Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
When you submit your first application you can pick a name to put it under. But once you pick that name, you cannot change it.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
i really don't feel comfortable with putting my name on the App Store. is this really necessary? is there some way for me to get around it?

The only way to get around it is to register as a Company rather than an Individual. And companies have a whole new set of qualifications that are harder to satisfy in order to be approved.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
i really don't feel comfortable with putting my name on the App Store. is this really necessary? is there some way for me to get around it?

Chances are your name isn't unique... it's not like someone will be able to identify you just from your name. (I assume privacy is the discomfort here, maybe I'm wrong.) You are asking people for money - or at least to trust your app to not do malicious things on their devices - I think being able to have your name in exchange is fair.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
No hiding another name allowed.

Apple does not allow DBAs or fictitious names to enroll in the iOS Developer program (except as individuals under their own personal name). If you want to use a company name, you will need to incorporate your development business (as an LLC, S-corp, C-corp, etc.), and enroll that corporation as a company, using the legal company name as per your incorporation documents (where a public record leads back to you anyway). See you lawyer for details.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012

Apple does not allow DBAs or fictitious names to enroll in the iOS Developer program (except as individuals under their own personal name). If you want to use a company name, you will need to incorporate your development business (as an LLC, S-corp, C-corp, etc.), and enroll that corporation as a company, using the legal company name as per your incorporation documents (where a public record leads back to you anyway). See you lawyer for details.

ok, thanks a lot bro. yah, it didn't make sense for me to put a fictitious name in.

for me to join as a company, how difficult is it to setup a company?

nathanlloyd

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
UK
Whereabouts are you based? In the UK you just need to register with companies house. It costs around £18.

I did this about a month ago and I'm now approved by Apple.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008

You're right, you can use a Company Name (DBA) and enroll as an individual. When signed up this way, in some places in the App Store your Company Name will be shown (at the top next to your app's name, and in references to your web site), and in others your individual name will be shown along with your Company Name (next to Seller).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You're right, you can use a Company Name (DBA) and enroll as an individual.

According to the Program Enrollment FAQ, this is not allowed:
Can I enter an alias/nickname when I enroll?

No. You must enter your legal first and last name when enrolling in the iOS Developer Program. Do not enter an alias, nickname, or company name as your first or last name during the enrollment process. Entering your legal name incorrectly will cause a delay in the approval of your enrollment.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
You enter both your real name and your Company Name when you enroll as an individual.

Where does Apple request your company name when you enroll as an individual?

Hmm, do you have any examples from the App Store where both legal name and company name are shown (for someone registered as an individual)?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Where does Apple request your company name when you enroll as an individual?

They don't ask when you enroll. They ask when you want to release your first app.

You can enter one other business name, which can then not be changed, and which will be used for search results (even if the business name is not in any of the app's keywords or app name or enrolled developer's name). This business name also shows up in some other places in the App store (but Apple has changed that place from time to time).

But, currently, your individual name still shows up as the app developer/seller.

do you have any examples from the App Store where both legal name and company name are shown (for someone registered as an individual)?

Here's an example from today's New and Noteworthy section: search for "Cave Run" (an app name) or "Ravenous Games" (a company name). But the Seller is listed as Mr. Doucett (likely an individual Developer). But look for the company name in the "More By" listing. So both the individual seller and the company names appear in iTunes.

There appear to be thousands of devs with this dual individual/DBA type listing.

Last edited:

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
They don't ask when you enroll. They ask when you want to release your first app.

You can enter one other business name, which can then not be changed, and which will be used for search results (even if the business name is not in any of the app's keywords or app name or enrolled developer's name). This business name also shows up in some other places in the App store (but Apple has changed that place from time to time).

But, currently, your individual name still shows up as the app developer/seller.

Here's an example from today's New and Noteworthy section: search for "Cave Run" (an app name) or "Ravenous Games" (a company name). But the Seller is listed as Mr. Doucett (likely an individual Developer). But look for the company name in the "More By" listing. So both the individual seller and the company names appear in iTunes.

There appear to be thousands of devs with this dual individual/DBA type listing.

Thanks for clarifying this. It's been a couple years since I set mine up this way, and I couldn't remember the steps I used.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
wait, i'm confused now. so even if i setup a company -- my real name will still be there?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
can i use a middle name rather than my first name?

Sure, and Apple can send your checks to whoever actually has that legal name.

You don't seem to understand how serious this is. You're signing a contract giving you permission to sell apps on the official app store. It's not a garage sale. It's not a lemonade stand. Real people pay real money for real products.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
can i use a middle name rather than my first name?

What's name is on your ID, bank account and credit card?

That's the name that Apple requires to enroll (except for corporations). They might even require that you fax them a notarized copy of your passport.

Or do you want to waste $99?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
MacNoobGuy, it seems we are having a hard time understanding why you want to avoid using your legal name. What is your aversion to putting your name on your product? Do you not want to stand behind the product that people are purchasing from you? Maybe you should elaborate on why you are not wanting to use your name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.