Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
MacNoobGuy, it seems we are having a hard time understanding why you want to avoid using your legal name. What is your aversion to putting your name on your product? Do you not want to stand behind the product that people are purchasing from you? Maybe you should elaborate on why you are not wanting to use your name.

oh it's nothing like that. i just like the idea of having some anonymity like i do on here.

so apple requires that i use my first and last name? i can understand why, but i'd really prefer not to.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
so apple requires that i use my first and last name? i can understand why, but i'd really prefer not to.

No they don't. If you form an LLC or C-corp, you can use the corporation's legal name instead of yours.

Since it's Apple's Developer program, contract, and App store, not yours, only their preference matters, not yours.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
They do, if you want to register as an individual.

Well, if you prefer not to, you've been given some other options here to pursue. Let us know which approach you finally decide to take.

ok thanks.

it seems like it'll be a lot of work to form a company.
No they don't. If you form an LLC or C-corp, you can use the corporation's legal name instead of yours.

Since it's Apple's Developer program, contract, and App store, not yours, only their preference matters, not yours.

ok thanks. so it isn't possible for me to use my middle name?

i'm really just not comfortable with my real name being displayed under my app. i have no problem giving apple my real name, i'm just not comfortable with store browsers being able to see my name.

thanks

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

ok thanks. so it isn't possible for me to use my middle name?

i'm really just not comfortable with my real name being displayed under my app. i have no problem giving apple my real name, i'm just not comfortable with store browsers being able to see my name.
You can keep going in circles as much as you want to, but it's not going to change anything. You've gotten many suggestions on how to avoid using your name in this thread. It's not our problem if you don't want to do any of the work required to achieve your goal.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

Depending on where you live, doing this could take as little as a few dollars and a few minutes. And if you think forming a company (like an LLC) is complicated, wait until you get to provisioning a distribution profile. ;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Depending on where you live, doing this could take as little as a few dollars and a few minutes. And if you think forming a company (like an LLC) is complicated, wait until you get to provisioning a distribution profile. ;)

Actually, Xcode 4.3.2 automates that process to the point that it's trivial. When I lost some keys, I had to revoke the old certificates. And then, as I recall, all I had to do was hit a button labeled "Refresh" or something like that in the organizer and it basically did everything on its own to get me new profiles/keys/certificates, only stopping to ask for a password every few seconds... it didn't even take 5 minutes to go from revoking my certificates to uploading an update, I don't think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.