Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geniusmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Monterey, CA
Hello there, as many of us here are waiting desperately for a new Mac Pro, I've been browsing around Apple's website and I found something very odd, and it leads me to believe that we might get new Mac Pros next week.
Here's a few screen shots of their pick to order widget thing on their website:
http://d.pr/i/6HM2

http://d.pr/i/kzfe

http://d.pr/i/Iqm0

What gives?
:apple:

// My local Apple Store (Apple Store Del Monte R305) pick up delivery dates have slipped. It is now showing May 1st, which is a Tuesday. We'll see.

// shipping dates decrease from 5-6 business days to 2-4 business days. Same thing applies to European stores. :(
I'm getting really tired of waiting!

// Apple Store, Spain has slipped in shipping dates. All but the 12 Core are shipping within 4 days. I believe this also applies to all of the other European stores.

// 5/7/12
Apple Store Del Monte, R305 now has Mac Pros in stock. Agh! Apple is killing me right now! This is becoming really frustrating.
Twitter: @geniousmac

// 5/9/12
Apple Store, Spain dates slip. Mac Pros now ship within 1-3 business days. :(

Last edited:

valleydesign

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Just checked in my area (minneapolis, MN) the only store that had the base mac pro in stock was the Mall of America. Every other store shows availability of April 27. Is this normal? or is something up??? **Please be an update!** :eek:

Adobe CS6 was just announced for an event tomorrow and there are a few other notable tech updates scheduled this week. Maybe somethings up? Who knows.... Come on Apple throw me a bone!!!

*** just checked the rest of the MP line and nothing is available before the 27th with one model out until the 3rd***

Aug 26, 2008
The flip side being that if every store in existence gets a huge new restock of current mac pros within the week we know we are pretty much screwed. :p

geniusmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Monterey, CA
Because that would obviously mean no new models for some time...

You're right. If we don't see an announcement this Tuesday we're screwed. Either Tuesday or Wednesday.

----------

Just checked in my area (minneapolis, MN) the only store that had the base mac pro in stock was the Mall of America. Every other store shows availability of April 27. Is this normal? or is something up??? **Please be an update!** :eek:

Adobe CS6 was just announced for an event tomorrow and there are a few other notable tech updates scheduled this week. Maybe somethings up? Who knows.... Come on Apple throw me a bone!!!

*** just checked the rest of the MP line and nothing is available before the 27th with one model out until the 3rd***

Interesting, well, we just have to wait to find out what's going to happen. I've been waiting for a while now. My MacBook Pro is slow :mad:, specially when plugged in to my 27" Cinema Display.

valleydesign

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Interesting, well, we just have to wait to find out what's going to happen. I've been waiting for a while now. My MacBook Pro is slow :mad:, specially when plugged in to my 27" Cinema Display.

In the exact situation. Plus I have been holding out for CS6 so I wouldn't mind killing two birds with one stone! CS4 on my 08 MBP is starting to be a bit of a pain.

geniusmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Monterey, CA
The Apple Stores in my area are showing April 26th for 8cores...

That's interesting. If there's an announcement Tuesday they must have them in warehouses close to their stores. I hope to see new Mac Pros, soon!
:)
Or they have them in stores but are not allowed to open the packages.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The flip side being that if every store in existence gets a huge new restock of current mac pros within the week we know we are pretty much screwed. :p

I don't think so.

Apple always sunsets machines before they are discontinued. To sunset, you have to have the machine in stock.

No stock implies no sunset implies no discontinuation.

They also wouldn't promise to have more machines later if they were going to discontinue.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't think so.

Apple always sunsets machines before they are discontinued. To sunset, you have to have the machine in stock.

They also wouldn't promise to have more machines later if they were going to discontinue.

The machines are in stock as I said before. At least in the Apple store.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The machines are in stock as I said before. At least in the Apple store.

Except people who have ordered from the Apple Store have been encountering delays, despite the online store saying "in stock."

It also, again, wouldn't make sense for the physical Apple Stores to promise new stock in a week if the machines are being discontinued.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Except people who have ordered from the Apple Store have been encountering delays, despite the online store saying "in stock."

It also, again, wouldn't make sense for the physical Apple Stores to promise new stock in a week if the machines are being discontinued.

Really only a few isolated people have experienced "ordered" delays for whatever reason.

