Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jul 6, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
zelmo
macrumors 603

move iTunes library to new user

What is the easiest way to move the music and photo libraries from the Home folder into a new user folder?
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Checkout how Apple suggest you share music between accounts on a single machine. You should get a few ideas there...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:08 PM   #3
zelmo
macrumors 603

Am I reading between the lines properly - all I have to do is copy the files into the shared folder, log out, log back in under her user, then copy them into her folder?

Last edited by zelmo; Jul 6, 2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: 'cause I'm a freakin' idiot sometimes
zelmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok. I didn't mean you should do exactly as the article said, just that you might be able to get an idea or two from it...

What if you try to (with help from the article above), from your old (admin) account, Consolidate the music out to a "neutral" place (e.g. /Documents/), copy the iTunes Library file to her ~/Music/iTunes/ folder, and then, from your daughters account Consolidate it into somewhere in her Home folder, e.g. ~/Music/iTunes/ where there should be an iTunes Music folder by default?

And with iPhoto I have no better idea then to export all the images e.g. to /Documents/ and then import them from there when in your daughters account.

Edit: I see you took the point before I managed to explain it...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:29 PM   #5
zelmo
macrumors 603

Gee, can I get banned for calling myself an idiot?

This all makes sense to me now. I don't know where my head was, but I've gotta take a shower to get this stuff off my face

Thanks for the friendly kick in the seat. Glad you missed my head.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 06:34 PM   #6
GodBless
macrumors 65816

If you have a root account enabled it is even easier. You can skip the step of copying the files to the shared folder.
GodBless is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X