Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
I know this has been done before and again, but I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions as to what could be added or implemented into iOS 6. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine.

I know some of these are corrected through jailbreak apps, but I don't want to have to jailbreak to get these basic features. Also, Android is not for me, I prefer the stability of iOS, please don't suggest I switch to it if I want some of the features. While I'm sure there are plenty more features that could be tweaked or added that I overlooked, I think this is a good place to start.

✔ 1.) Maps Overhaul

Let's put it this way. Maps on iOS sucks. Something that is used so heavily by users and it's been pretty much neglected save for a few new features along the way. Let's hope Apple puts their acquisitions of several mapping companies to use. The anonymous traffic data they've collected may also prove to be an extraordinary feature. The addition of a turn by turn navigation is needed. I've used it on Android and it's the one thing I actually envy Android users for. I think Apple should still rely on some of Google's mapping data, but implement some of their own for different layers. I'd like to see terrain view and interior room view added as well. Small but really annoying thing I've noticed is when you double tap the location arrow to see which way you're facing on a map is that as soon as you move the map around, it switches out of that mode.

5gDjo.png

✔ 2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul. Elements such as buttons, switches, sliders, etc could use new shading, color, and other tweaks to freshen things up. New animations would be welcome as well.

✔ 3.) More sharing integration
With iOS 5, Apple introduced the ability to share with Twitter. That's great and all, but most users arguably use Facebook more often. Facebook integration is a no brainer. Other services such as Flickr should also be considered.

Fusion-Screenshot.jpg

✔ 4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

OCbUe.png

eKFBo.png

5.) Notification Center enhancements
Notification Center was a major addition to iOS 5. 3rd party devs should be able to create widgets for their applications that can be enabled by users. Second, the ability to toggle brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc should also be an option for users to enable.

qtDJb.png

6.) Notifications in Status bar
One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable. When users have more than 3 different notifications, a circle with a number could show up so that the bar does not become cluttered.

fbgwm.png

7.) A Camera with basic settings
I know Apple is all about simplicity with its software but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do basic tweaks (brightness, contrast, saturation). I would also love the ability to take video/ photos in different resolutions. iPhoto and the Camera should be integrated standard. Obviously camera application opening speeds and overall snapping pictures should remain speedy if not speedier.

✔ 8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store
It annoys me to no end having to get an app off the app store. I think a shopping cart would be a great addition. Purchasing them in bulk would make it much less tedious having to type passwords in multiple times and reentering the app store application. This should also apply for music.

9.) Better Usage meters
With the carriers ditching unlimited plans for tiered data plans, this is a necessity. Data is easily consumed (especially over 4G) nowadays and there should be a built in usage monitor. Alerts should also be able to be set up so that users don't accidentally go over their limits.

10.) Group texts
Group texts can be extremely helpful or extremely annoying. I should be able to opt out of group texts if I no longer want to be sent them. My phone has been bombed by group texts so many times. With iMessage, this should be possible.

11.) Album improvements
I want to be able to move photos/ videos between albums on iOS. Not copy.

12.) Better app switching
I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively. As far as it being implemented on the iPhone and the smaller screen real estate for previews, Apple could place a small app icon at the bottom of each preview as it does in Expose in OSX.

4d2de880dfa86.png

ss_multifl0wv2_1.png

13.) Ability to delete and re-download stock iOS apps.
Not all of us are stock brokers. Why can't I delete the app? I really don't use the compass. Can't I get rid of it? iOS needs to allow users to delete their stock applications. Apple should put the stock applications on the app store so if I ever get into stocks, I can put it back on my phone. This would also allow Apple to update the stock apps without pushing out a new iOS update.

14.) Widgets
Widgets can be extremely handy for quick access to information. The ability for users to add widgets really should be there.

✔15.) Youtube
This app is so out of date and the UI is showing age. A complete revamp is in order. Perhaps hand Google the reigns so that it could be more similar to the Android version? A major problem with the application is not being able to share links unless you send it as an email, copy the link out of the email, then you have access to it.

16.) Fix Spellcheck/ Autocorrect
When you have sites such as damnyouautocorrect.com, you may want to work on autocorrect.

✔ 17.) Music app overhaul
For a company that changed the music industry, the music app sure is dull. It works well compared to any other mobile OS, but I can't help but to feel bored with it. Coverflow which was impressive back when the iPhone first launched has lost it's shine. I feel that the orientation could be put to better use.

Small fixes

-When typing (notably in Messages) a large amount of text, the text box expands to the point where the message window is cut down to a tiny sliver that makes it a pain to read the text you were responding to. Text in the text box should become scrollable after a certain point so that the view window doesn't become too obstructed.

✔ -Allow notifications to be shared to devices over bluetooth.

-Weather icon should show weather and temp based on current location

-Add more features to weather application such as radar

-Include more wallpapers

✔ -Allow more than 5 pictures to be copied at a time in Photos app

Last edited:

lifeguard

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Those are all great suggestions for ios6, can you answer this though? Why did this deserve a new thread instead of being added to the 15 other threads about the same thing?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Those are all great suggestions for ios6, can you answer this though? Why did this deserve a new thread instead of being added to the 15 other threads about the same thing?

let's be honest. Look at almost any new thread that pops up any day. The vast majority of them are rehashes of other threads. Very few threads are a completely fresh topic that has never been discussed before.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
I know this has been done before and again, but I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions as to what could be added or implemented into iOS 6. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine.

I know some of these are corrected through jailbreak apps, but I don't want to have to jailbreak to get these basic features. Also, Android is not for me, I prefer the stability of iOS, please don't suggest I switch to it if I want some of the features. While I'm sure there are plenty more features that could be tweaked or added that I overlooked, I think this is a good place to start.

1.) Maps Overhaul

Let's put it this way. Maps on iOS sucks. Something that is used so heavily by users and it's been pretty much neglected save for a few new features along the way. Let's hope Apple puts their acquisitions of several mapping companies to use. The anonymous traffic data they've collected may also prove to be an extraordinary feature. The addition of a turn by turn navigation is needed. I've used it on Android and it's the one thing I actually envy Android users for. I think Apple should still rely on some of Google's mapping data, but implement some of their own for different layers. I'd like to see terrain view and interior room view added as well. Small but really annoying thing I've noticed is when you double tap the location arrow to see which way you're facing on a map is that as soon as you move the map around, it switches out of that mode.

2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul.

3.) More sharing integration
With iOS 5, Apple introduced the ability to share with Twitter. That's great and all, but most users arguably use Facebook more often. Facebook integration is a no brainer. Other services such as Flickr should also be considered.

4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

Notification Center was a major addition to iOS 5. 3rd party devs should be able to create widgets for their applications that can be enabled by users. Second, the ability to toggle brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc should also be an option for users to enable.

One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable.

7.) A Camera with basic settings
I know Apple is all about simplicity with its software but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do basic tweaks (brightness, contrast, saturation). I would also love the ability to take video/ photos in different resolutions.

8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store
It annoys me to no end having to get an app off the app store. I think a shopping cart would be a great addition. Purchasing them in bulk would make it much less tedious having to type passwords in multiple times and reentering the app store application. This should also apply for music.

9.) Better Usage meters
With the carriers ditching unlimited plans for tiered data plans, this is a necessity. Data is easily consumed (especially over 4G) nowadays and there should be a built in usage monitor. Alerts should also be able to be set up so that users don't accidentally go over their limits.

10.) Group texts
Group texts can be extremely helpful or extremely annoying. I should be able to opt out of group texts if I no longer want to be sent them. My phone has been bombed by group texts so many times. With iMessage, this should be possible.

11.) Album improvements
I want to be able to move photos/ videos between albums on iOS. Not copy.

I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively.

Not all of us are stock brokers. Why can't I delete the app? I really don't use the compass. Can't I get rid of it? iOS needs to allow users to delete their stock applications. Apple should put the stock applications on the app store so if I ever get into stocks, I can put it back on my phone. This would also allow Apple to update the stock apps without pushing out a new iOS update.

14.) Widgets
Widgets can be extremely handy for quick access to information. The ability for users to add widgets really should be there.

15.) Youtube
This app is so out of date and the UI is showing age. A complete revamp is in order. Perhaps hand Google the reigns so that it could be more similar to the Android version?

16.) Fix Spellcheck
When you have sites such as damnyouautocorrect.com, you may want to work on autocorrect.

17.) Music app overhaul
For a company that changed the music industry, the music app sure is dull. It works well compared to any other mobile OS, but I can't help but to feel bored with it. Coverflow which was impressive back when the iPhone first launched has lost it's shine. I feel that the orientation could be put to better use.

Small fixes

-When typing (notably in Messages) a large amount of text, the text box expands to the point where the message window is cut down to a tiny sliver that makes it a pain to read the text you were responding to. Text in the text box should become scrollable after a certain point so that the view window doesn't become too obstructed.

-Allow notifications to be shared to devices over bluetooth.