This is all desperation thinking. Don't get your hopes up too high. There is as good a chance of seeing late summer, tomorrow or never as far as I can tell. There really is nothing solid to go on unlike all the flood of leaks about virtually all the other Apple product lines. Even the home button on the new iphone leaked today.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Still available for order on the UK site...I'm now wondering why my sales guy told me to wait...I'm going to be really mad if the refresh comes and I miss out on a great sale with my iMac....We shall see.

Aug 26, 2008
I don't think so.

This doesn't make any sense. Supply in the channel always begins to run dry before a refresh.

Doesn't mean it's happening here, but yeah, if all the stores get fresh restocks of all the Mac Pro models without an update, of course it means we aren't going to get a refresh a few weeks after that. Perhaps months, but not anytime soon.

So yes, what I said was correct.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
This doesn't make any sense. Supply in the channel always begins to run dry before a refresh.

Doesn't mean it's happening here, but yeah, if all the stores get fresh restocks of all the Mac Pro models without an update, of course it means we aren't going to get a refresh a few weeks after that. Perhaps months, but not anytime soon.

So yes, what I said was correct.

Huh? My point was if they were going to discontinue, there wouldn't be stock shortages. Apple always keeps stock for two months past a discontinuation notice, even with the PowerPCs.

There really is nothing solid to go on unlike all the flood of leaks about virtually all the other Apple product lines.

What flood of leaks? I haven't seen anything on the iMac, Mac Mini, or Macbook Air, and all are up for refreshes. The Macbook Pro rumors have been guesses, at best. No solid leaks there.

Edit:
For comparison, see the exact same freakout here: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14764069

Should we read into that that the iMacs are being discontinued?

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I just checked near me in LA, and about half of the stores had a base Quad in stock.

The rest said April 26 or 27. If I choose a 12 core, nobody had it and it was May 3. Looks like that is shipping time for them to get it shipped there.

Perhaps Mac Pro sales are so weak they just aren't going to stock them?

If anyone wants to check their local store, you have to put one in your cart and then choose "Pick Up". It is best to try with base setup since 12 Core a bit more "exotic".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 11.16.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-23 at 11.16.58 AM.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 124

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I just checked near me in LA, and about half of the stores had a base Quad in stock.

The rest said April 26 or 27. If I choose a 12 core, nobody had it and it was May 3. Looks like that is shipping time for them to get it shipped there.

Perhaps Mac Pro sales are so weak they just aren't going to stock them?

If anyone wants to check their local store, you have to put one in your cart and then choose "Pick Up". It is best to try with base setup since 12 Core a bit more "exotic".

Stores that don't carry the Mac Pro exist, and they show up as "Not Available For Pickup." Seems different.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I just went to the online apple store and tried to buy the base quad core and after adding it to my cart i have no option to pick up in any store. And the expected delivery date is April 27th.

Can someone else here try to do the same at the online store ? I think they removed the pick up at a local store option.

[edit] nevermind I was using the business store

[/edit]

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I just went to the online apple store and tried to buy the base quad core and after adding it to my cart i have no option to pick up in any store. And the expected delivery date is April 27th.

Can someone else here try to do the same at the online store ? I think they removed the pick up at a local store option.

[edit] nevermind I was using the business store

[/edit]

That's about right for delivery I'd say...Just wonder why I was told to wait before I pull the trigger....I hope the guy who wanted my iMac is still around. He offered me pretty much what I paid for it...It's not a year old, is a custom top spec. And has 16GB of RAM....I'm happy with it, but feel that the Pro would better suit my long term needs....Just wish they'd hurry up and do something.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Rumors are not "solid" by nature, but unless you have been sleeping under a rock, every other days something about an iphone part, a new slimmed down imac, cross between a macbook and an air, rumors of projected release dates, on and on. Obviously not all "solid" facts, but getting attention. Someone thinks it's cool or newsworthy. Just look at macrumors news topics alone. On the other hand, we are the only ones desperately trying to create some noise about the Mac Pro with the only widespread rumor from last year being of it's possible demise.

As an example of other Apple rumors, just from the mac rumors news 1st page of active threads just from today:

Next-Generation iPhone Part Leaks Begin with Home Buttons

Apple Predicted to Discontinue 17-Inch MacBook Pro

In-Cell Touch Technology Could Help Apple Reduce Next iPhone's Thickness by 15%

Apple to Utilize Anti-Reflective Glass in Next-Generation iMac?

Apple Reportedly Looking to Launch 'iPad Mini' Priced at $249-$299 in Q3

Updated MacBook Pro to See Significant Performance Boost with Ivy Bridge

Accessory Manufacturer Claims 15-Inch MacBook Air Coming in April

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.