Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Aug 26, 2008
It's not just stock shortages, it's full on stock outages. A major production ramp down at exactly the time Intel ships new Xeons implies refresh to me.

Yeah I agree. Especially combined with all the graphics card work that has apparently been going on in OSX.

Aug 26, 2008
Graphics card work?

Yeah all work being done to allow more cards. It's been all over this board. Someone wants more cards to be working in OSX, and it doesn't make sense that this kind of work would coincide with the one machine that would use it being EOL'd.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Yeah all work being done to allow more cards. It's been all over this board. Someone wants more cards to be working in OSX, and it doesn't make sense that this kind of work would coincide with the one machine that would use it being EOL'd.

Embedded basic drivers have always been under the hood in OS X. Apple just never finish's them so forum members hack stuff together. I thought there was "official" work being done. Thanks.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It's not just stock shortages, it's full on stock outages. A major production ramp down at exactly the time Intel ships new Xeons implies refresh to me.

Or maybe retailers realize that carrying stock now is iffy at best. I think people are reading too much in to this. Everyone knows that MP is due for a refresh NOW. Question is is it coming very soon or dead.

Aug 26, 2008
Embedded basic drivers have always been under the hood in OS X. Apple just never finish's them so forum members hack stuff together. I thought there was "official" work being done. Thanks.

I think the latest news goes beyond that. At least that was the impression given.

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
There was a recall on Mac Pros in the uk purchased in March and April. They found that the batch had faulty drives, made by WD if I recall correctly. The numbers were in the double digits so a couple are still sold.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/05/03/apple_mac_pro_recall_uk/

You can use this article to make wild! guesses as to how many Apple sell in the UK and even wilder ones on global sales...

If one third party reseller is selling in the hundreds a month 21 months after release, then how many do Apple sell in a month in the UK and globally?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.