017; Apr 18, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Drew017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
throAU
macrumors 68030

i use iwork for home stuff. at work, on PCs i use Office.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I use Microsoft Office because I do a lot of co-writing with colleagues who are all using Windows.
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Mac In School
macrumors 65816

I prefer iWork and use it for personal and home-based business stuff.

For my day job I have to use Office (PC), so I keep a copy installed on my Mac just in case I need to work with those documents.
Mac In School is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:08 AM   #5
maflynn

Office for me, I need the compatibility, I also find that iwork's application suite to be lacking in a number of features
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:24 AM   #6
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I use iWork in the office and send as PDF. People don't need to edit my documents.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:53 AM   #7
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I use both for different things

Word > Pages for work
Pages > Word for personal docs and design

Excel > Numbers for most things
Numbers > Excel for simple sheets

Keynote > PowerPoint for virtually everything

Mix and match the best tool for the job
MacDawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

iWork for the following reasons.
  1. It does what I need it too.
  2. It's a fraction the price of MS Office and uses less system resources.
  3. At the time I was deciding OpenOffice was not really reafy on the Mac. And looking at the current varients, it seems like it has gotten a bit bloated as well.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Herdfan
macrumors regular

Office. Mainly because I already know how to use more advanced features, especially in Excel.

Got daughter using Keynote vs Powerpoint for school presentations. Hers look so much better than those using the stock PP template. But she has to make sure to keep a copy of Quicktime on a thumb drive to install it on the PC if it doesn't have it.
Herdfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:45 AM   #10
kubaw
macrumors newbie

I was adoring iWork until I saw a printout from Pages. It was a complete disaster. The difference in line-spacing in a paragraph could reach as much as 1.5mm and was easily seen with a naked eye. I know neither of them (Pages/Word) is a professional typesetting software, but I just couldn't believe that Jobs let something like that go out...
kubaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:48 AM   #11
spacesamurai
macrumors member

Using Office against my will. I dream of a world where all customers use Macs and iWork is the standard
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
ghellquist
macrumors regular

Libre Office

At work - MS Office (mostly excel) but privately it is Libre Office on both Macs and Windows. Waiting for iPad version (noticed to be available next year). Very compatible with most office files. And no cost.

// Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:57 AM   #13
talmy
macrumors 68040

Always iWork unless document source has to be shared, then Office or occasionally OpenOffice.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:58 AM   #14
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubaw View Post
... but I just couldn't believe that Jobs let something like that go out...
For some reason I seriously doubt that Steve Jobs had anything to do with this problem.
MisterMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 AM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603

iWork for 95% of what I do. I share PDFs/printed paper of a good deal of what I do, and I like the way iWork templates give a big head start on making my stuff look professional. I find iWork very easy to work with. Most of what I need is great looking relatively simple documents. I'm not writing complex footnoted research papers.

I can use one application (Pages) to create many different types of documents: forms for internal use, forms for external use, letters, reports, meeting minutes, ads for the newspaper, rack-cards, brochures, class hand-outs, etc.

The content from many of the Pages documents are also used in Keynote documents, and vice versa.

Quote:
I was adoring iWork until I saw a printout from Pages. It was a complete disaster. The difference in line-spacing in a paragraph could reach as much as 1.5mm and was easily seen with a naked eye. I know neither of them (Pages/Word) is a professional typesetting software, but I just couldn't believe that Jobs let something like that go out...
I'm surprised, and I suspect it's something specific to your installation. I certainly have no issues with this line spacing, nor do I see it in other people's Pages documents. My sample is small, of course, but it's enough that I'm confident that it's your installation and not due to the application. Post this over at the Apple Community forums - they have one specifically for Pages, and there is some very high-powered help there. Good Luck.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:55 AM   #16
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
By default Pages sets the line spacing based on the largest font used in a line, so if the font changes mid paragraph the line spacing may change. However line spacing can be set to exact values if desired. It just doesn't do it by default. I let mine auto-adjust so that it will handle embedded equations which typically require more space.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:59 PM   #17
musty345
macrumors regular

iWork

I love the ability to be able to buy Pages, Keynote and Numbers separately. It means that I only have to buy each one when I need it. I have bought Pages and Keynote so far, but I have no use for Numbers. You can also save Pages files as Word documents so that eliminates all compatibility problems
21.5" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPod Classic
musty345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #18
MacSignal
macrumors regular

Open Office isn't beautiful or fully MS Office compatible, but it is cross-platform and free. I have been using the word processor and spreadsheet applications for my modest needs for more than 10 years.

I started with MS Office on Windows and then transitioned to Open Office on Windows. If I still wanted to run something like this in a Windows environment, I would be curious about the free version of Kingsoft Office based on this article from PC World.

Yes, I also have iWork, but it is not that intuitive (imo) if you are coming from years of using MS Office. I have used Pages, Numbers, and Keynote selectively in circumstances where I felt I had the option to be less productive. I am delaying a more dedicated effort to learn iWork until the next major update.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Drew017
macrumors 65816

I really like the layout of the iWork apps, but the Office apps are just as good. Probably because they are microsoft, and so there is little incompatibility between Macs and PCs
Drew017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:43 PM   #20
coachingguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not to be a SmartA$$, but you do know that you can control that with the Inspector, right?

Coachingguy
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #21
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

I use iWork for anything I don't need to distribute. Office for Mac for everything else. Office for Mac really isn't great, it's slow.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #22
macbook pro i5
Banned

i use pages but I also use powerpoint, as some one else said its a mix and match.
macbook pro i5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:35 PM   #23
Drew017
macrumors 65816

I should have added an "I use both" option...
Drew017 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:32 PM   #24
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSignal View Post
Open Office isn't beautiful or fully MS Office compatible, but it is cross-platform and free. I have been using the word processor and spreadsheet applications for my modest needs for more than 10 years.
ARGH!

Stop recommending Open Office!

It's dead now to all extents and purposes.

LibreOffice is the same product, only made a trillon times better and not held back by Sun, Oracle or blinkered ideologists.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:15 AM   #25
kubaw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachingguy View Post
Not to be a SmartA$$, but you do know that you can control that with the Inspector, right?
Sure I do. The problem is - maybe I didn't make it clear enough - the spacing is different between lines in one single multi-line paragraph. And line-spacing is set for paragraph as a whole.

I'll try to post a scan of this printout later to let you see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
By default Pages sets the line spacing based on the largest font used in a line, so if the font changes mid paragraph the line spacing may change. However line spacing can be set to exact values if desired. It just doesn't do it by default. I let mine auto-adjust so that it will handle embedded equations which typically require more space.
Nope, single font used (Times New Roman 12pt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I'm surprised, and I suspect it's something specific to your installation. I certainly have no issues with this line spacing, nor do I see it in other people's Pages documents. My sample is small, of course, but it's enough that I'm confident that it's your installation and not due to the application. Post this over at the Apple Community forums - they have one specifically for Pages, and there is some very high-powered help there. Good Luck.
Maybe you are right and this is rather a problem with printer or printer driver (hp laserjest 1320, 600 dpi). I will try to make a PDF and check if I can spot the difference. If not - I will give my apologies to iWork ;]

Thanks guys.
kubaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store