-Weather icon should show weather and temp based on current location

-Add more features to weather application such as radar

-Include more wallpapers

All i see are words like overhaul, refresh and better. Nothing to the point really.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
UI is fine. They make small UI updates because people don't like change.(Facebook)

I rather a faster camera app than a bloated one. iPhoto takes care of the filters and stuff.

Adding to the cart idea, I would like to add games to my wishlist.

Widgets, bleh... they are useless. I do how ever want Weather displayed on the lockscreen for quick look.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
UI is fine. They make small UI updates because people don't like change.(Facebook)

I rather a faster camera app than a bloated one. iPhoto takes care of the filters and stuff.

Adding to the cart idea, I would like to add games to my wishlist.

Widgets, bleh... they are useless. I do how ever want Weather displayed on the lockscreen for quick look.

Agree with you on this one. Widgets are useless to me.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I've been using iOS since it was still called iPhone OS 2.0 and the UI does not bother me at all. In my eyes I can't see anything wrong with it.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My one main hope for iOS 6 is that it works on the iPhone 4 as well as iOS 5 does.

I'm not holding my breath though, so I expect to be enjoying iOS 6 in all it's glory on my iPad only.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

Facebook is a terrible example. Facebook should be an example for why they should/could change it. People moan and b***h about it for a week or so and then shut up and get used to it.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I agree with the UI responses so far, I've been using iOS since the early 1.x days on my 1st gen iPod Touch and love the fact that it's been so consistent.

I don't see iOS 6 as being a huge change. They just made a pretty significant jump between 4 and 5 and continuing to do too much could result in some negativity. I'm hoping that they, more or less, just continue to fix any of the weird oddities and improve on the great features that they already have.

Ability to remove some of the preinstalled apps could be nice though...

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!

I'm betting there will be some sort of "sharing" API introduced in iOS 6 since Mountain Lion has/is getting one.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
16.) Fix Spellcheck

This would probably be one of the more important one's. They actually made a step back since iOS5.
I am not talking about these (fake) autocorrect websites where people make up things most of the time.
Autocorrect will now often 'autocorrect' very frequently used words which I did not spell wrong - words that have not been corrected in iOS 4 before. The problem is even worse when switching my keyboard to other languages than English.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
@bisnicks - Nicely put together post man. Some great ideas I'd like to see implemented, but not the major overhauls.

The best changes that have to come to iOS has been the changes to MacOSX, well, will be in Mountain Lion. The synchronisation between Mac and iPhone/iPad is already good with contacts, calendar, etc, but the extras being added in 10.8 complete the job.

I think a lot of your requests/ideas stem from boredom instead of functionality. If it ain't broke an' all that.

10.) Group texts

I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively.

Point 5, currently the only reason I'd contemplate jailbreaking. The prior reason was notifications on the home screen and a few other features that were brought in with iOS5. The toggles on the notification center. Pull down, pull a touch more and tap or swipe to enable/disable.

Point 10, urgh, I am in a couple of group chats that a couple of younger family members have added me to. I feel like I'm deciphering code. But yeah, opt out button, NOW!

Point 12, I was a big fan of WebOS and thought that would be the main competitor for iOS. It wipes the floor with Android and the Synergy cloud setup was ahead of its time. Hey, they took the banner notifications, why not the cards :)

Point 13 is excellent, best one on the list IMO. I'd love to be able to ditch the majority of the stock apps and re-acquire as and when needed.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
The synchronisation between Mac and iPhone/iPad is already good with contacts, calendar, etc, but the extras being added in 10.8 complete the job.

I have yet to see any third-party developer support iCloud. Apple is apparently still clueless as to where users should store there photos. Maybe iWork will be in the cloud, but isn't that about it?

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010

That is exactly why Apple introduced ShareKit on OS X - which unifies everything *except* Facebook now. m( (Is the facepalm emoticon even popular outside of Germany?

Yeah...except that everything is public, and when you delete your account or just a tweet you regret, it is forever mirrored by a thousand terrible tweet-munging web 2.0 services.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
I have yet to see any third-party developer support iCloud. Apple is apparently still clueless as to where users should store there photos. Maybe iWork will be in the cloud, but isn't that about it?

I know where I want to store my photos, on my Mac haha.

While iCloud is great for things like iOS backups and the synchronisation across devices (Macs included), I wouldn't ever rely on it as my one and only solution, so therefore only use it for convenience sake.

If its worth keeping, it ain't staying solely on iCloud, it will be on my Mac and subsequently backed up via time machine as well.

