Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Building New Cafeteria in Cupertino to Enhance Security for Satellite Campus Workers

The San Jose Mercury News reports (via The Next Web) that Apple has received approval from the City of Cupertino to build a new 21,500 square foot cafeteria several blocks away from its main headquarters. The facility is being planned to primarily support workers from Apple's satellite buildings in the immediate vicinity, giving them a private location to eat and conduct business without needing to worry about competitors overhearing their conversations.
Quote:
"We like to provide a level of security so that people and employees can feel comfortable talking about their business, their research and whatever project they're engineering without fear of competition sort of overhearing their conversations," Dan Whisenhunt, Apple's director of real estate facilities, said at Tuesday's meeting. "That is a real issue today in Cupertino because we've got other companies here in our same business."
The facility will offer a full cafeteria, as well as private meeting rooms, lounge areas, courtyard space, and a 70-space parking garage underneath the cafe. Whisenhunt notes that Apple is also in the process of developing plans to add a private cafeteria at its Results Way campus leased last July to support further expansion while the company moves forward to build its major new headquarters on the former HP campus in Cupertino.

Apple is genuinely concerned about its employees divulging secret information while socializing at outside restaurants, with Adam Lashinsky noting in his recent book Inside Apple that "company lore" suggests employees have been fired after undercover Apple security officers at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse across a parking lot from Apple's main campus overheard them sharing sensitive information in the open.

The company has of course also experienced the loss of several iPhone prototypes in outside establishments, with an iPhone 4 having disappeared in a Mountain View bar in 2010 and eventually turning up in Gizmodo's hands while an iPhone 4S apparently went missing from a San Francisco bar last year and has not been found. While Apple certainly can't prevent its employees from patronizing outside establishments, the use of privately-controlled cafes can help minimize information leaks in situations where employees are most likely to be talking with each other about their work.

Article Link: Apple Building New Cafeteria in Cupertino to Enhance Security for Satellite Campus Workers
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Bet they'll stuff a whole foods and ruth's chris steak house in there.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
coder12
macrumors 6502

More like Apple is worried about losing more phones in bars.

It's too bad, really, I liked those stories
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
So a guy can take a photo of his Sushi with the iPhone5/6 and upload it from the privacy of the Apple Cafe
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Overall they make great sandwiches but I was very disappointed that this year they started slicing the turkey a little bit thicker than previous years.
HarryKeogh is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:58 AM   #6
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Well hey, lets build a new building! New buildings all around.

We're environmentally friendly though, honest.
ThunderSkunk is offline   -21 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

no larger screen ... no iphone5..
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
slnko-v-sieti
macrumors member

As an avid eavesdropper, I can't blame them.
slnko-v-sieti is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #9
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder12 View Post
More like Apple is worried about losing more phones in bars.

It's too bad, really, I liked those stories
I lost my beer in an Apple store. It was all over Schlitzmodo.
HarryKeogh is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

When will Apple build a secure bar?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Next will be inCampus living facilities, so they would never have to leave Campus.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:07 AM   #12
JAQ
macrumors regular

Perhaps Apple could also set up its own bars, nightclubs, coffee shops, groceries, etc, so their employees won't have to socialize in public at all.
JAQ is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Good idea - I'd want people in projects to discuss over their food. From experience, it's when a lot of good ideas come about - when you're being fed and relaxed.

Having a cafe dedicated to being able to openly discuss your project among peers will be beneficial.
Kilamite is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #14
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries? How many people work at this company? How many people does it take to get a simple task done? How many product launches do we get a year?
GREEN4U is offline   -23 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:22 AM   #15
Canaan
macrumors member

In other news, plans for apple's new employee city have just been released. Details include a heavy stress on security, buildings without windows, and lots of aluminum and glass.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN4U View Post
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries?
Well I have read things that have stated that Apple employees actually tend to make less than say Google, or Microsoft equivalents. (May not be for every position, but I'm sure about it stating programmers)
Canaan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:24 AM   #16
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Well they can certainly afford to build the cafeteria with all those billions in earnings. It seems like an expensive solution to the security problem.
Couldn't they just put in in the employee agreement that you can't divulge Apple secrets? Works great as an employee perk though. If you have a friend working at Apple, can they invite you to lunch there? If so, Macrumors.com has a job offer for you.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:24 AM   #17
bsolar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries?
A cafeteria is not only a place where you waste time. First of all you can relax and be a lot more productive when you go back to work. On top of that it can be an excellent place to discuss new ideas in a less formal way (which can stimulate creativity).
bsolar is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Vertigo50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I doubt Apple employees are as productive as everyone thinks they are. Isn't there some statistic that on average 38% of the workday is wasted by employees. Do Apple employees really need these restaurants and perks, on top of their already comfy salaries? How many people work at this company? How many people does it take to get a simple task done? How many product launches do we get a year?
So let me guess, if it was your company, YOU would want a nice cafeteria AND a comfy salary, but when it's someone else, they don't deserve it.

Envious much?
Vertigo50 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:27 AM   #19
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Why so much criticism? Most large institutions have their own cafeteria.
Sedulous is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
foodog
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
Well hey, lets build a new building! New buildings all around.

We're environmentally friendly though, honest.
No doubt, let go back to living in caves.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Inakto
macrumors regular

iCafeteria.
Inakto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
You make that post like you think Apple doesn't already have a cafe on their campus. I don't think you read the article properly? This is a second cafe just for employees, no one else.
Kilamite is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:32 AM   #23
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedulous View Post
The criticism is they build a satellite campus/campus to keep their secrets safe, as if they have a HUGE need to keep their secrets safe. Talk about ego trip. Nobody really cares and those who do will find other ways to "infiltrate" the company. This satellite cafeteria just a publicity stunt to make Apple look like the greatest, most secret company ever. When really, the people who work there are just Joe Blows like the rest of us, who probably waste 18hrs/week on the internet like everyone else.
GREEN4U is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:34 AM   #24
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

It's not like competition would overhear useful secret conversations.

All they would hear are fashion advise "Uh-uh. Boy, you know you shouldn't be wearing that shirt."
iSteve-O is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #25
ramuman
macrumors regular

Quote:
The criticism is they build a satellite campus/campus to keep their secrets safe, as if they have a HUGE need to keep their secrets safe. Talk about ego trip. Nobody really cares and those who do will find other ways to "infiltrate" the company. This satellite cafeteria just a publicity stunt to make Apple look like the greatest, most secret company ever. When really, the people who work there are just Joe Blows like the rest of us, who probably waste 18hrs/week on the internet like everyone else.
Depending on the day and metrics, they're worth about as much as Google, Intel, and Microsoft combined - so I'm guessing they did something right. They can have an ego trip if they want.
ramuman is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion