Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Hi. Where can I purchase a power cord for my Apple TV 3rd generation (released in 2012)? I don't see it on apple.com or amazon or ebay.

Weblinks would be very helpful in your reply.

Thanks!

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
If you ask Apple they might send you a replacement since the unit is still under warranty. I would call them, rather than visiting a store.

I had lost my iMac power cable in a recent move. I called Apple and they sent me a new one overnight, free of charge.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
FYI it's a bog standard shaver cord here in North America.

Do you have a link(s)? I Google and Amazon shows some Norelco cords...much much thinner than what I currently have for a power cord.

I'm not an electrical guru but there's more to just the cord fitting the hole...I thought there were specs (of the cord) on the amount of current fed through it, etc.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I bought an ATV back from NYC recently (to the UK) and so the power lead was mouse to me.

I binned it and ordered a "figure of 8" power lead from Amazon.

Job done. :)

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm not an electrical guru but there's more to just the cord fitting the hole...I thought there were specs (of the cord) on the amount of current fed through it, etc.

It's just a regular A/C power cord, not an A/C adapter. Current isn't "fed" through the cable, the device draws how much it needs. Physical plug size is important, but as the guy right above me says, the figure 8 cord works fine.

I found this with a little searching:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-2-Slot-Non-Polarized-6ft/dp/B0017UCTX8

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.