Not sure, with the apps I use, how much use iCloud integration would be.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
If its worth keeping, it ain't staying solely on iCloud, it will be on my Mac and subsequently backed up via time machine as well.

There's no contradiction in that. So far, nothing is only on iCloud, except your database of purchases. Photos could well be on iCloud, completely synced with your Mac and thus in Time Machine, just like your contacts and calendars.

I agree with you, I want my photos to be on my computer primarily. But then why does Apple release iPhoto for iOS in 2012 with features that the Mac version is still missing? Why not move the iPhoto library into the cloud and sync changes from both sides so that I can at least use both sides' features on the same database? And then there is Photo Stream, which is not *really* synced across devices, and which is an anti-social parallel world to the old iPhoto Album Feeds.

I am not sure if Apple will manage to tie up all the loose ends.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
There's no contradiction in that. So far, nothing is only on iCloud, except your database of purchases. Photos could well be on iCloud, completely synced with your Mac and thus in Time Machine, just like your contacts and calendars.

I agree with you, I want my photos to be on my computer primarily. But then why does Apple release iPhoto for iOS in 2012 with features that the Mac version is still missing? Why not move the iPhoto library into the cloud and sync changes from both sides so that I can at least use both sides' features on the same database? And then there is Photo Stream, which is not *really* synced across devices, and which is an anti-social parallel world to the old iPhoto Album Feeds.

I am not sure if Apple will manage to tie up all the loose ends.
Funnily enough I've just bought another Mac and the whole iPhoto database is a bit of an issue as I don't want two databases running.

I don't use Photostream (currently, probably will now it allows the delete from stream option otherwise some random crap is gonna be stored that I don't want), I prefer plugging in and importing manually. Feels like I'm more organised then because I can tag it all properly, descriptions, update the location data if its off etc. Yes, a bit OCD, but looks good in the end :)

iPhoto in the cloud? 10k photos, no thanks haha.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
I don't use Photostream (currently, probably will now it allows the delete from stream option otherwise some random crap is gonna be stored that I don't want), ...

iPhoto in the cloud? 10k photos, no thanks haha.

Photo Stream deletions are only local. If you delete them on the Mac, they are still on the iPhone. :(

Anyway, my situation is really similar to yours. I am taking another route and preparing to move all my stuff on Dropbox, 50GB are enough for my library and it'll still be in Time Machine. I just cannot use iPhoto on either platform anymore :/

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul.

They did do a slight change to the main screen UI in iOS 4 i believe the change was to give the bottom 4 apps sitting on a shelf rather than in a grey space. But i would agree another refresh would be good, not sure what they would do though.

One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable.

This would be great. To be honest i had always thought there was a icon to show it was on silent. For something so simple i'm surprised they didn't show it. I never realized i have to turn my phone to the side to make sure its on silent or not when i could just look at the screen if they included an icon.

I would say rather than a notification symbol for each app, a better idea would just to be a red circle with a number of notifications in it. If you had a symbol for each app it would get crowded quick.

9.) Better Usage meters

Most carriers have apps (My AT&T, My Verizon, ect) that you can use to get your usage. The phone usage would be skewed because its going to count data even when you are on wifi which doesn't count against your plan, so it is not representative of your data usage.

I'll agree with this one, though i don't know what they would do. Something like they have on the iPad with the 4 finger swipe would be great. Maybe a 3 finger swipe?

YES YES YES YES YES

16.) Fix Spellcheck

You can turn auto correct off independent of spell check.

All my replies are in bold in the quote

I think the other points that i didn't comment on are interesting but not a must in my mind or something i felt i needed to comment on. However as others have said, a very good, thought out post as opposed to some other "iOS 6" posts that just say "what do you think will be different?"

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Photo Stream deletions are only local. If you delete them on the Mac, they are still on the iPhone. :(
Ah, guess I'll be still passing on Photostream then.

Anyway, my situation is really similar to yours. I am taking another route and preparing to move all my stuff on Dropbox, 50GB are enough for my library and it'll still be in Time Machine. I just cannot use iPhoto on either platform anymore :/
Think I'll probably rely on the iMac to be the central iPhoto library. Was gonna store it on a NAS, but thats no use to a laptop that isn't at home.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
As far as the UI overhaul... I'm not talking anything dramatic. Just freshen some things up, add new transitions, update icons, etc. The Youtube icon is a perfect example of an icon that I think could be updated. How about the iTunes store logo? They don't just sell music, they sell movies now as well. I think we'll start seeing major UI changes once OS 11 comes around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.